A HUGE Pet Peeve!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I just finished a book, and while I was in the last few chapters I realized it wasn't winding it self up the way it should. I was so addicted I just had to finish it. It's the first book in a trilogy. UGGGGG.... I have so many trilogies going on that I can't keep them strait. The publisher didn't print that fact on the cover, so now I'm forced into another year long wait for the second book. This stinks!

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

So I just finished a book, and while I was in the last few chapters I realized it wasn't winding it self up the way it should. I was so addicted I just had to finish it. It's the first book in a trilogy. UGGGGG.... I have so many trilogies going on that I can't keep them strait. The publisher didn't print that fact on the cover, so now I'm forced into another year long wait for the second book. This stinks!
I know exactly how you feel. I waited until the last Lord of the Rings movie was released before seeing any of them, because I hate cliffhangers, both movies and books. And then, didn't really care for the movies. I'd heard all my life about Lord of the Rings, and after seeing it I was kind of like, "Is that it?"

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I went to a used book sale in october one of the book I picked an interesting book and then at the end found out its a series of 6 books. Its been out print for a few years so hopefully I don't have to pay full price for them.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know exactly what you mean! I try to wait now and buy only series that are already finished, that way I don't have to keep buying books in hardback. And lo and behold, the last couple I've gotten that I thought were either standalone books or finished series - no such luck! I've even gotten books that are standalone in the U.S. only to take a trip to Canada and find its a series there! Talk about ridiculous.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did that once with a Patrica Cornwell book. I had never read one of her books before so leave it to me to pick on that you had to buy a second book in order to find out what happened.

I didn't even finish reading it. I discovered at 3/4 of the way through that it wasn't winding up and that there was no way it could be wrapped up in another 125 pages. I found out from a girl at work that it was a 2 book series. I gave up on it. I had her tell me how it all ended and I've never read another Cornwell book again, LOL

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its definitely best to wait til the whole series is published. Unfortunately, we don't always know when we start that it will be a series. And it is very frustrating waiting and then trying to remember what happened in the earlier books--like Jean Auel--She took forever to write later ones, and by then I had almost totally forgotten what happened earlier. And those books were so long, I didn't want to reread them again. A really good author will give you enough hints so you remember though.