Best dog breed to have around cats?

blackcat123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We may get a dog next year but are not sure because of of cats as they come first. Any suggestions?

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been my experience that breed doesn't matter as much as them being raised around them.

But if your wanting to adopt an older dog go for breeds that are not prey driven . Example of a prey driven breed is a husky.

Are you wanting a small, medium, or large dog? It's important that the breed also fit within your lifestyle. Yahoo has a breed selector you could try. It will ask you a series of questions to best fit the breed qualities for your home.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any breed is fine as long as you lay out the ground rules to your dog that the cat belongs to YOU, and that should the dog touch the cat, it will die.

My first dog LOVED to chase cats out of the yard, she would never hurt one, she's all into the chase. I brought a cat home and like my chickens, she completely respected them as being mine. The puppy I got soon after understood the cat was at the house first, and although they are good play mates, if she gets rough or too annoying for Napolean, I can tell her to leave him alone and she will.

Like Salem Witch Child said, I would stay away from Huskies, German Shepherds, breed like that that have a high prey drive. I know that there are people with Shepherds and Huskies that do fine with cats, but both breeds are prone to small animal aggression, so I would be careful. Odds are if you get a puppy and that puppy is raised around your cats, the puppy will understand the cats aren't to be touched. I think I'd also stay away from Small Terriers, again, it's all in what they are raised with, but those little terriers can have a pretty big prey drive.

My younger dog LiLo is a Shepherd mix, she has killed one of my chickens, but the way she looks at my chickens and my cats are totally different. She respects the cats because they live in the house with her, where as the chickens are outside and more of a "free game" than anything else. So really, it can be done. You just need to be careful.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're putting the cats first. It's good to do your research and consider the idea of adding a dog to your household very carefully.

These articles have some good information:

Cats and Dogs

Cat-to-Dog Introductions

You can sometimes find really good dogs at the shelter. Ask the shelter staff if they have any dogs that are known to be good with cats. Before you take the dog home, make sure they will allow you to bring it back if it doesn't work out with the cats.

We got our dog (a Lab/GSD/? mix) as a young adult from the shelter - since they didn't have any dogs they knew for certain were good with cats, we looked carefully for a dogs that seemed gentle by nature, and got permission from the shelter to see how they behaved around the shelter cats. We immediately disqualified dogs that attempted to lunge at, chase, or who stared intently at the cats as though trying to stalk them.

When I took the dog we ended up adopting to see the shelter cats, her first reaction was to walk up to them and to try to sniff noses with them & sniff their bottoms - a good sign that she saw them as equals rather than as prey.

Then we did introductions very carefully. Things worked out well, and they get along fine - but we still never leave the dog loose unsupervised around the cats, just to be safe. When we're not home, she stays in her kennel or out in the fenced backyard, or occasionally I'll put the cats up in the bedroom & give her the run of the house.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always had Basset Hounds I raised them for years, never had a problem with this breed getting along with the cats, there generally pretty mellow and Easy going. I have 1 female now and she Loves the Cats although with 8 cats she sometimes feels like she's walking around in a land mine

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am only leary of putting Pits with cats .... I have had terriers , GSD , dalmation/ springers, mutts and pits with cats and the pit was the only one I didnt trust with cats( she was not a full time dog and thus I didnt train her like the others ) ....

Given the right dog the right human and the right cat with training cat and dog relationship should be fine...Case in pt right now my Yorkie( she is high drive) and her sister the cat are laying curled up together ...

dogsdirtbike24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In addition to the above groups I would also be very wary of sighthounds (greyhounds, afghans etc) and some pointers. Any breed can work but it may take alot of supervision and training and you may never be able to leave them alone unsupervised. We have 3 dogs a pug x, a lab and a pit/lab x and no one is ever left alone unsupervised with the cat. If we leave the house the cat is closed into the cat room and the dogs are crated. It really does depend on the dog and level of training but certain breeds are going to be easier.

Something else to consider is that the cat can hurt smaller breeds, be careful of anything with large protruding eyes as these can easily be damaged by cat claws.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about a pittie anymore than I would any other breed of dog. As long as the pup is raised with the cats, it shouldn't be an issue. I've seen plenty of pibbles that got along perfectly well with cats.

I think if you are wanting a purebred puppy, the best thing to do is to go to a dog show and talk to the breeders/handlers/owners of the dogs you like, and get their opinion of it.

I'd stay away from adopting an adult dog unless you know for sure that it is cat friendly. I was lucky when I brought Mia home, she took to the cats right away and they all sleep and snuggle with her since day one and she hasn't had an issue with it at all. She's a Mexican Hairless.. though I don't recommend this breed if you have fiesty cats! Them being naked isn't good for playful kitties.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am on my second Dalmatian, raised with cats. Both dogs have been wonderful, to the point of playing, snuggling and even allowing kittens to "nurse".

