Should I exhume the body?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My beloved kitty of sixteen years, Wilde, died almost three years ago. We buried her in the yard of this house that we have been renting for four years.

We are now in the process of looking to buy our "forever" home, which will be on the other side of the city (closer to my husband's work).

Do you think it would be O.K. to bring her body with us to our new house? I know the owner of this house will move the marker I have on her grave after we move, and I don't know how I could come visit with new tenants in the house.

I know rationally that it's her body, and not her, but I am comforted that her remains are nearby, and I visit and put flowers on her grave often.

Would it be a mistake to dig up her remains? She's buried about 18" deep, wrapped on one layer of linen.

Thanks in advance for your experiences and thoughts.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do whatever your heart wants you to do.

Our beloved Sambo is buried in our back yard. We own our house and have lived here for 27 years so I don't see us picking up and moving. But I do know that if we ever did move, Sambo would be coming with us. I could only leave him here if our son or our daughter would move in our house.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do remove the body have someone else do it for you just in case the shroud has decade. You don't want to see something that will forever be ingrained in your mind.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I hate to be graphic, but I doubt there will be much left but bones. If you had her body in a wooden box I would say to go ahead, but are you prepared to see and touch her skeletal remains? The linen you surrounded her body in is probably rotted away or rotting. I would find it to be a very gross thing to do, but if you can handle it, then do it. I don't know if I'd want to see my beloved kitty in that condition, myself.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would most definitly want to take my beloved cat with me. You never know what anyone would do where she is buried. They may want to put up a water fountain, anything. At least with you, you will know she is resting peacefully.

Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

If you do remove the body have someone else do it for you just in case the shroud has decade. You don't want to see something that will forever be ingrained in your mind.
This is excellent advice!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

Well, I hate to be graphic, but I doubt there will be much left but bones. If you had her body in a wooden box I would say to go ahead, but are you prepared to see and touch her skeletal remains? The linen you surrounded her body in is probably rotted away or rotting. I would find it to be a very gross thing to do, but if you can handle it, then do it. I don't know if I'd want to see my beloved kitty in that condition, myself.
This is what i was going to say...

I remember when one of our cats passed away in australia, it was Febuary the hottest month of summer, the ground was so dry that it was impossible to dig anything up, so we had to wait untill it rained it took about 3 days.

My mother picked the cat up by her tail, and the cat fell on the floor, my poor mother started screaming because she had the fur in her hands but the cat was already decaying.

Also if it rains alot where you are, the body may have moved.

*good luck!*

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As someone already said. Do what you feel is the right thing in your heart.

You might also want to look into a pet cemetary where your kitty could rest permanently and you would still be able to visit regardless of where you moved to without having to worry about tresspassing on someone's property.

Also, if you do leave her where she is, you may not want to tell the land lord or new tenant that she's buried there because they may dig her up because they don't want a dead animal buried in their yard. So that's something for you to consider.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As much you you love that kitty. i would let Wilde RIP. Its her spirit that matter now not the body.

But really like others have said, it is up to you in what you feel good with

take care
bruce

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to follow your heart.

One idea, rather than disturbing her, is taking some soil from the top of her grave and using it to plant a tree at your new house in her honor, in rememberance of her. If she had a favorite tree she liked get a seed and plant the same kind. I know it breaks your heart to leave your baby behind, but the house you live in now is where she was happy and what she knew.

But, I agree with the others. If you decide to move her don't do it yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really appreciate all your thoughtful replies so far! One more question, if you don't mind...

Does anyone know if there will be just bones after almost three years? The soil is very fertile (she's in the shade by the ferns), and it seems there are always little critters around there... they even eat the flowers I put on her grave. It rains like crazy here in the winter, but not that much the rest of the year. The temperature here by the shore, is always between 5 - 22 Celcius (about 40 - 70 Fahrenheit), with only a couple of days a year hotter or colder.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I really appreciate all your thoughtful replies so far! One more question, if you don't mind...

Does anyone know if there will be just bones after almost three years? The soil is very fertile (she's in the shade by the ferns), and it seems there are always little critters around there... they even eat the flowers I put on her grave. It rains like crazy here in the winter, but not that much the rest of the year.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
After 3 years in those conditions there may be even less than just bones.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There will just be bones left, assuming you just buried her wrapped up in linen.

But if it will make you happy, take her with you and rebury her. I fret about my deceased pets who are all buried in my parents garden, and they and their tenancy of that house will not be there forever

But you must be prepared, if that is what you decide to do, to be confronted with the reality of death - she will now be just bones. I would hate for you to be upset by doing that. It could be extremely upsetting.

Were there any plants near her grave that you could take with you instead, that remind you of her, and that you could replant as a living memorial? She is long gone from her earthly body.

I believe strongly that in death we form part of life - I want my body to be buried and a new tree planted over me, so that the nutrients from my now useless body can give new life, I think this is the way it should be.

I think any plants that are nearby will have more of her in them, as she will have sustained them and helped them grow, that may mean more than her bones will.

But of course if you want to take her remains, then do so. There is no right or wrong, other that what is in your heart and your memories of her.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand your feelings but don't do it yourself, please. It is impossible to say what will be left - it depends on climate, soil, insect life and a multitude of other things. I speak as an expert, having worked in mass graves in Bosnia. It is not something you want to do with a beloved pet. Get a secure wood or metal box and ask someone else. If there is little left then you can put some earth into the casket.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In all honesty I wouldn't. It would be far too hard for me to do, and I'd end up an emotional wreck afterwards. Her spirit is with you.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too have thought of this about my Sheba.
I would have someone else do the exhumation for you and have a spot at the new place already prepared.
This will be harder to do than you think but if it brings you peace do it.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I've done it with cats that were buried in my folk's yard, where the house was to be built. IF you have can keep a practical attitude, it isn't that bad. Death is the end result for all of us; seeing the remains doesn't diminish the love - Wilde's body will look like that because her spirit is over Rainbow Bridge.
And such experiences can help in other life experiences. It certainly helped me when I was first on-scene in several horrific highway crashes. People can't help it if they're hurt or deceased; at that point it's a fact, and you just have to accept it, and deal with helping where you can - if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
I think that it will be a beautiful gesture to relocate Wilde's remains. The Israelites leaving Egypt took Joseph's bones with them; it's not that uncommon. Wasn't President Lincoln buried 4 times

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

I understand your feelings but don't do it yourself, please. It is impossible to say what will be left - it depends on climate, soil, insect life and a multitude of other things. I speak as an expert, having worked in mass graves in Bosnia. It is not something you want to do with a beloved pet. Get a secure wood or metal box and ask someone else. If there is little left then you can put some earth into the casket.
I agree

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As everyone else has said, do what you feel is best or in your heart.

Your post though has sparked a memory...I wonder how many hamsters and guinea pigs I have buries in my parents back yard?

If you do exhume the body, would you consider what is left to cremate? Then you don't have to worry about possibly digging up another body in a few years...we did it to our family dog.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Perhaps, if you can salvage her remains, you could her her cremated? Then you could have her ashes in a permanent container, and always be able to have to go with you. Not to sound morbid, or upset you, but perhaps, when this happens to any other pets you have, you could have them cremated then. Of course, you should do whatever makes you comfortable. I agree that, if you exhume her, you may want someone else to do this, and place her in a sealed contained of some sort, so you won't see her. It may not be a pleasant sight.

My Dad was cremated 7 years ago, and I still can't look in the jar (my Mom put him my Chinese ginger jar, not a traditional sealed (?) urn from the funeral home. My point is, you have to do what you're comfortable with.

Bless you,

MargeCat