Pregnant momma not eating

t76squeaks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got a pregnant mom cat for foster on Thursday. She is pretty far along, I can feel the babies moving, but the mom has not eaten since I brought her home. I've tried wet, dry, snacks...nothing is working. I know some cats don't eat for a day or so before they give birth, but how long should I wait before I should be really worried about her not eating?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well she is probably really nervous. have you tried something really stinky like tuna?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

t76squeaks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well, I haven't tried tuna, but I have tried my usual 'if I can't get them to eat, they will eat this' cat food which is a wet seafood mixture, but she wasn't interested at all.
She's a very nice cat, but I'm worried about her and her babies

t76squeaks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has been drinking water, not as much as I would like

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by T76squeaks

She has been drinking water, not as much as I would like
Have you talked to the group you are fostering her for? Has she seen a vet recently?

This was advice that Gaye (our moderator) gave you for the last pregnant cat you fostered who wasn't eating...it's worth trying:

Have you tried chicken or turkey meat baby food? Sometimes you can get an anorexic cat to eat by smearing a little baby food on your fingers and letting them lick it off. If they won't take it on their own, try opening her mouth and smearing the baby food just between the 'cheek' and gum area, don't force it into her mouth.

Just make sure that the baby food doesn't have any onion in it.

Katie

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is another thing I've heard is that Kentucky Fried Chicken (minus skin and bones) is irresistible to cats! You can also take the baby food (like Gerber meats #2) and mix it with water and force feed her, but they don't like that much.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by TNR1

Have you talked to the group you are fostering her for? Has she seen a vet recently?

This was advice that Gaye (our moderator) gave you for the last pregnant cat you fostered who wasn't eating...it's worth trying:

Have you tried chicken or turkey meat baby food? Sometimes you can get an anorexic cat to eat by smearing a little baby food on your fingers and letting them lick it off. If they won't take it on their own, try opening her mouth and smearing the baby food just between the 'cheek' and gum area, don't force it into her mouth.

Just make sure that the baby food doesn't have any onion in it.

Katie
Hi

Yes I would tend to agree,although if you don't have babyfood you could try mixing (I don't know if you can get this)but whiskas supermeat,half supermeat half warm water from the kettle and mash it up.
If you can't get that then meat that hasn't got chunks in or solid.
Personally I would not be giving her dry food as if she's constipated can only make it worse.

Did you get her today?she could just be adjusting to her surroundings,If she's really far gone then she probably wouldn't be eating anyway if she's really close.
I have known cats go afew days without eating before they give birth.
Since you probably don't know when she is due,I would just monitor her.
Any sign of lethergy,high or low temperature, paleness, discharge or panting,then I'd be off to the vets with her.

If you need any advice please feel free to pm me anytime or you can find my e-mail in my profile if you would prefer to mail

t76squeaks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she started eating today, thank goodness!
It took a while, I gave her a lot of love and attention and kept putting her by the food, and she finally ate. I would have called the SPCA(where I foster from), but they have been closed yesterday and today, and now I won't have to...as long as she keeps eating. Thanks everyone for your ideas!