blood in stool??? HELP!!

longhornchick29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so my boyfriend andI just got in from a week away from our babies and while we were gone we had a friend come watch them for us. (he only visited once a day to feed and water them) Just now I changed the litter in both boxes and Ivy, my 4 month old kitten, jumped right in the new litter to poop (which she always does) I waited until she was done to put the lid back on and when she moved there was blood in her poop!!!
I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!! I had to use toilet paper on her butt to wipe the blood off so she didn't get it everywhere. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN??? It's 9:30pm here and I don't have a vet I can call. She is acting completely normal though..... eating like crazy, drinking and running around like the kitten she is. I mean I am sure she is/has been stressed, we have been gone a week and just got in two hours ago. Could this be the cause?? Please someone give me some advice...

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look around to see if she might have ate something she shouldn't. Is she on worm medicine? My dog also did this and it was worms in the Gi tract. Is their a vet you could at least call? I say if she's acting fine it's ok to wait till the morning. Just keep a close eye on her and you might want to take a stool sample in with you.. I know gross but it can help the vet narrow it down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

longhornchick29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I take the stool sample if she covered it with litter? Its the only piece of poop in there, but its covered in litter now. Also, if she does have worms, am I gonna need to worry about my other cat? There is a very good possibility she ate something she shouldnt have. We have been gone a week and tried to kitten-proof the apartment as best we could...but how would I know?

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Longhornchick29

Can I take the stool sample if she covered it with litter? Its the only piece of poop in there, but its covered in litter now. Also, if she does have worms, am I gonna need to worry about my other cat? There is a very good possibility she ate something she shouldnt have. We have been gone a week and tried to kitten-proof the apartment as best we could...but how would I know?
I think litter on it would be fine.

If she has worms you might ask your vet to give you extra wormer for your other animals. It shouldn't cost too much for a basic all purpose wormer.

Look around your house to see if theirs anything on the floor that shouldn't be or any peices of wrapper..etc..

longhornchick29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did see a rubber band and I just found a sort of chewed up piecce of a twist tie....I tried to clean up alot before we left... I feel so bad now!!
I want her to be OK. She is acting totally fine though...and when I took the litter out I glanced at it all and it all looked normal. No blood in any of that. She is also having alot of stinky gas. I noticed it when we got home. I thought she was just stressed/excited and maybe had just eaten. But she is still doing it. What is going to happen if she has eaten metal???

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok. This just means to take her in tomorrow. As long as she's not lethargic, consitipated or bloated, throwing up..etc... she should be ok.. Hopefully whatever she ate is small enough to pass.

longhornchick29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well if it was a small metal piece what is going to have to happen to her?? And she is acting totally normal..she is chasing the other cat around right now and they are having a good time...I just want her to be OK.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Longhornchick29

Well if it was a small metal piece what is going to have to happen to her?? And she is acting totally normal..she is chasing the other cat around right now and they are having a good time...I just want her to be OK.
I really can't answer that for you. Only the vet can tell you. If it's small enough it will just pass. If not well the vet can give you options.

longhornchick29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok Thanks for everything...I will just watch her closely and take her in tomorrow.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give her a small amount of smelly canned cat Figaro Tuna is pretty smelly and cats generally love it. Mix in some mineral oil not a lot, just about a teaspoon, mix well. It could be stress, it could be worms but if it was something she found when she was left to her own devices, the oil may help to move it through her system. If she becomes lethargic, or her third eyelid starts to show, or she just acts off, find a vet to call.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two kittens had the same problem. I had my Vet tested them and it was negative for any worms. Another possible thing is that your cat is probably stressed. Cats get stress very easy. What I did was fed my kittens two big spoonful of butternet squash (baby food). They stopped bleeding after two #2. My Vet said they were probably constipated and I think that might be true because I have noticed Jumpy was having difficult time doing his #2.

If your cat sleeps with you, you might want to check your bedsheets to see if there are any "rice" like pellets. If so, those are definitely worms. My friend's cat had this problem.

longhornchick29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK so small update....This morning I got up and all was still fine. She was still acting and eating normal. I decided that before I jumped to any conclusions that I would watch her all day and follow her around to see when she used her litterbox to see if there was anymore blood. So far she has not gone poop yet. She has however gone in the litterbox and squatted only to leave a little wet spot, about the size of a dime, in the litter. I took the lid off to make sure there wasn't any poop in there and that stuff didn't smell like urine. What is this stuff? And is there any reason why she hasn't gone poop yet? Come to think of it, she doesn't go that often...but I am just wondering why she hasn't yet today. She has been eating and drinking normally and acting normal.

longhornchick29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it was bright red. I thought that it may have happened because she always likes to come poop in the new litter as soon as I fill it. She looked like she was straining to get some out...could that have been it?

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might just be constipated then - the squash or some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling type - look for just plain pumpkin) in her wet food can help with that, or adding wet food to her diet if she's just on dry. It definately can't hurt to at least call the vet though and get his/her opinion. You don't want to be sitting around trying to treat something minor, however likely it is that its nothing big, only to find you missed something major. The odds are good she's just stressed, glad to see Meowmy again, and will be right as rain very soon. Best of luck!

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

She might just be constipated then - the squash or some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling type - look for just plain pumpkin) in her wet food can help with that, or adding wet food to her diet if she's just on dry. It definately can't hurt to at least call the vet though and get his/her opinion. You don't want to be sitting around trying to treat something minor, however likely it is that its nothing big, only to find you missed something major. The odds are good she's just stressed, glad to see Meowmy again, and will be right as rain very soon. Best of luck!
Yes,I agree,sometimes a blood vessel will rupture if they're constipated and straining.

Though you suspected she may have eaten something,which could have been the cause of the blood.It really isn't worth taking the chance.Getting the vet nurse to have a look costs absolutely next to nothing,but if she thinks there is a problem she will advise that she see the vet.
It's better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck

jokieman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm no animal expert but my wife is a Nurse and bright red blood is a sign of hemorrhaging, this is NEVER a good thing. Also the fact that she went #1 very little tells me that this kitty definitely needs to see a vet fast. If she's got the wire from the twist tie in her stomach or intestines it could be tearing things up inside of her.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having the same problem you are with one of my abyssinians. He gets a really stinky poop with blood at the end. I got a stool sample and took it to the vet last week. It tested negative for parasites. The vet thinks he has a stress colin syndrom. The way my vet explained to me since it was blood at the end of the poop, it wasn't a internal bleeding. If it was internal the blood would be absorbed in the poop and digested, making the poop black.

I hope I said that right..

jokieman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

I am having the same problem you are with one of my abyssinians. He gets a really stinky poop with blood at the end. I got a stool sample and took it to the vet last week. It tested negative for parasites. The vet thinks he has a stress colin syndrom. The way my vet explained to me since it was blood at the end of the poop, it wasn't a internal bleeding. If it was internal the blood would be absorbed in the poop and digested, making the poop black.

I hope I said that right..
You did
Black poop is something to watch for in humans as well, it can be indicative of bowel problems or colon cancer.