nails in the hind legs

vmf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
today while one of my cats was sitting on my lap i checked her nails and found out that nails on the hind legs are worn almost to the part where they have capillaries. i checked the other car and he turned to be the same way.
nails "in front" does not seem to be affected?
what would cause this?
i have wooden floors in the apt that are partially covered by carpets. could it be them running on the floor?

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl's back claws are blunted from running around on the wooden floors. Her quick (the capillary) is visible near the end of most of the claws.

Gizmo does unfortunately have a 'boat hook' claw that grows nearly twice as long as the others on one foot. I have seen her biting her nails to keep this growth down.

your cat may be doing the same. If the animal is not in pain I would not worry about it.

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think this is pretty normal. I know when I clip my kitties' claws, the hind feet don't need to be trimmed even half as often as the front feet.

tanjkn3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Delilah_Blue

I think this is pretty normal. I know when I clip my kitties' claws, the hind feet don't need to be trimmed even half as often as the front feet.
I agree my cats front claws are always much sharper then her rear ones

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The front claws stay sharp because they are sheathed when not in use, and occasionally the top layer is shed, leaving a new, sharp claw. The nails on the hind feet normally get worn down from contact with the floor. I wouldn't worry about it, unless your cats seem to be in pain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vmf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for your replies
i really appreciate it.