What would you suggest for odor control?

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I take out droppings from the litterbox daily... but right after he goes, it just smells horrible for a looong time. What can I do to help with the odor? My friend told me to use baking soda... is that a good idea? Thanks.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides putting a plug in his butt, the next best thing is to burn a match. well first of course is to scoop and trash it. then I use a natural essential oils fragrance called fresh scents, but there are others. you get them at the health food stores. very light, absorbs the smell, and is not heavy or causes allergic reaction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL thanks for the advice gail... but of course he'd crap out the butt plug, right? Therefore I'd have to skip on that. I may just try the oil stuff.

sharky, I'm feeding him this healthy cat food by "natural balance" and I give him a treat by purina once or twice a day.

Aren't there things you can add to the litter to neutralize the smell? Does anyone use them, and what brand would you recommend? Thanks.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are feeding him beef or fish, change him to chicken. If you are feeding him chicken, try rabbit (made by Nature's Logic and Nature's Variety Prairie and PetGuard.)

The smell could be from an allergy to the food, or a bad intestinal flora balance. Gizmo's box smelled a lot better when I got her off the chicken (which she was allergic to) and onto rabbit dinner which also contains beneficial bacteria.

You might try another brand of food, too--and change the litter. Some cover the odors more than others.

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What cat litter are you using? I don't think the food is the issue unless he is overeating...

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JB68711

Aren't there things you can add to the litter to neutralize the smell? Does anyone use them, and what brand would you recommend? Thanks.
Yes!!! I add Arm & Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer to the litter and it works great. It has baking soda in it. You should be able to find it at a grocery store or drug store (in the pet section) or of course a pet store. Good luck.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try a litter change but also NB might be too rich thus causing extra odors...

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey thanks for your responses. The Natural Balance I have is with chicken, but I don't think it has anything to do with his food... when I say it smells horrible, I mean it just smells like cat crap. Maybe I will get something else the next time I buy food. I'm not really sure if he's overeating... he's been eating A LOT more in the past couple of months, but he's 8 or 9 months old and still growing... and someone told me that cats don't overeat. About how many cups of food should he be eating a day?

His litter has been this "Citramax" stuff since I got him, made from 100% citrus peel... but the last time I went to Petco, they didn't have it. I got pine litter and am gradually adding it to this one.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd still look into changing his food. Gizmo's poos don't smell like roses, but they don't have the sour smell of cat 'do' either.

If your boy is eight months old, get him fixed if you have not done so already. His urine will start to smell more when he is sexually mature.

I use Nature's Miracle litter and there are many other posts about it on this site so I won't repeat myself other than to say that yes, it works.
Youl'd never know (from the smell, or lack thereof) that I even own a cat. The toys on the floor are of course another matter!

vili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I usually put a couple of tea spoons of baking soda into the litter, and that works marvels. And the cats don't seem to mind, either.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sharky;1494909 said:
What are you feeding the cat ??[/
quote]

That is the question for sure. I fed wet food to all my other cats and all their poo stunk. This time I said nothing but dry food for this cat. No smell at all from his box, I mean nobody can smell anything coming from his box.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The quality of the food makes a big difference. Garbage in = garbage out, in a very literal sense.

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have an appointment this Thursday to get him fixed and for vaccinations, finally. I'll definitely look into Nature's Miracle litter the next time I go to buy it, since everyone and their mom swears by it lol... hopefully he won't have a problem with adjusting to changing it again (though he seems to be doing fine with the gradual change from the previous litter to the pine).

I'll try the baking soda for now and see how it works... thanks for the tip. As far as food, right now I'm feeding him "Natural Ultramix" (mistakenly put Natural Balance in a previous post)... "Fortified with vitamins and minerals"... "chicken, barley, potatoes and flax, protein, omega fatty acids". My friend, who works at Petco, rescued the cat as a kitten and desperately needed to find a home. She really wanted me to feed him this stuff, probably because it's what her family cat eats (she's a health nut when it comes to her cat). But at 8.99 for a puny 3 pound bag... I find it a bit expensive (I'm not sure if that's what most cat food runs for, but it only lasts me a week or so). Is there any kind of cat food at a low price that many people seem to swear by (like the nature's miracle litter?)

Thanks again for your responses!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

The quality of the food makes a big difference. Garbage in = garbage out, in a very literal sense.
Both of the foods Mentioned are extremely good quality ... I would suggest refraining from brash comment unless you actually know the product...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JB68711

I have an appointment this Thursday to get him fixed and for vaccinations, finally. I'll definitely look into Nature's Miracle litter the next time I go to buy it, since everyone and their mom swears by it lol... hopefully he won't have a problem with adjusting to changing it again (though he seems to be doing fine with the gradual change from the previous litter to the pine).

I'll try the baking soda for now and see how it works... thanks for the tip. As far as food, right now I'm feeding him "Natural Ultramix" (mistakenly put Natural Balance in a previous post)... "Fortified with vitamins and minerals"... "chicken, barley, potatoes and flax, protein, omega fatty acids". My friend, who works at Petco, rescued the cat as a kitten and desperately needed to find a home. She really wanted me to feed him this stuff, probably because it's what her family cat eats (she's a health nut when it comes to her cat). But at 8.99 for a puny 3 pound bag... I find it a bit expensive (I'm not sure if that's what most cat food runs for, but it only lasts me a week or so). Is there any kind of cat food at a low price that many people seem to swear by (like the nature's miracle litter?)

Thanks again for your responses!
Ultramix has multiple meats and grains/ starches ... try for a simplier food ... I am guessing you shop at Petco >>??? If so check Nutro, Natural balence , Solid gold and Royla canin... Nutro , Royal canin and Natural balence have one meat / one grain or accessesory poteins ... I would likely try the Nutro natural choice kitten or one of Royal canins kitten s... I would think the food is a bit rich for the baby ... READ
the labels...

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a liquid deodorizing spray (has a fruity smell to it) which, with the Arm and Hammer litter, completely neutralizes the urine smell after they go. But as others have mentioned, it may be the food that's making it smell so bad.

I use IAMS Weight Control on Penelope and I notice that her waste does not smell nearly as bad compared to her brother, Maverick, who currently is tryingout "By Nature" (he is quite finicky) so food definitely can change the odors!