NOoooooooooooo

kittywarden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fireworks have started early around here. We also have rain that has thunder in it. My thunder alarm has been sounding pretty much all afternoon. Just when we think it has quieted down someone in the neighborhood sets off a fireworks which sets him off again.

Boomer has thunderstorm anxiety and the meds he has for it makes him like he is drunk. He still manages to bark at the thunder but has trouble holding his legs under himself. Also what meds we have for him are almost gone so I guess basically what I need is strength
to get thru night and still have a basically intact house.

Well I guess we start the New Year with a Bang and a Bark. So Happy New Year to all here at TCS.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry your doggies are afraid of the festivities. I've been lucky to have pets who don't care. Now Puff Im not sure about since he's new to us here but so far I haven't heard anyone let stuff off. Then again we have a long way till midnight.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had some small fireworks that we set off earlier. We knew Deacon wasn't going to make it till midnight so we set them off around 7pm. He's sound asleep.
Luckily all the animals are taking it quite well. Jake's asleep on his bed, and the cat brats are asleep on the chair..No one seems to be affected by them.

Jake was HORRIIED on 4th of July thought

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Boomer!!

Fear of loud noises is so common in dogs. Our OTB dog Ellie Mae had the same issues with thunder and fireworks to the point that in the early years, would cower and pee out of fear. When we got our current boys as puppies, we purposefully took them outside on the 4th of July and made a fun game every time someone blew up something. We praised them, played with them, and basically made them feel that it was a happy time. They have been fine ever since - they don't even flinch.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Boomer! My brother used to have a dog that trembled and shook whenever there was fireworks or thunder. It was awful to watch, poor thing

My kitties do ok with it. Abby used to run and hide during thunder and fireworks, now she's ok unless it's a really, really loud crack and then she gets scared. Other than that she sits next to me for reassurance. Chynna just sleeps through it.

I hope Boomer is ok today.

Have you considered getting one of those desensitizing tapes of thunder storms. You play it softly for a period of time over several days and gradually work up to turning it louder and louder. Apparently it really works from what I've read about the method on the net.

EDIT: OMG! I just saw your sig. You have a cat named "Chynna" too. You're the first one I've come across that has.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Boomer! We used to have a dog that stayed in the bathtub whenever there was thunder or fireworks.
Jamie was terrified of the fireworks last night - his pupils were absolutely huge, his hair and tail fluffed up, and he shook. He had me up all night, because he was too upset to sleep.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Boomer

I used to have a St Bernard that would try her darnedest to crawl under a bed every time it thundered.
I am so thankful that Bear has no issue with fireworks, I leash him and take him out to see them everytime they are set off.
As soon as he sees where the noise is coming from, he settles right down.

The cats are afraid, but like people watching a train wreck, you can't keep them from looking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittywarden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Poor Boomer! My brother used to have a dog that trembled and shook whenever there was fireworks or thunder. It was awful to watch, poor thing

My kitties do ok with it. Abby used to run and hide during thunder and fireworks, now she's ok unless it's a really, really loud crack and then she gets scared. Other than that she sits next to me for reassurance. Chynna just sleeps through it.

I hope Boomer is ok today.

Have you considered getting one of those desensitizing tapes of thunder storms. You play it softly for a period of time over several days and gradually work up to turning it louder and louder. Apparently it really works from what I've read about the method on the net.

EDIT: OMG! I just saw your sig. You have a cat named "Chynna" too. You're the first one I've come across that has.
Thank you for asking about Boomer he is doing ok now. He has thunderstorm anxiety to the point of chasing after the thunder, breaking thru windows and chewing up doors to get to it. The vet we go to has given him some meds that helps some but it makes his legs just fall out from under him. He acts like he is drunk he gets so wobbly. Still even thou he is wobbly he tries to run after the thunder. So basically I try to be with him during a thunderstorm to hopefully keep control of him.

The other dog we have is a german shepard mix named Faith. She just lays around unless Boomer is running then she wants to run with him. She had some moments of uncertainly when the guns started going off after midnight but nothing major. Of course both dogs got as close to me as they could get when it started.

I have noticed that your cats name is Chynna also and I would love to see a picture
of your kitty. My Chynna had no problems with the thunder or the fireworks/shooting last night just piled up and went to sleep somewhere.

Thanks to all the other people who posted also. I am glad that all had a reasonablly quiet night during the celebrating that was going on last night.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I spent the night at a friend's house and the neighbors were shooting of firecrackers. My friend's dogs just went outside and barked a couple of times and then came back to bed.

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I remember my one dog, Sheba, she would freak big time every 4th of July. It was awful, i feel your pain...

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by reddicequeen

I remember my one dog, Sheba, she would freak big time every 4th of July. It was awful, i feel your pain...
....that´s awful...
poor boomer.....that is the part of the celebration that I hate...