New Whiskas food? Is it really better?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen the new advertisements on TV about Whiskas making new food products, BIO and *real meat* stuff.

I was just wondering what your opinion about it is, (not sure if you have it too in other countries) but since its a world name brand i presume you know about it.

Tricia has pretty much taught me to read the labels of cat food. But i havent been to the supermarket around here to check out the stuff for my self.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen many foods that advertise as having "real meat" in it....yet they still contain by-products. I haven't seen/heard any new advertisements, so if you happen to go to the store & check a bag, let me know what it says!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

With that list I wouldn't feed it to starving kitties let alone Puff.
I have to agree 10000000000%... sorry I buy the shelter better qualtiy( okay so it is my mistake foods

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really think (and hope) that the new commercials are referring to the wet food and not the dry food, because it is still....ick. lol

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the website I didn't really see any new wet food. Or if it was new they didn't say so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes thats what i was referring to Tricia!

The wet food MMMMMM

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Are you talking about Whiskas mmmmm, Fran? http://www.whiskas.macosy.net/promos/00_whiskas_mmmmm/
I haven't been able to find a list of ingredients for it. Whiskas advertises that it contains real chucks of meat, not that it consists entirely of meat, so I'd be sceptical.
That looks like the Whiska's Oh so range that we have here

Whiskas Oh so…Fishy ingredients

Whiskas Oh so…Fishy with Tuna/Cod

INGREDIENTS: Meat and animal derivatives, fish and fish derivatives (including min. 14% whole pieces of tuna/cod), minerals.

ANALYSIS (%): Protein: 12 / Oil: 4 / Ash: 2 / Fibre 0.3 / Moisture 81

Whiskas Oh so…Fishy with Sardine

INGREDIENTS: Meat and animal derivatives, fish and fish derivatives (including min. 14% whole pieces of sardine), vegetables, minerals.

ANALYSIS (%): Protein: 10.5 / Oil: 4.5 / Ash: 2 / Fibre 0.3 / Moisture 82.

Whiskas Oh so…Fishy with Salmon

INGREDIENTS: Meat and animal derivatives, fish and fish derivatives (including min. 14% whole pieces of salmon), minerals.

ANALYSIS (%): : 10 / Oil: 8 / Ash: 2.5 / Fibre 0.3 / Moisture 79.

Whiskas Oh so…Meaty ingredients

Whiskas Oh so…Meaty with Beef/Lamb/Turkey

INGREDIENTS: Meat and animal derivatives (including min. 14% whole pieces of beef/lamb/turkey), minerals.

ANALYSIS (%): Protein: 12 / Oil 4/5 / Ash: 2 / Fibre: 0.3 / Moisture 80/1

Whiskas Oh so…Meaty with Chicken

INGREDIENTS: Meat and animal derivatives (including min. 14% whole pieces of chicken), minerals.

ANALYSIS (%): Protein: 11 / Oil 4 / Ash: 2.5 / Fibre: 0.5 / Moisture 81

madpiano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's pretty much the same as the old whiskas, but more expensive. The shops are slowly phasing out the old whiskas pouches and you can get some good deals on them, if you want.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Silly American question what is a derivative???

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Silly American question what is a derivative???
You have meat

The flesh, including fat, skin, rind, gristle and sinew in amounts naturally associated with the flesh used, of any animal or bird normally used for human consumption. Does include diaphragm, head meat (muscle meat and associated fatty tissue only), heart, kidney, liver, pancreas, tail meat, thymus and tongue. May (depending on intended use of product) include brains, feet, large and small intestines, lungs, oesophagus, rectum, spinal cord, spleen, stomach, testicles, udder. (Meat Products and Spreadable Fish Products Regulations 1984)

By-Products

Offal e.g. liver, kidney, tripe, melts, lights. Also blood, bone, heads, feet, whole rabbit/chicken carcasses, other carcasses from which flesh has already been stripped for human consumption. Includes poultry by-products. (Waltham Book of Dog and Cat Nutrition)

and derivatives

Rendered carcass material (I could not find a precise description)

Here's a pretty good website about the differences in food

http://www.messybeast.com/cat-food-industry.htm

and one on the regulations that US companies have to follow when exporting food into the EU

http://useu.usmission.gov/agri/petfood.html

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A "derivative" is something that is derived (or taken) from a main source....from what I understand it is the UK way of saying "by products."

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlphilli

A "derivative" is something that is derived (or taken) from a main source....from what I understand it is the UK way of saying "by products."
I thought that ... but see the above ... yikes...

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another thing to look out for (at least pertaining to foods made by manufacturers here in the US, not sure about Europe) is you want all of your meat labeled as a kind of mean (chicken, herring, beef, turkey, duck, etc.). Otherwise there's no telling what the meat is (horses, euthanized shelter pets, whatever was swept off the killing room floor . . .). Basically it's not labled because the manufacturer doesn't know exactly what the mean product is (I'm guessing that's why. Could be they do know, but know that if they put down horse meat as ingredient, much of their US client base wouldn't buy their product.)

~Julia

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlphilli

By products are completely different

Animal byproducts in the US

AAFCO define these as parts not used for human consumption e.g. kidney, lung and tripe. By-products are secondary or incidental products of the meat industry e.g. feathers, hair. Poultry by-products contains head, feet, underdeveloped eggs, intestines, feathers and blood. Fish by-products are fish process residues and can contain heads, tails, intestines and blood. Meat by-products can include hair, hooves, viscera and also the blood soaked sawdust.

Animan byproducts here

Unprocessed fresh or frozen slaughterhouse material. Processed material including blood meal, meat meal, meat and bone meal, greaves (the dry remnants left over after fat rendering)