Glitter in Coats

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm all this talk about "glitter" on the cat's coats.........I think we all are trying to look for it in every cat's coats

We are going glitter crazy..............all the fault of those bengal breeders

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe... the only time my cat has glitter in his coat is when he's been playing in xmas decorations...

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of my cats have "glitter"...but they are seriously Shiney!!!!

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
glitter is like love, if it's there you will know it! Once you see it there's no mistaking it.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sims2fan

Ok lets see some glitter then
I posted a picture in another thread, not sure which. It was one of kai bengal's recent threads though. There's quite a few threads lately talking about glitter.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

I posted a picture in another thread, not sure which. It was one of kai bengal's recent threads though. There's quite a few threads lately talking about glitter.
The thread was titled "can anyone help indentify this breed". The thread ended on December 24th. Sorry I don't know how to do a direct link to it.

The picture of the glitter is on page 2 of this thread.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am intrigued - can I ask does anyone know what it is that actually causes the 'glitter'? I am assuming that it is due to the physical structure of the hair reflecting light in a different way to normal straight hair - just with my 'science-geek' hat on
thinking that maybe it is due to the individual hair being slightly different widths along the shaft of the hair so that light reflects off a part of the hair shaft at a different angle?

Just really interested, I've never seen it in person but I do like to try to dissect every piece of information I come across and find a 'why?' for everything

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I am intrigued - can I ask does anyone know what it is that actually causes the 'glitter'? I am assuming that it is due to the physical structure of the hair reflecting light in a different way to normal straight hair - just with my 'science-geek' hat on
thinking that maybe it is due to the individual hair being slightly different widths along the shaft of the hair so that light reflects off a part of the hair shaft at a different angle?

Just really interested, I've never seen it in person but I do like to try to dissect every piece of information I come across and find a 'why?' for everything
We are birds of a feather then, I am the exact same way...sounds like your describing me. I am turning into a big nerd, but I say nerd in the best way possible.
To answer you, there are two types of glitter. I went into it pretty deeply in another thread. Basically, one type has to do with a hollow hair shaft, the shaft contains a bubble of air that refracts the light like a prism. This type of hair also contributes to the coat being soft. The second type of glitter (this will freak you out) actually has the mineral mica embedded into it! Don't ask me how that's possible. There is still not a lot known about the glitter genes as it's a rather new discovery. There are two colors of glitter-a gold color and a crystalline/silver color. I do not know if the two colors are from the same gene or a different gene.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mica in the hair shaft??? WOW I would never have guessed that! Hollow hair shaft and bubble of air I can picture, but mica? That's not in the range of answers I would have imagined! Learn something new every day and all that

Oh and I would take nerd as a compliment btw. I am one of those people who has to take stuff apart to see the mechanics of how it works
I am quite handy at fixing things tho, usually because I will have dismantled something similar at some point in my life and know how it goes back together!

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Mica in the hair shaft??? WOW I would never have guessed that! Hollow hair shaft and bubble of air I can picture, but mica? That's not in the range of answers I would have imagined! Learn something new every day and all that

Oh and I would take nerd as a compliment btw. I am one of those people who has to take stuff apart to see the mechanics of how it works
I am quite handy at fixing things tho, usually because I will have dismantled something similar at some point in my life and know how it goes back together!
lol...yes being a nerd is great! I am pretty handy too because I don't give up until I can figure things out!