my daughter's cat drank diluted carpet shampoo

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel so helpless....she is 4 hours away from me and the cat is vomiting foam! We can't get in touch with emergency vet, it is New Years Eve and I guess they are out partying.
Any suggestions on how to comfort him? She says he is bloated and very lethargic. I am scared...
Sierra

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat needs to get to the vets! It's been poisoned and the longer she waits the more toxic it gets and the cat could die.

The vet must have an answering service that you can call and have him/her paged.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at the bottle. Is there a number you can call there? If not call the poison control center. Maybe they can help. I agree the cat can die if it's not seen right away by a vet. Please try to get it in ASAP! Please keep us updated.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you called every vet in your area? even in surrounding areas?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Animal Poison Control

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...6wj1oc1.app17b

As the premier animal poison control center in North America, the APCC is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, make the call that can make all the difference: (888) 426-4435. A $55 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.

Stephanie

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have her grab her credit card and call this number 888-426-4435

This is the ASPCA Poison Hotline Number. Someone answers immediately and will guide you through what to do. Vomiting foam is not good, this cat needs help NOW. Please tell her to act quickly before it might be to late.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Animal Poison Control

As the premier animal poison control center in North America, the APCC is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, make the call that can make all the difference: (888) 426-4435. A $55 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.

Stephanie
I didn't know their was a poison control for animals. Thanks for that info.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your quick and informative responses! I knew you could help me as you have before.
We were able to get Cody to an emergency vet clinic. They gave him IV fluids to help keep him from dehydrating and to flush out the toxins.
He is fine today...active and giving head-butt kisses

I have put the poison control number on my favorites, my cell phone, rolodex, everywhere!
Lesson learned the hard way for my daughter.
Thanks again!
Sierra

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so relieved to learn of this. Cats can get into the strangest things at times!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sierra_K

We were able to get Cody to an emergency vet clinic. They gave him IV fluids to help keep him from dehydrating and to flush out the toxins.
He is fine today...active and giving head-butt kisses
Thank God! I'm so happy to hear that he's ok

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy, happy headbuts and soooothing, calming licks from KittenKiya's Clan. We are so glad he is OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Again, thanks to all for your caring, concern, and most of all info when I needed help.
My daughter is a college student. She was cleaning some spots off the carpet by diluting carpet cleaner used for a steam cleaner in a bowl of water and dabbing it on the carpet. Cody is VERY curious and I guess he drank from the bowl while she wasn't looking as she cleaned.
She doesn't have a credit card, so I called the emergency vet in her area, and asked them to take my credit card over the phone. They were very kind and they took care of Cody as soon as she got him there.
I hope this story helps us all to be very careful with our kitties and not to trust them, ever. We were very lucky that we did not lose him.
Gotta love those headbut kisses

Sierra

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good grief, if a reminder is ever needed that cats can and will get into anything, this is it!

I am really glad to hear that you got Cody to the vet eventually! Please keep us updated on how he's doing - I am sure that I am not alone in worrying about other people's ill cats and waiting for news.

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Animal Poison Control

Stephanie
I've bookmarked this great info. Plus you can order a free magnet