Getting a second Russian Blue

nonstop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I have 1 male Russian Blue that's 19 months old. He's a fantastic cat, I've had him since he was about 17 weeks. I'm thinking about getting a second Russian Blue, I already looked at a litter but I haven't decided for sure if I'm going to do it. They'll be available in February. The breeder suggested a female for better odds they'll get along.

Have any Russian Blue owners added a second when their first was that old? He's a pretty social cat with people, it doesn't take him long to sniff a stranger or even play with them.

I'm doing this more for him, so he has a playmate when I'm gone... so I hate to go through the trouble to get a cat he'll just tolerate and not be friends with. Curious how others have faired in the same situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nonstop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh let me add, the only time he's seen another cat since I've had him has been a neighborhood outdoor cat that will come up to a glass door window. He did not seem very happy to see him.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they're pretty jumpy cats, so even if he wasn't, he'd react to another one outside - all cats do, but it's not the same as a new one indoors, where they can really make a fuss when they're new! My personal experience with Plato (then 10 yrs) my RB, is that when we brought home a tiny baby (not RB) male 2 yrs ago, the first time Goblin saw him down the hall, he ran straight at him like a bullet, and I was terrified Plato would destroy him, but he grabbed onto Goblin, lay down, and gave him a lick, at which point Goblin took off, turned around and launched himself again at Plato, who just rolled over again, held on and kept doing so while Goblin did his racing thing. They have been best friends since then and I'm SO glad! The best thing that could have happened to Goblin and us was Plato (and he didn't necessarily have such great rapport with our other 2 cats at the time, one of whom is now gone.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first purebreds were RB's. But I started with a female, bred her and kept one of her kittens (male) and showed him - he got his Grand Ch pretty easily

If he's been neutered, I recommend a young male (neutered). Males tend to bond together quicker then 2 females or M/F. Either way would be fine - male or female. But the females usually are not as people friendly.

Where did you get your first one (what lines) and are you looking at the same or different breeder?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have two males one RB and one Mau - they get a long a lot better than we expected.

nonstop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying everyone! I got Raiden from Tylona Cattery in Milan, MI and that's where I plan to get my second if I go through with it. I figured the bad reaction from the cat through the glass was standard but I wasn't sure.

I was leaning toward not getting one, but after reading your replies I'm leaning toward getting one. For one I travel a lot and it'd be great to know he wasn't all alone. Secondly, he likes to play... I just played hide and seek with him for about an hour and he still wants more! So if he had a playmate, even when I was home it'd be better for him.

I really can't say enough about the breed, I don't image I'd ever get anything else if they're all like Rai. He's a perfect fit to my personality.

If anyone else has any similar experiences please feel free to add them I don't think I'll make up my mind for sure one way or the other until the last minute!

nonstop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
btw Renovia your avatar tripped me out. First I thought I was just seeing things, then I thought something was wrong with my glasses, then I thought it was my computer screen before I figured it out. lol

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tylona is a nice cattery - am familiar with their RB's. My RB was mainly out of Velva and Tsar Blu lines - I think a great grand parent was Tsar Blu Cobalt Baron! I know Baron was on there somewhere

nonstop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I justed checked Rai's:

Winterfest Blue Bullet and Tylona's Goody Blue Shoes.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nonstop

btw Renovia your avatar tripped me out. First I thought I was just seeing things, then I thought something was wrong with my glasses, then I thought it was my computer screen before I figured it out. lol
LOL - sometimes I think I've had one drink too many! Then I realize that I'm fine - and have another!

nonstop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is just an update, maybe it will help someone else make the same decision I did.

I've had Skyy for 5 years now and they get along great!  I agonized over the decision but it ended up being one of the best decisions I've ever made.  Thanks for the help making the decision!  See the avatar.  :)