Checks vs credit/debit cards

slater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you think that the old-fashioned paper check will soon go the way of the dinosaurs, or does it yet have a future?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use checks. For me they are more of a pain then they are worth. Plus I hate using unneccasary paper when I don't have to considering so many many place accept debit cards. So thats what I use debit cards. I don't kinda see them as getting phased out. I hardly ever see people writting checks anymore.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I almost always use debit cards. My mother uses checks and it takes her twice as long to check out at a store. The check often gets caught in the register, she can't find her licence, the cashier is unsure what to do with the check. I prefer getting out quickly.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bob'sMom

I almost always use debit cards. My mother uses checks and it takes her twice as long to check out at a store. The check often gets caught in the register, she can't find her licence, the cashier is unsure what to do with the check. I prefer getting out quickly.
My Mother is so resistant to change. I have been telling her FOR YEARS how much easier the debit cards are. But she kept using checks. I finally had to walk her through purchasing, using my Debit card and she was hooked, she has FINALLY started using the debit card and LOVES it!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so funny that you wrote that post. I am about to order new checks for the second time in my life. I'm 28 and have had my checking account since I've been 14. I write one check a month. The rest is done through either online banking or my debit card.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gotta admit, it's either cash or check for me. I remember getting my debit card and trying to use it, and I would either forget my pin number, forget to write down what I spent, etc..........totally not worth it. I love my checks. As for you all waiting behind me while I'm checking out, I try to have it all filled in so be the time she's done ringing, all I have to do is fill in the amount......

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use checks for bigger purchases (groceries, ect.) and my debit/cash for smaller day to day purchases. When I use my debit card, I check my online banking constantly, just to make sure I don't forget to write something down that I used my debit card for.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I have a system - he pays with the debit card (as credit card so we aren't using the PIN number so much), and I write it down in the checkbook. There are so many places that just don't accept checks anymore that it's easier just to use the debit card. There are still a couple of bills I have to pay with check, one being a loan from my father, and a couple of online bills that require a physical check number to pay (get with the times people!). Other than that, I really don't use checks much.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my stuff is done via online billing. Once i began working full time after college and dating and other stuff like that I have very little time to "remember" the bills.

So....everything is automatically deducted.

The only time I write a check is maybe for a couple of credit cards (which all pretty much processes the checks like a debit).
Heck I don't even pay rent with a check (MO).

I can see checks going away eventually though.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Slater

Do you think that the old-fashioned paper check will soon go the way of the dinosaurs, or does it yet have a future?
No I do not think they will go away. But I think debit cards will become more popular. I love mine. I don't have a credit card though and I never want one again.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I pay for basically everything on debit / credit / cash and use a cheque only for rent and for buying Avon stuff because she prefers a cheque.

I don't think they will ever go the way of the dinosaurs however, as so many businesses use cheques for a paper trail

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use both but I bet I spend less if I write a check vs debit card.
Its hard as I have 2 debits cards one personal and one business. We have 3 checking accounts -2 business and one personal. Sometimes you have to remember what account pays for what debt.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I prefer to pay with my credit card because it is easier for me to keep an eye on my spending and our card gives a small percent cash back for all our purchases. For speed and convenience I have most of our bills set to auto pay- I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like the idea of a check getting lost in the mail or stolen from my mail box.

dont_eat_bambi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only use checks to pay the bills. Checks take too much time to write when you are paying for something at a store. Plus debit/check cards are free and cool checks usually arent.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I almost never use a cheque in a store now: most places don't like cheques and require a credit card as part of your ID. So, depending on what store and how much I'm spending, it's either credit, debit or cash. Our rent is paid by postdated cheques, our cleaners want a cheque, our catsitter wants a cheque, occasionally there's something personal that's easiest handled with a cheque, and the rest is online banking.

If cheques do go away entirely, I don't think it will be anytime soon, but the need is definitely diminishing.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know I was just thinking...I almost want to change my answer to "no, they won't go away".

If you use a "check" card as a credit card its FDIC insured for up to $100K.

If you use it as a debit (type in PIN), it's not FDIC insured (yet).

If you write a check, you can at least cancel it. I think its FDIC insured too against fraud (i.e. someone duplicates your checks).

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a few checks for bills here. We have a system for tracking it that works for us. Basically we put all reciepts that are not in the check register in an envelope, inital them when they are recorded, then they are filed.

My Mom and Step-Dad refuse to get debit cards!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had almost given up on cheques completely, till I moved to France and found that lots of people here use them, in stores and for paying workmen etc. People use cards as well of course, but most cards have a limited number of transactions per day (often 9) so cheques can be useful if you are out on a spree.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use my debit card when I'm shopping. All my monthly utility bills and newspaper are paid by automatic debit from my checking account. Most of the other bills can be paid on line using the company's web site. The gardener is the only regular monthly bill I have to pay by check.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

I gotta admit, it's either cash or check for me. I remember getting my debit card and trying to use it, and I would either forget my pin number, forget to write down what I spent, etc..........totally not worth it. I love my checks. As for you all waiting behind me while I'm checking out, I try to have it all filled in so be the time she's done ringing, all I have to do is fill in the amount......
Me too, I love my checks (they are LSU checks too), I have never used a debit card but I would end up forgetting how much and I would forget to write it down too.

I even use the duplicate checks, and I always have my check filled in too, all but the amout, and that takes no time to fill in.