My 8 month old female kitty,Sophia, was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex a few months ago. This is a type of allergic reaction. There is a tendency for this condition to occur in adolescent kittens. A few months ago I noticed that both her footpads on her left paws (front and back) were red and looked ulcerated. Her left side of her bottom lip was also red and ulcerated. I took her to the vet and he did a biopsy on them and sent it out to a dermatology specialist and they determined it was EGC. She was put on an antibiotic and special topical cream for her pads and it went away. Now, (a few months later) I noticed a small bump in her ear and her lower lip is all fat & swollen. Tomorrow I am calling the vet. Last time he told me she would probably get a recurrence. This is difficult because it is hard to determine what is causing this reaction. First culprit is usually a bug bite (Flea, mosquito,etc.) We ruled out fleas.Totally indoor cat with no scratching and no indication of fleas. I checked with flea comb. Vet also checked. Next is a food allergy. The vet mentioned he might want to start her on Hill's pea & venison allergy food. I just read that venison is an allergen and that rabbit would be a better alternative. Does anyone know anything about this? I understand that Royal Canin makes a pea & rabbit formula, and Nature's Variety Prairie Rabbit canned, and Nature's Logic Rabbit Dinner. She's currently on Felidae Dry and Nutro Max Cat wet and has been on this diet since I adopted her at 9 weeks old. Can a food allergy take this long to surface? Another possible cause of this condition could be any airborne allergen. Very hard to determine. Has anyone heard of this problem in cats? They treat this with antibiotics, antihistamines,sometimes cortisone & hormone therapy which can be dangerous and has many bad side effects. Hormones can cause diabetes or mammary cancer. I hate to even put her on antibiotics again. That can't be good for a kitten to always be on medication every few months. She is such a sweet and affectionate kitty, and I hate to see her get these outbreaks every few months. How dangerous is this syndrome? Is it life threatening? If anyone has heard of this I would appreciate any input. Thanks so much.
post #1 of 4
1/1/07 at 7:48pm