TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › blood in stool??? HELP!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

blood in stool??? HELP!!

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Ok so my boyfriend andI just got in from a week away from our babies and while we were gone we had a friend come watch them for us. (he only visited once a day to feed and water them) Just now I changed the litter in both boxes and Ivy, my 4 month old kitten, jumped right in the new litter to poop (which she always does) I waited until she was done to put the lid back on and when she moved there was blood in her poop!!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!! I had to use toilet paper on her butt to wipe the blood off so she didn't get it everywhere. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN??? It's 9:30pm here and I don't have a vet I can call. She is acting completely normal though..... eating like crazy, drinking and running around like the kitten she is. I mean I am sure she is/has been stressed, we have been gone a week and just got in two hours ago. Could this be the cause?? Please someone give me some advice...
post #2 of 24
Look around to see if she might have ate something she shouldn't. Is she on worm medicine? My dog also did this and it was worms in the Gi tract. Is their a vet you could at least call? I say if she's acting fine it's ok to wait till the morning. Just keep a close eye on her and you might want to take a stool sample in with you.. I know gross but it can help the vet narrow it down.
post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 
Can I take the stool sample if she covered it with litter? Its the only piece of poop in there, but its covered in litter now. Also, if she does have worms, am I gonna need to worry about my other cat? There is a very good possibility she ate something she shouldnt have. We have been gone a week and tried to kitten-proof the apartment as best we could...but how would I know?
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornchick29 View Post
Can I take the stool sample if she covered it with litter? Its the only piece of poop in there, but its covered in litter now. Also, if she does have worms, am I gonna need to worry about my other cat? There is a very good possibility she ate something she shouldnt have. We have been gone a week and tried to kitten-proof the apartment as best we could...but how would I know?
I think litter on it would be fine.

If she has worms you might ask your vet to give you extra wormer for your other animals. It shouldn't cost too much for a basic all purpose wormer.

Look around your house to see if theirs anything on the floor that shouldn't be or any peices of wrapper..etc..
post #5 of 24
Thread Starter 
I did see a rubber band and I just found a sort of chewed up piecce of a twist tie....I tried to clean up alot before we left... I feel so bad now!! I want her to be OK. She is acting totally fine though...and when I took the litter out I glanced at it all and it all looked normal. No blood in any of that. She is also having alot of stinky gas. I noticed it when we got home. I thought she was just stressed/excited and maybe had just eaten. But she is still doing it. What is going to happen if she has eaten metal???
post #6 of 24
ok. This just means to take her in tomorrow. As long as she's not lethargic, consitipated or bloated, throwing up..etc... she should be ok.. Hopefully whatever she ate is small enough to pass.
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
Well if it was a small metal piece what is going to have to happen to her?? And she is acting totally normal..she is chasing the other cat around right now and they are having a good time...I just want her to be OK.
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornchick29 View Post
Well if it was a small metal piece what is going to have to happen to her?? And she is acting totally normal..she is chasing the other cat around right now and they are having a good time...I just want her to be OK.
I really can't answer that for you. Only the vet can tell you. If it's small enough it will just pass. If not well the vet can give you options.
post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Ok Thanks for everything...I will just watch her closely and take her in tomorrow.
post #10 of 24
Give her a small amount of smelly canned cat Figaro Tuna is pretty smelly and cats generally love it. Mix in some mineral oil not a lot, just about a teaspoon, mix well. It could be stress, it could be worms but if it was something she found when she was left to her own devices, the oil may help to move it through her system. If she becomes lethargic, or her third eyelid starts to show, or she just acts off, find a vet to call.
post #11 of 24
My two kittens had the same problem. I had my Vet tested them and it was negative for any worms. Another possible thing is that your cat is probably stressed. Cats get stress very easy. What I did was fed my kittens two big spoonful of butternet squash (baby food). They stopped bleeding after two #2. My Vet said they were probably constipated and I think that might be true because I have noticed Jumpy was having difficult time doing his #2.

