Aggressive cat "attacking" mine through window...?

chickpea331

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a cat that comes around my apartment and tries to attack Katrina through the window. Katrina "fights" back, but I'm scared one of them is going to break the window one of these days and I don't want either of them to get hurt. The windows in our apt. are single-pane, and they aren't very thick. The cats jump at them so hard! She's just defending herself, but it's her house!!

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? Is there anything I can do to keep this cat away since I don't know who belongs to him??

He started coming around a few months back and would just sit on the fence around our patio, so I wasn't concerned until he started jumping at the window.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I would try to find out who he blongs to. I would also try to find out if he is neutered. If not, then I would humanely trap him and have him neutered.

catlady4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I had this happen several years ago, and my beautiful male cat who was 3 years old and had never sprayed (he was neutered at 4 months) started spraying. It was heartbreaking because I could never break him of the problem, and eventually he ruined our carpet. I ended up using a humane trap and taking the offender to the shelter, where he was neutered. After that, my beautiful boy lived on our screen porch, he had a cozy shelter, and lots of love, but I could never trust him in the house again. It broke my heart because he was a wonderful lap cat, but I spent many happy hours with him on my lap, out on the porch.

If I were you I would try spraying around the outside of the window with one of the products that will keep cats away, but is not harmful to them, if this does not discourage him, you may have to trap him.

linda_of_pgff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aggression like this -- and I've seen it firsthand, also, where my indoor pet cat was the target -- is almost always territorial, and I think it is very unlikely that the cat outside is neutered. The first thing that an informed, responsible cat owner today should do is neuter or spay. So personally, I would feel completely comfortable (if this were me) trapping this cat, having my vet neuter it, and then return it outside. The very LAST thing I would want in my neighborhood, is a litter of unplanned kittens that otherwise, this cat is sure to produce.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chickpea331

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlady4

Yes, I had this happen several years ago, and my beautiful male cat who was 3 years old and had never sprayed (he was neutered at 4 months) started spraying. It was heartbreaking because I could never break him of the problem, and eventually he ruined our carpet. I ended up using a humane trap and taking the offender to the shelter, where he was neutered. After that, my beautiful boy lived on our screen porch, he had a cozy shelter, and lots of love, but I could never trust him in the house again. It broke my heart because he was a wonderful lap cat, but I spent many happy hours with him on my lap, out on the porch.

If I were you I would try spraying around the outside of the window with one of the products that will keep cats away, but is not harmful to them, if this does not discourage him, you may have to trap him.
That is a great idea...I even have some of that for my own cats but never thought of using it outside!

Thank you!

chickpea331

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by linda_of_pgff

Aggression like this -- and I've seen it firsthand, also, where my indoor pet cat was the target -- is almost always territorial, and I think it is very unlikely that the cat outside is neutered. The first thing that an informed, responsible cat owner today should do is neuter or spay. So personally, I would feel completely comfortable (if this were me) trapping this cat, having my vet neuter it, and then return it outside. The very LAST thing I would want in my neighborhood, is a litter of unplanned kittens that otherwise, this cat is sure to produce.
I agree...when I was a kid, our parents didn't get our cats fixed, but I've learned from Bob Barker!!

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Supposedly orange, lemon or lime peels are something cats don't like. It might be a quick fix to keep him away while you look for a more permanent solution. I'd peel a bunch of oranges and lemons and put the peels outside in front of the window.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has happened a few times with my previous cat. She really disliked other cats and if she saw one outside the window or on the window sill she would go crazy attacking the window, even if the other cat did not try to fight back...once in a while it did fight back though. You can buy repellants to keep the stray cats out of your yard that might help...
Around here unfortunately there are a lot of feral cats so we had that happen fairly often-- sometimes the cats would just come and jump up on the windowsill and look in..

nonstop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm having that problem right now too. Well, I didn't think it was a problem but after reading this thread I see it may be.

I've been in this locale about 3 months, and the other day the interaction was as aggressive as I'd seen. My cat's fixed but I don't know about the one outdoors. I guess I'll have to find out! My cats never had a potty problem I'd hate for one to develop.

chickpea331

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Amy-DHH

Supposedly orange, lemon or lime peels are something cats don't like. It might be a quick fix to keep him away while you look for a more permanent solution. I'd peel a bunch of oranges and lemons and put the peels outside in front of the window.
That makes sense...I was thinking that the repellant I used smell somewhat citrus-y.

gigi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This can be a bad situation, but it can also be completely harmless (so long as the other cat is neutered). We always joke that our landlady's cat is Georgia's 'gentleman caller'. He comes by every night, and they leap at one another 'through' the sliding glass door. I was worried at first, but now I think it's more playful than aggressive-- she waits for him to come by, and occasionally they touch paws through the window. The biggest problem is cleaning kitty nose prints on both sides of the glass!