Anyone else ever work at a call center?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in a call center, which basically means I'm literally chained to a computer and phone link for 8 hours taking calls from people who are angry about something I have no control over. Its amazing how rude people can be! Not to mention stupid sometimes! I had a US citizen that asked me what state Washington DC was in, and yell at because I told her that was the entire address....Washington, DC. I've been called everything you can imagine, but still have to end the call with "Thank you for calling and have a great day!". Yes, I hate my job but its good money for around here. I am looking for another one, but no luck so far. Anyone else ever have to deal with this? Just curious?

For the record, I don't work for a telemarketer. We take strictly in coming calls, so I'm not someone that calls in the middle of dinner or first thing in the morning, so don't hate me. These people call ME to complain.

Ok, rant done.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I work in a call center, which basically means I'm literally chained to a computer and phone link for 8 hours taking calls from people who are angry about something I have no control over. Its amazing how rude people can be! Not to mention stupid sometimes! I had a US citizen that asked me what state Washington DC was in, and yell at because I told her that was the entire address....Washington, DC. I've been called everything you can imagine, but still have to end the call with "Thank you for calling and have a great day!". Yes, I hate my job but its good money for around here. I am looking for another one, but no luck so far. Anyone else ever have to deal with this? Just curious?

For the record, I don't work for a telemarketer. We take strictly in coming calls, so I'm not someone that calls in the middle of dinner or first thing in the morning, so don't hate me. These people call ME to complain.

Ok, rant done.
I notice you are in MD. Do you work for BOA?

I work in a phone center right now, infact I am at work as I type this. I'll tell you this. Some are better than others. I used to work for a bank and it was TERRIBLE! I had to threaten to sue them to keep my job. I now work for a company that is wonderfully flexible with my schedule, my schooling, and my life. Yes I take some bad calls here and there, but the atmosphere more than makes up for it.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok, rant done.
Well I hope I was never one of the ones who called and complained. Usually when I call someone to complain,I am nice until they make me mad. But when I am already mad, I always tell them first that I am sorry for fixin to yell and that they were just the unfortunate one that picked up the phone. I always tell them that if they have someone they dislike and want them to get yelled at, just to give my call to them and I will be sure and let them have it.

magnus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Know the feeling
I work with techsupport over the phone
... everything needs to be fixed and working five minutes ago, prefeably by a on-site-tech so they don't actually need to do something themselfs (god forbid)..

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I work for a call center. I work the graveyard shift, so I don't get as many calls as people who work days or even evenings, however all most every call I get it from someone is either drunk or a pervert. Rarely anyone nice or civil.

I do NOT get to get on the internet AT ALL. However, the one perk I do have, is that I bring in my portable DVD player, and I watch movies or if I'm not in the mood for movies I can watch TV or I bring in my portable Play Station and play games. If it weren't for these, my job would be unbearable. I HATE it, because I am more of a creative person, and it's really hard to deal with mundane things with little or no rewards, as far as seeing a job well done. No feeling of accomplishment.

The last couple hours of my shift ARE unbearable. (I work from midnight till 8am.) It is extremely busy during my last 2 hours and I can hardly keep my eyes open, I'm so tired, even though I try to get at LEAST 7 hours of sleep a day.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have worked in call centers when I was younger. It's a tough job but as you said, It's good money. I can empathize with you totally!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I work for a call center. I work the graveyard shift, so I don't get as many calls as people who work days or even evenings, however all most every call I get it from someone is either drunk or a pervert. Rarely anyone nice or civil.

I do NOT get to get on the internet AT ALL. However, the one perk I do have, is that I bring in my portable DVD player, and I watch movies or if I'm not in the mood for movies I can watch TV or I bring in my portable Play Station and play games. If it weren't for these, my job would be unbearable. I HATE it, because I am more of a creative person, and it's really hard to deal with mundane things with little or no rewards, as far as seeing a job well done. No feeling of accomplishment.

The last couple hours of my shift ARE unbearable. (I work from midnight till 8am.) It is extremely busy during my last 2 hours and I can hardly keep my eyes open, I'm so tired, even though I try to get at LEAST 7 hours of sleep a day.
I know what you mean about no feeling of accomplishment. I'm not used to not being about to see something through from beginning to end. That is what I hate the worst! The contract I work on is a federal retirement contract, so people are trying to get loans or withdrawals from their accounts. Of course, if their form isn't filled out correctly, then they have to resubmit again and it doesn't matter if they are going to lose their house and their kids will have to live on the streets...they go to the back of the line when they resubmit. I can't get it to process faster, because I'm not the processing dept. I can only give info and tell them their form rejected because of something stupid, imo! I HATE it! I've had people crying on the phone, begging me to help them and there isn't anything I can do!

