Good collar for cats who hate collars?

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My two cats (6 & 7 years old) have never worn a collar. [I know. Bad cat mommy!] Anyway, I want them to wear their tags now. (My father in law just lost his cat of 15 years because it got out of the house. No tags,so we are just praying he comes back.)

Any recommendations for a collar for cats that hate collars? Thanks!!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where can you buy those at?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got one about 30 miles from home ... at a lps/./// but I do now they are on the web

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The Cat Connection has a good selection. I would recommend supervising them when you first put the collars on. I had a lot of problems with Lucy getting hers caught on her jaw. Right now she is just microchipped and doesn't wear a collar. But I do have a Beastie band and a set of tags if we should have to take her somewhere. I also like the Beastie band because I could get it off of her quickly when she did the jaw thing.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

The Cat Connection has a good selection. I would recommend supervising them when you first put the collars on. I had a lot of problems with Lucy getting hers caught on her jaw. Right now she is just microchipped and doesn't wear a collar. But I do have a Beastie band and a set of tags if we should have to take her somewhere. I also like the Beastie band because I could get it off of her quickly when she did the jaw thing.
i like getting them at Robbins Pet Care, because you can specify color as well as pattern.

sweatereyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had problems with dante purposely trying to rip his collar off, which lead him to become stuck very often on the carpet or other things. We went through so many collars because he would get them stuck and rip at them till he got them off. I just got the breakaway collar, and it seems to be doing alright, he's gotten it off once, but at least i didn't come home to him stuck somewhere or his collar ripped into pieces a buried in his litter box.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think its necessarily bad if your cats have never worn a collar. Of course if they continue this way you'll want to get them microchipped if they aren't already.

My Anya is just like Lucy who is mentioned above. She tends to get hers caught on her jaw. I know that means its too loose, but I could never seem to find that happy medium between too tight and too loose. She goes collarless now and is microchipped.

Whatever collar you choose make sure it is a breakaway collar so your kitty is safe.

When Anya was wearing a collar I always really loved this designer. They're all so cute! Lindsay Designs

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i love lindsay designs too!!!!

i'll have to break luxor in to his lindsay collar by getting a beastie collar.!!!!

seriously though - can all cats just be taught to wear a collar eventually? i'm mean sheesh!!!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Beastie bands ....
I agree, you may also want to consider getting them microchipped. I got mine microchipped just in case they get out and loose their collars.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

My Anya is just like Lucy who is mentioned above. She tends to get hers caught on her jaw. I know that means its too loose, but I could never seem to find that happy medium between too tight and too loose. She goes collarless now and is microchipped.

Whatever collar you choose make sure it is a breakaway collar so your kitty is safe.

When Anya was wearing a collar I always really loved this designer. They're all so cute! Lindsay Designs
i really like the collars at Ragtime Pet Collars. there are so many choices of fabrics!
i find that having the collar loose enough for 2-3 fingers but no more is a good fit.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have the lupine break-away collars for both my cat and dog. I really like their excellent quality and the fact that they have the break-away design for emergencies. Here is their website: http://www.lupinepet.com/cat/cats.php

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo was constantly removing her collars and ripping them apart with her hind claws. Then I got a cotton collar and the scratching is much less obvious. She's also only 'taken it off' once.

The natural fibers appear to be better tolerated. Most cat collars are polyesters of some kind; maybe you can look for a cotton one to acclimatize your kids.

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i would definatley suggest a breakaway collar though. if they get out and got stuck on something and they pull hard enough, it will come off, and so they might lose thier i.d., but at least they wont be choking to death. i have breakaways and Peanuts has never been able to pull hers off. apparently she would have to get it stuck on something and then pull hard to get it off, but she hasnt figured that out yet.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

Gizmo was constantly removing her collars and ripping them apart with her hind claws. Then I got a cotton collar and the scratching is much less obvious. She's also only 'taken it off' once.

The natural fibers appear to be better tolerated. Most cat collars are polyesters of some kind; maybe you can look for a cotton one to acclimatize your kids.
Pixel used to have fur loss around her neck with the synthetic collars - she's also doing much better with the cotton one i got from Ragtime. they are also breakaway collars.

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitties also wear Ragtime collars, and I really like them. They have a wide variety of fabric patterns to choose from, breakaway buckles, and I like that I can have them personalized with our phone number so I don't have to hang tags on the kitties.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

Time to pull out my ragtime collar link.
http://www.ragtimepetcollars.com/intro.html

I've ordered from her, and I'm 90% sure they're cotton (you can always email and ask), they're break away and they have LOADS of colours. Also, I don't think they're terribly expensive.
Might be worth a shot.
yep, i linked to her in my first post - i love her stuff! if you order several, she includes a toy, too!