How to de-stink Stinky?

vili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I apologise if this has been covered already a number of times, but I couldn't find anything with a few searches. You wouldn't, by the way, realise how many posts on these forums turn up with the search "smell". Maybe that says something about our feline friends.

We took in a five-month-old kitten just before Christmas, and in spite of our best efforts couldn't find anyone missing him. This is not unusual, as this area has a lot of stray cats. Since it was cold outside, the shelters didn't want him, and he had clearly chosen us (he kept sleeping outside of our front door until we took him in), we decided to adopt him. After the vet pronounced him healthy we proceeded to properly introduce him to our somewhat protesting 3-year-old queen. To my great surprise, after a couple of days the two became buddies, and they now play together, and sleep next to each other.

The newcomer, however, has one rather distinct quality -- smell. It is not that his coat would smell, and even the breath smell is manageable (apparently it will get better after the baby teeth come out). There is just rather often that very distinct poo smell emanating from him. Well, the bottom part of him, to be more exact. And his poo smells on a level totally different from our older cat. This one could be used in chemical weapons.

It may be that because he has long black hair something we can't see gets stuck when he uses the litter. His bottom itself seems clean. I also thought that he might be passing wind, but the smell lingers about longer than that (or maybe he is a biological gas factory).

Save for the idea of hanging one of those "Little Tree" car air fresheners on his tail, I don't really know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

And do you think it could be food or health related? One idea I have is that his stomach might not yet be quite accustomed to the type of food we feed him. We have also been forced to feed him some adult cat food, as we ran out of the kitten brand sooner than we thought. I am also thinking of taking him to the vet again for this, just to make sure.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have found it to be food related, the better quality the food the less the smell. Mine got some Whiskers in their Christmas stockings and stunk the house out

catlady4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try giving him plain yogurt, it will improve the chemical balance in his stomach. It takes awhile for the good diet he is now getting, to diminish the effects of the poor diet he had while being outside on his own. If this matter does not clear up in a reasonable time, he should go back for another Vet visit.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At our house, we call that "a$$ grease." A higher fiber cat food will remedy it as it will bulk up the poo which will "self express" the anal glands, preventing the leaking of the "grease" later.

Acidophilus and yogurt is a great idea as well.

Cally

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the ideas! I will certainly try yoghurt, and think about the fibres. I might try another food brand as well, although what we currently feed is already towards the higher price spectrum, and the older cat doesn't smell at all. I'll see how it goes.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of food are you currently feeding? And has he been checked for worms?

Since he's longhair, he might be getting poop stuck in the area. I'd try clipping the hair under the tail to keep cleaner. Also you might want to give him a complete bath and see if that helps. Be sure all tangles are out of the coat before wetting and use a more top quality shampoo and conditioner - like Nexxus or one of the other top brands

vili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

What kind of food are you currently feeding?
It's the normal higher-than-medium but lower-than-luxury type of dry and wet cat food. Our older cat likes both, and prefers to have them mixed.

And has he been checked for worms?
Yes, he was.

Since he's longhair, he might be getting poop stuck in the area. I'd try clipping the hair under the tail to keep cleaner.
I think I might actually try that! Thanks!

Also you might want to give him a complete bath and see if that helps.
We did that when we took him in, and then again about a week later. It certainly took away the smell for a while, but then it returned again fairly soon.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may also want to have his anal glands expressed--sometimes they can get too full and cause bigger problems.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You said he had been checked for worms, but did he get dewormer with a follow up course?

Sometimes they don't show up in a fecal even though they are present. The latest dumped cat that moved in with us who is named Stinker was dewormed right off, but it did not get rid of all of them. I have since taken him to the vet and gotten Panacur for him and he will be getting his second course of that next week.

Another cause could be a sensitive tummy. My Boo is one of those and if she gets too much wet food she can just about peel the paint off the walls with her little gas bombs and they are frequent too.

I'm sure you will get it worked out over time. Have you considered trying gas masks during cuddle time?
(just kidding!)

vili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

You said he had been checked for worms, but did he get dewormer with a follow up course?
No, he didn't. I think I'll mention this to the vet.

Originally Posted by tru

Another cause could be a sensitive tummy.
This might be it. I took a listen to his tummy, and there is certainly something going on in there. And this was before dinner time.

Originally Posted by tru

Have you considered trying gas masks during cuddle time?
(just kidding!)
LOL

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with the suggestions to re-check for worms and to give him yogurt. Also, remember that he's still in the adjustment period after moving in - it can take 2-3 weeks or more to get used to a new food, even without the added stress of changing his whole way of life.