Sorry for another rant, but I'm frustrated!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work for Verizon as a Directory Assistance Operator. I've been there 7 1/2 years and I hate it. Not so much the job, just the B.S. I have to put up with from the company in various forms.

The job does give me interesting stories and sometimes a rather depressing view into people's intelligence, common sense, and how they treat others (me).

I feel the same way as the original poster, I hate it but it's tough to leave. I'm 3 minutes from work, we get full benefits, and I make a very nice amount of money for the job, not just compared to comparable jobs, but new hires that come in as I'm on a different pay scale. Although with the stress I'm in being out on disability because of them, I think I'm ready to find something else. Money and travel distance aren't everything. I'd rather do something I can be proud of where management respects my job performance than at a place where I'm richer, but miserable.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes i started at working for PC MFG i was in tech support.
and since the company i worked for was 5th rate company, and had very bad PC we took ton of call. We only had 6 people in tech support. So most people just gave up in anger. The ones that did reach us where never ever polite.

Now i dont have to deal that much with End user community, but still tied to my pc and phone most of the time. Sometiem when slow i will be nice and log in to take help desk calls just to help out. Just reminds me how much i hate dealing witht the public.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I worked for Dollar/Thrifty for a few years and I hated it for that same reason.

People would call on thanksgiving day or christmas day and then wonder why there were no cars...

Then we had these conversations:

Me: from what location would you want to rent the car?

Them: this one

Me: what city would that be?

Them: this one...i'm across the street..

Me: Sir/Ma'am, I'm in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where are you?

Them: OH..i thought...

I stopped listening after that.

Had another guy who thought I should be able to see on the lot what kind of cars were available. I'm at a call center idiot...

I had my share of pervs too and I worked day shift. One guy wanted to know what color other people's panties were, one guy had this pantyhose fetish, one guy had a crap fetish... *sigh*

So many things you want to say and can't...

200 phone calls a day....needless to say I'm not going back to that job willingly again.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes i used to work for an answering service and we helped a wide variety of clients, worked 3-11 and got yelled at for most of the night. and management was less than supportive. my doctor actually told me it would be best to quit at the time, my blood pressuer had scooted up because of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosey

I worked for Dollar/Thrifty for a few years and I hated it for that same reason.

People would call on thanksgiving day or christmas day and then wonder why there were no cars...

Then we had these conversations:

Me: from what location would you want to rent the car?

Them: this one

Me: what city would that be?

Them: this one...i'm across the street..

Me: Sir/Ma'am, I'm in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where are you?

Them: OH..i thought...

I stopped listening after that.

Had another guy who thought I should be able to see on the lot what kind of cars were available. I'm at a call center idiot...

I had my share of pervs too and I worked day shift. One guy wanted to know what color other people's panties were, one guy had this pantyhose fetish, one guy had a crap fetish... *sigh*

So many things you want to say and can't...

200 phone calls a day....needless to say I'm not going back to that job willingly again.
YES YES!!!!
I guess we really can't hold it against the callers because they don't know where we are, but you think they would get a clue when they have to dial 800. Oh well...gotta love them!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter worked as technical support for a computer support call centre a couple of years ago - she hated it! The pay was terrible, the callers were nuts (although she did get to speak with some celebrities calling for support - they're not as nice as they seem to be)!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

I work for Verizon as a Directory Assistance Operator. I've been there 7 1/2 years and I hate it. Not so much the job, just the B.S. I have to put up with from the company in various forms.

The job does give me interesting stories and sometimes a rather depressing view into people's intelligence, common sense, and how they treat others (me).

I feel the same way as the original poster, I hate it but it's tough to leave. I'm 3 minutes from work, we get full benefits, and I make a very nice amount of money for the job, not just compared to comparable jobs, but new hires that come in as I'm on a different pay scale. Although with the stress I'm in being out on disability because of them, I think I'm ready to find something else. Money and travel distance aren't everything. I'd rather do something I can be proud of where management respects my job performance than at a place where I'm richer, but miserable.
I used to be a Directory Assistance operator for GTE, which I believe is now Verizon. It was a braniless, but easy job. Just so boring and of course the callers could drive a person crazy. Yes, the money was great, and I'm sorry that I didn't appreciate that it was a really good paying job. I HATED it as well, but not as much as I hate working at a Telphone Answering Service call center.

