How much meat is in the Nature's Variety Prairie RAW medallions?

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, I had a whole post about how many medallions are in the bags, until I checked the site (48 medallions per bag, lol) and now I have a different question. How many medallions do you feed per cat each day? I bought this stuff once but I'm not sure I remember how big they were. Maybe 2 medallions per day, per cat? Willow is 9 pounds and Molly is 11 pounds (possibly 12 pounds), and they're the ones I'm aiming on putting on a RAW diet, but Buffy will go on a canned diet since she won't touch raw meat. Her loss. But I would like to figure out if I should buy two bags of Prairie RAW for a month, or if I'll find myself short after only a couple of weeks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I try the medallions .. I think my two that were 10-14 lbs ate 2-4 medallions a day ... basically for a ave cat up to 13lbs ish about 4ounces of raw a day if no cannned or dry is offered

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Man, I have a whole bag of medallions in my freezer b/c neither my dog or cat will eat them...any suggestions on how to get a cat to eat the raw? I tried cooking it and that still didn't work

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick two cents from another NV raw feeder...watch your kitties carefully. I was sure I was doing right by my dog (not a cat, but the same food), by putting her on NV raw medallions, only to have her gain two pounds (she only weighed five to begin with!), start scratching horrendously, lose hair, develop sores, and begin having stiffness/pain in her joints. As wonderful the results some folks have on raw diets, no diet is perfect for everyone. *sigh* My girl is back on Innova Evo and has lost a pound; one more to go. *rolls eyes*

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlphilli

Man, I have a whole bag of medallions in my freezer b/c neither my dog or cat will eat them...any suggestions on how to get a cat to eat the raw? I tried cooking it and that still didn't work
Donate it
.... mine hated medallions... okay the cat doesnt do veggies unless they are unrecognizable /.././

I finally found the right diet ... part raw ... part homemade .. part canned and based off the oriental medicine chart ...lol.. My oldsters are well very young again,... I am actually trying it too so far so good ( ohhh I hate de tox)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Just a quick two cents from another NV raw feeder...watch your kitties carefully. I was sure I was doing right by my dog (not a cat, but the same food), by putting her on NV raw medallions, only to have her gain two pounds (she only weighed five to begin with!), start scratching horrendously, lose hair, develop sores, and begin having stiffness/pain in her joints. As wonderful the results some folks have on raw diets, no diet is perfect for everyone. *sigh* My girl is back on Innova Evo and has lost a pound; one more to go. *rolls eyes*
i see you have a yorkie ... i too have one ... they need SIMPLE foods to thrive...IMHO

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last time I bought the Prairie for my girls, they got bored pretty quickly, so half of the bag went to my dog by default. But maybe it'll be different this time.

Another question: I know the medallions have that greyer color on the outside of the medallions (result of the cooking process I was told once). The pictures on the website show the medallions as being red, as if the grey/cooked parts had been cut away. Do you do that with your guys or do they eat the cooked parts too? I think the cooked part was the main reason my girls were turned off from the food.

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

Last time I bought the Prairie for my girls, they got bored pretty quickly, so half of the bag went to my dog by default. But maybe it'll be different this time.

Another question: I know the medallions have that greyer color on the outside of the medallions (result of the cooking process I was told once). The pictures on the website show the medallions as being red, as if the grey/cooked parts had been cut away. Do you do that with your guys or do they eat the cooked parts too? I think the cooked part was the main reason my girls were turned off from the food.
Yeah I thought the same thing! The one's I bought had a greyish color and honestly didn't look that appetizing...however, the ones on the site look very meaty and red....hmmm....freezer burn maybe?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
grey is the true color of fresh meat ... O2 gives it the red color ...