Canadian dry foods Nutram and Orijen

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good people. What do you have for experiences from these dry foods?

1. Nutram
2. Orijen (I know Orijen was mentioned before here).

They have now come to Sweden.
I think they are good, especielly as we dont hardly have any of the USA-made excellent marks here in Sweden. These Canadian ones must do as representants for North America.

But your opinions, experiences??

Next question. How is the Canadian policy of keeping farm-animals? Poultry and others? What meat will come out of their animal farms?

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't really say what Canada's policy on farm animals is, since I don't know (but I heard the other day how Canada's policies are more strict?). Basically, I think it's close to America's policy, but probably a little better.

I haven't used Nutram (I guess I read the inredients once and didn't like them, so I've avoided looking at it again), but I like Orijen. It's slightly "misc" heavy; that is, it has a lot of random ingredients (like herbs and stuff). Fortunately they're ingredients that are GOOD, but I guess it's the opposite of California Natural (the simplest food ever, and best on dogs/cats with sensitive tummies). My girls tried Orijen for a month, but I switched to Timberwolf Organics simply because I'd been dying to try that for a while. For the month the girls were on Orijen, they did good, I didn't see any cons (Molly has a sensitive tummy and Orijen made her poopies mushy and soft, but almost every food has done that, even CA Natural). Right now, my dog is on Orijen, and has been for the past month. He's looking good, his poops are looking good too (on Timberwolf Organics, his poops were dark [due to the higher protien sources, which isn't a bad thing] and big, not small like they used to be. It's too soon to tell, but his poops are already lighter and a little smaller.

Orijen is a good food, and I'd go with that over Nutram. Looking at the Nutram site now, I see it has a lot of corn content, which immediately turns me off. Definitely go towards Orijen instead, lol. I think it's the best food Canada has turned out so far, I was amazed when I came across it. It's also still pretty new (I think it came out in November?), so I'm sure not a lot of people have tried it yet.

EDIT: Another big bonus with Orijen is the protien content. Orijen has a ratio of 70/30/0 for dogs and the cat formula is 75/25/0. What that means is, the first number is the protein, the second number is the vegetables and fruit, and the third number is the grains. So 70 or 75 percent meat, 25 or 30 percent fruits and veggies, and ZERO grains and fillers!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

I can't really say what Canada's policy on farm animals is, since I don't know (but I heard the other day how Canada's policies are more strict?). Basically, I think it's close to America's policy, but probably a little better.

I haven't used Nutram (I guess I read the inredients once and didn't like them, so I've avoided looking at it again), but I like Orijen. It's slightly "misc" heavy; that is, it has a lot of random ingredients (like herbs and stuff). Fortunately they're ingredients that are GOOD, but I guess it's the opposite of California Natural (the simplest food ever, and best on dogs/cats with sensitive tummies). My girls tried Orijen for a month, but I switched to Timberwolf Organics simply because I'd been dying to try that for a while. For the month the girls were on Orijen, they did good, I didn't see any cons (Molly has a sensitive tummy and Orijen made her poopies mushy and soft, but almost every food has done that, even CA Natural). Right now, my dog is on Orijen, and has been for the past month. He's looking good, his poops are looking good too (on Timberwolf Organics, his poops were dark [due to the higher protien sources, which isn't a bad thing] and big, not small like they used to be. It's too soon to tell, but his poops are already lighter and a little smaller.

Orijen is a good food, and I'd go with that over Nutram. Looking at the Nutram site now, I see it has a lot of corn content, which immediately turns me off. Definitely go towards Orijen instead, lol. I think it's the best food Canada has turned out so far, I was amazed when I came across it. It's also still pretty new (I think it came out in November?), so I'm sure not a lot of people have tried it yet.

EDIT: Another big bonus with Orijen is the protien content. Orijen has a ratio of 70/30/0 for dogs and the cat formula is 75/25/0. What that means is, the first number is the protein, the second number is the vegetables and fruit, and the third number is the grains. So 70 or 75 percent meat, 25 or 30 percent fruits and veggies, and ZERO grains and fillers!
Can you link a site??? this sounds intresting

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Orijen is good enough... I dont dig potato , tapicoa and alfalfa in the same formula all three are starches that arent high in digestabilty ... the nutram has digest a big NO in my book