If your cat sleeps with you, you might want to check your bedsheets to see if there are any "rice" like pellets. If so, those are definitely worms. My friend's cat had this problem.
post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 
OK so small update....This morning I got up and all was still fine. She was still acting and eating normal. I decided that before I jumped to any conclusions that I would watch her all day and follow her around to see when she used her litterbox to see if there was anymore blood. So far she has not gone poop yet. She has however gone in the litterbox and squatted only to leave a little wet spot, about the size of a dime, in the litter. I took the lid off to make sure there wasn't any poop in there and that stuff didn't smell like urine. What is this stuff? And is there any reason why she hasn't gone poop yet? Come to think of it, she doesn't go that often...but I am just wondering why she hasn't yet today. She has been eating and drinking normally and acting normal.
post #13 of 24
I really think you should take her to the vet.
If she's not right then something is wrong,It needs investigating.
What colour was the blood in her stool? was it bright red or dark reddish brown?
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
it was bright red. I thought that it may have happened because she always likes to come poop in the new litter as soon as I fill it. She looked like she was straining to get some out...could that have been it?
post #15 of 24
She might just be constipated then - the squash or some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling type - look for just plain pumpkin) in her wet food can help with that, or adding wet food to her diet if she's just on dry. It definately can't hurt to at least call the vet though and get his/her opinion. You don't want to be sitting around trying to treat something minor, however likely it is that its nothing big, only to find you missed something major. The odds are good she's just stressed, glad to see Meowmy again, and will be right as rain very soon. Best of luck!
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtigress View Post
She might just be constipated then - the squash or some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling type - look for just plain pumpkin) in her wet food can help with that, or adding wet food to her diet if she's just on dry. It definately can't hurt to at least call the vet though and get his/her opinion. You don't want to be sitting around trying to treat something minor, however likely it is that its nothing big, only to find you missed something major. The odds are good she's just stressed, glad to see Meowmy again, and will be right as rain very soon. Best of luck!
Yes,I agree,sometimes a blood vessel will rupture if they're constipated and straining.

Though you suspected she may have eaten something,which could have been the cause of the blood.It really isn't worth taking the chance.Getting the vet nurse to have a look costs absolutely next to nothing,but if she thinks there is a problem she will advise that she see the vet.
It's better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Thanks for everything guys! I will let you know what happens.
post #18 of 24
I'm no animal expert but my wife is a Nurse and bright red blood is a sign of hemorrhaging, this is NEVER a good thing. Also the fact that she went #1 very little tells me that this kitty definitely needs to see a vet fast. If she's got the wire from the twist tie in her stomach or intestines it could be tearing things up inside of her.
post #19 of 24
I am having the same problem you are with one of my abyssinians. He gets a really stinky poop with blood at the end. I got a stool sample and took it to the vet last week. It tested negative for parasites. The vet thinks he has a stress colin syndrom. The way my vet explained to me since it was blood at the end of the poop, it wasn't a internal bleeding. If it was internal the blood would be absorbed in the poop and digested, making the poop black.

I hope I said that right..
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbycats View Post
I am having the same problem you are with one of my abyssinians. He gets a really stinky poop with blood at the end. I got a stool sample and took it to the vet last week. It tested negative for parasites. The vet thinks he has a stress colin syndrom. The way my vet explained to me since it was blood at the end of the poop, it wasn't a internal bleeding. If it was internal the blood would be absorbed in the poop and digested, making the poop black.

I hope I said that right..
You did Black poop is something to watch for in humans as well, it can be indicative of bowel problems or colon cancer.
post #21 of 24
Not to alarm you but kittens do get parasites and diseases.. viral ones like FeLV and feline Aids can cause issues. Also if she ate metal of any kind, they can get toxic poisoning...

Having said that my 2 oldsters developed some type of bloody poop/dirreah
and after 1 week they recovered. I still don't know what the issue was - but they did need fluids because they were dehydrated seriously.

So, you really DO need to go to the vet for a check of the vitals - temp, pulse etc. And to see if the kitty may be constipated (they can give an enema) and also lastly to see if kitty needs fluids...
post #22 of 24
Thread Starter 
Ivy is gonna be OK!!! The vet said everything looks fine and it was probably just stress from me being gone for a week. Thanks for all your help, advice and encouragement guys!!
post #23 of 24
Glad to hear it! If you see her straining to go again, the pumpkin usually helps that. But I'm definately glad to hear it wasn't anything serious!
post #24 of 24
Aw Thats brilliant news for Ivy Thank goodness it was nothing serious.

Thanks so much for letting us know how she is
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › blood in stool??? HELP!!