My cat does not meow, has almost no voice?

blackcat123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is 1 1/2. I found him and raised him from about 3-4 weeks old. He has been around an older female cat(not related) all his life that is very vocal so its not like he just was not around other cats and never learned/heard what a cat sounds like. He makes quiet gaspy/raspy sounds once in while but no meows or other normal sounds. He did some meows and hisses when a baby but that was it. He is healthy and been to vet. Shot, neuter etc. Just did not ask about the no voice thing. Does anyone haave a cat that is like this or heard about this sort of thiing before? Thanks.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are cats like that, he's not alone, but I suppose if you asked your vet to take a look down his throat at his vocal cords to see if there's anything wrong it wouldn't hurt. I really just think he's one of the quiet ones though, and unless something else becomes obvious, I wouldn't worry a lot.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat like that too. He'd only make a little squeaky voice once in awhile. Hence his name squeakers. It never became a problem and was just a cute personality quirk.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My SiL has a cat like that he is 9 and has never made a sound, he is fit and healthy just has nothing to say

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My vet told me that some cats just don't meow or or not very vocal. My Marge never meows--just squeaks. It still wouldn't hurt to ask your vet, but I think everything sounds normal with your cat.

MargeCat

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scampi Marie is a squeaker, she sounds like a mouse and has never meowed.

If your cat has never had a voice it's probably just the way he is. You could always ask your vet just to rule out any problems.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blackcat123

He is 1 1/2. I found him and raised him from about 3-4 weeks old. He has been around an older female cat(not related) all his life that is very vocal so its not like he just was not around other cats and never learned/heard what a cat sounds like. He makes quiet gaspy/raspy sounds once in while but no meows or other normal sounds. He did some meows and hisses when a baby but that was it. He is healthy and been to vet. Shot, neuter etc. Just did not ask about the no voice thing.
Does anyone haave a cat that is like this or heard about this sort of thiing before?
Thanks.
I cannot hear my cat meow at all and he is eight months old but my wife can hear him. I know a lot of people that would be happy with this arrangment, but I was worried about this too, until I started reading this forum and seeing how normal it was.

sweatereyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
dante is real quiet too, he would make clicky noises occasionally, but i think i've only ever heard him meow once. i asked the vet and he said it was normal and that some kitties just make different noises.

purefusion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jaden has a very quiet voice as well. She can meow and does, in the mornings when she wants her "meow mix." Some times, she'll open her mouth as if she's meowing but no sound comes out. The rest of the time she makes these little chirp sounds, which we call twitters. It's very cute actually. I think different cats just make different noises, which their owners adapt to. There really isn't a set "cat" language.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our Mika has a voice defect (something to do with the shape of her voicebox) so she can't meow either. She makes little "huffing" noises which I think are just adorable but I'm also very biased.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our Rusty is very quiet also, He is a big macho looking guy but he has a real high squeaky meow when he does "talk". Panther who has the same mom as Rusty but Panther is from a earlier bunch of kittens is always "talking" and he has a nice sounding voice. My kitten Cozmo has a deeper voice than Rusty does.
Rusty was real sick and almost died when he was small, I wonder if that has anything to do with his high voice.

awsome pawsomes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Cats all sound different. Puddems is a yowler. He has got to be heard. Tinkerbell opens her mouth but nothing comes out. Except when she is talking to her babies. then it is a quiet little brrrow. Kink has a sweet little meow. Puss Chirps and grumbles. The 2 girl kits Tiffany and Christine have sweet lil voices but Chucky the boy has a ruff meow. So cute coming out of an 8 week old kitten.
Everyone is different.

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our Penelope was a stray that had severe bronchitis when I rescued her - her vocal chords were damaged so she has a very teeny meow. But she's quite happy and gets her messages across in other ways!

What is amusing is that a year ago we got her a brother, Maverick - he mimics her teeny meow now and I know he has a good set of lungs on him!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

my cat rarely meows. she will chirp when bird watching and makes a little squeak when she jumps into my lap but she definitely is not a talker. I have never heard her hiss either. Once she growled slightly at the vets.

i like it.
Mine chirp too - but only when they are watching birds outside

I love the chirps!!
Especially when I get 2 or 3 of them going at the same time.

As for having no "meow" - Pebbles is like that. In fact many times she opens her mouth and nothing comes out. I know she can do it - I've heard her, but she's got a way of trying to sound pathetic.
It's the cutest thing to see them open their mouth to meow and silence...hehe.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

Mine chirp too - but only when they are watching birds outside

I love the chirps!!
Especially when I get 2 or 3 of them going at the same time.

As for having no "meow" - Pebbles is like that. In fact many times she opens her mouth and nothing comes out. I know she can do it - I've heard her, but she's got a way of trying to sound pathetic.
It's the cutest thing to see them open their mouth to meow and silence...hehe.
A definite ploy for attention.

How could you not love em'?

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had read and seen on a TV special about Cats that "naturally" they don't meow. In other words, Cats don't meow at each other... Meowing is what they do with and around HUMANS only, as an attempt to communicate with us.

I'd imagine, since we've all heard all different kinds of meowing, trilling, squeaking, that each cat's attempt to communicate with it's human can be different

Wouldn't hurt to mention it to the vet, but he's probably fine

eudevie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My old kitty Megan was an odd meower too. She would leave out the "me" part. or she would open her mouth and nothing would come out. It was so cute.

One of our cats now, Morgan, doesn't really meow. She coos like a bird! Its like: "mwrrrrr"... When she's playing or running about, she will make cooing sounds. Or when she wants my door open, I'll hear her. She sounds so sad, but looks happy when she does it. (Unless you look at her eyes...they are round! Her eyes always look sad because of this. Her nick-name is "Button-eyes")
Sometimes when she's looking for Dash (Our other cat. They love playing together.) she'll make that sound. It is odd.