Introducing a new cat into the home

brettuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there

A friend of mine has given me his cat after his evil 4 year old son (who is under counseling) tried to really harm the cat. She is only 3 months old.

I already have a 10 year old tom cat. He grew up with another girl cat (who died 2 years ago of liver failure).

I thought introducing this kitten into the home wouldn’t pose that much of problem for tom, who I have had since a kitten, since he grew up with another girl (tom in fixed), but they are both hissing at each other and then tom is running away and hiding!

Has anyone got any advice on how to get these two cats to get along?

Kind Regards
Brett

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by brettuk

but they are both hissing at each other and then tom is running away and hiding!

Has anyone got any advice on how to get these two cats to get along?

Brett
Itsnt not bad!

some hissing is guite normal. As long as they dont fight is everything proceeding according to plan. So to speak.

Him running away? Many grown up cats dont really know what kittens are, feel unsure, yes sometimes even afraid, as here.

Better this then him smashing up her.

Take it easy, they will become friends with time.

Let them have different litters, and eating and drinking places, so they will not be stressed by each other.

Dont forget to cuddle him not less then her - more.

If you want, you can always try with Feliway, but this is really dont necessary.

Good luck and much pleasure with your two fursome friends!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brettuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the help guy / gals, I followed all the links above and tried to follow the protocols....

It worked a treat! they are now playing with each other, missy, the new kitten is always attacking toms tail as he walks past, it is quite funny, tom has then tackles him and they play about... The hissing has stopped completely, they really have gelled and this is in 5 days!

Thanks again for all the help

Brett - UK

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by brettuk

Thanks for all the help guy / gals, I followed all the links above and tried to follow the protocols....

It worked a treat! they are now playing with each other, missy, the new kitten is always attacking toms tail as he walks past, it is quite funny, tom has then tackles him and they play about... The hissing has stopped completely, they really have gelled and this is in 5 days!

Thanks again for all the help

Brett - UK
That's great...I'm glad they are now getting along.

Katie