I used to "LOVE" it when someone would call up and want the telephone number of "that drug store, down the street" They didn't know the name of the drug store but they expected us to be able to give it to them, or the idiot who wanted the Jones family on 53rd street, (no they didn't know the first name, but they were on 53rd. How many Jones' could there be on 53rd?). I ended up going on stress leave one day when an elderly person, dentures crackling into the receiver) wanted the Smith family in Whittier. Once again no first name. I tried explaining to this woman, who called me, "Central", that I needed a first name to find it. She kept going on and on, about how she knew they had a phone, because she saw it in their house. I couldn't get it through to her that the name Smith is very common. She just kept going on and on and on with her teeth cracking in my ear, until I thought I was going to go mad. At which point, I threw off my headset, stood up, and said, "I can't TAKE this any more." And they put me on stress leave right then and there.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well seeing that my job went to a call center....
We I was working and the company downsized the 1st time all collection and administrative calls went to call centers. It was a big change-however living in Wisconsin which was some odd laws caused the service center to have people just handle "Wisconsin" call which at least one spoke to the same person all the time.
But on the other hand I am trying to get a "problem" fixed and am dealing very unsuccessfully with a call center.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

YES YES!!!!
I guess we really can't hold it against the callers because they don't know where we are, but you think they would get a clue when they have to dial 800. Oh well...gotta love them!
I've had people call and in cases where the number they wanted wasn't listed they've yelled "I KNOW IT EXISTS! I'M STANDING IN FRONT OF IT or I CAN SEE IT FROM WHERE I AM!"

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I used to be a Directory Assistance operator for GTE, which I believe is now Verizon. It was a braniless, but easy job. Just so boring and of course the callers could drive a person crazy. Yes, the money was great, and I'm sorry that I didn't appreciate that it was a really good paying job. I HATED it as well, but not as much as I hate working at a Telphone Answering Service call center.

I used to "LOVE" it when someone would call up and want the telephone number of "that drug store, down the street" They didn't know the name of the drug store but they expected us to be able to give it to them, or the idiot who wanted the Jones family on 53rd street, (no they didn't know the first name, but they were on 53rd. How many Jones' could there be on 53rd?). I ended up going on stress leave one day when an elderly person, dentures crackling into the receiver) wanted the Smith family in Whittier. Once again no first name. I tried explaining to this woman, who called me, "Central", that I needed a first name to find it. She kept going on and on, about how she knew they had a phone, because she saw it in their house. I couldn't get it through to her that the name Smith is very common. She just kept going on and on and on with her teeth cracking in my ear, until I thought I was going to go mad. At which point, I threw off my headset, stood up, and said, "I can't TAKE this any more." And they put me on stress leave right then and there.
I almost went on stress a few times but I figured that the stress will just be there when I get back so...

Did you have to handle New York customers? They make up a huge majority of our call volume. They're a whole other problem.

I just have to go on defense as saying that atleast how Verizon runs it now, I don't consider my job easy or brainless. Yes it's easy now because I've done it for so long and I can just run on auto pilot, but I think that for the amount of pay that they give new hires to start ($7 something) the job is too difficult at first and too stressful for that kind of money. When I started all I had to remember was the differences in keying for New York & New England. Now we have different keying and search procedures for all our customers: Alltell, New York & New England, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, and our long distance customers. I don't know how new hires don't kill themselves with all there is to remember and the stress at the pay they get and the lousy hours they get (which I'm STILL getting 7 1/2 years later).

I've been on disability for CTS since the 14th, and just got a chance to look at hours I'm scheduled. I have a split one day, a 10am the next day, a 12:15 the next day, I even got scheduled a 5 - 1am! That's one of the big reasons I want to leave. After having almost a decade with a company I should have earned better work schedules than I have. But that's seniority for you.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did IT at a place that had a call center. Many of the people calling in where, err...5 cans short of a 6-pack. I found this out when we changed buildings and I got to be the "operator" for directory assistance.

People tried to place ads with me, they didn't understand the number they really needed to call (the directory assistance was for our administrative lines...not the call center).

Heck, in the old building there was even a pay phone in the kitchen that customers use to call. We would explain that they had CALLED A PAY PHONE, in which then the customer would ask to be transferred. Ummm..you can't transfer on pay phones.

Most of the staff was pretty good, but there were quite a few CSRs that were just as cranky as well (can you fix my computer now?)

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Calico, your job sounds very similar to mine. I work in a call center for disability benefits and only take incoming calls. However, 5 hours a day is on the phone and 3 hours is working on correspondence (thank goodness). Almost everyone who calls is complaining about something I have no control over, so every day I listen to crying, yelling, and cursing. It's extremely difficult.