Pearl, my pit/shepherd/??? mix is also great with cats. She's a bit too energetic, for the boys' tastes but Rowdy loves to romp and wrestle with Pearl. I put a baby gate across the hallway door, so that the boys can get away from Pearl. She would never harm them but, Opie and Buddy don't like to be slobbered on

My parents have a Great Dane, who is AFRAID of kittens. A friend stopped by, with a kitten and big ol' Brewster cowered and hid behind my dad

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister's dog Macy has lived with us for the last year and she is a boxer and she is great with everything but she has been her since she was a puppy.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would agree that it realy depends on how the dog is raised and trained. When I was a child we had German Shephards, Great Danes, Bassets and mutts - and nver had a problem with them interacting with my cats. (I was the cat person in the family) Also, my folks had/have labs and they have always been good with cats!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful of terrier types - some cannot be trusted with cats without supervision (jack russel terriers). And this was from a JRT message board about sever JRT's that had been raised with cats from a pup - the person came home one day to their dead cats - killed by the JRT allowed loose in the house. They recommend to crate the JRT if you can't be there to watch him with cats.

We own a labrador - most labs are great with cats - Keno loves her 2 kitty siblings. She's also raised 2 litters of barn kittens (when they came in the house at 5 weeks old).

linelle707

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used to have a female lab/springer mix. Got her as a puppy with adult cats already established in the house. She was wonderful with cats, even kittens that we later adopted. In fact, the cats were crazy about her and would rub her legs when dinner was being prepared. Our female cat treated the dog as her child, cleaning her face and inside her ears, and basically smothering her with maternal affection.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is really old.. I think it depends on the dog but it doesn't matter if the dog is raised with the cats, there is a chance they can see them as prey when they grow up. With that said, I have a coonhound and 2 terriers who are amazing with my cats but they are never alone together while we are gone!

carly.harper1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey
I have 2 cavaliers whom share the house with me, my children and our cats
Our 2 yr old cavvy was bought up with our cats so thinks she is one
She play fights with them and even let one of our cats suckle her before! She seems to generally feel right at home with the cats as do they with her
Our latest addition is another cavalier, pippin, whom also really loves the cats. Only problem with pippin is that he gets a bit over excited when he sees them and occasionally they get rather fed up and scratch him
oh well, im sure their just establishing who runs the show

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thing I'd like to mention. If you have a butt head cat, don't get a nice sweet gentle small dog. My little dachshund beagle mix is 15 years old, sweet, happy, nice, non-aggressive dog. So Fin, because he's a butt, walks into her path and sits down. My hallway is narrow. Poor dog can't get through
. My other dogs are much more agile and jump over him.

morningrl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One block shy of Crazyville, West Virginia
Originally Posted by blackcat123

We may get a dog next year but are not sure because of of cats as they come first. Any suggestions?
It's good that you are researching. I agree with many here, having had dogs and cats together all my life and never having trouble with any... including a pit that thought she was mother to an abandoned litter of 4 kittens years ago, I had a beagle/mix that would tear a rabbit to pieces if it ran through the yard... but never touched the cat in the house other than to cuddle together at night.
And I now have two shih tzu who do lovely with the cats... they know who runs things around here

I would determine what type dog suits the whole household, including cats... look at activity levels, prey drives, all that... and have your cats ever been around dogs... if not they may take some time to get used to this new beast
Especially if it's a bouncy puppy just wanting to give puppy kisses... the cat my think it's trying to attack.

They can get along fine... people often ask me how I get my animals to get along so well... I just say I raised them expecting no less.

danewillow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've had Danes of our own and many fosters and haven't really had any problems. It's 4+ years since this thread started. Wondering what dog the OP ended up with.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd like also to remind folks that this thread started in 2007 and is very old. If you have something new to share about the mixed species in your homes, please open another thread, so that people will see it and respond to it.

petlover26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a large, 100 lb Rottweiler-German Shepard mixed dog and we had him for 3 years before a cat adopted us (showed up at the door one day) and of course she was pregnant.  He took her in and was not aggressive to her in the least.  We also adopted 2 rabbits and allowed them to be in the yard with him, he did play a little ruff one time and we corrected him very firmly (he always wanted to please us) and that was the last time it happened.  He loved all animals and all the kittens once they were born.  We kept 2 and they slept with him.  At times they actually took over his bed and would groom his nails.  I'm not sure if the breed has anything to do with it as much as the training of the dog and how much they are exercised, plus their temperament.  He knew the difference between wild animals and the ones that belonged to him.  He would chase wild rabbits out of the fence but never our own animals.  My thoughts are if they run and dog will chase it!