Processor Model: -- Primary Drive: CD-RW/DVD Combo
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz Condition: Used
Memory (RAM): 512 MB

She's asking $300...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The specs that you post seem ok to me. I would ask the following first before buying it:

What type of graphic card (brand and model) does it have?

Does it read and write CDs and only read DVDs?

Also, I would ask the following:

What problems has she had with the laptop in the time she has used it?

Why is she selling it?

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not bad, though you'll possibly need to get XP office installed.

Look, my advice (and I know your mileage may vary is this):

Don't buy it.

Just live with the PC.

It may be an annoyance to have to give quotes seperately, or you could do the quotes in one of those carbon-copy books if you really want to be able to do it on-site.

Laptops are often annoying to use, and expensive to fix. They are expensive to get add-ons for. I don't know how your money situation is right now, and of course I hope it has improved dramatically, but I know that at least until recently it has been bad, and that you are considering buying your house and considering a seperation, as I understand it.

$300 may not seem like much when you're flush, but it's a lot when you're broke, and it's when you're flush that you have to be most careful with money, so that you have it in harder times.

Also, I doubt this laptop will only cost $300 - for a start, as I said you'll probably need to get the XP office addition - and because it's for a business, the license will both be important and possibly expensive. And that's assuming that nothing goes wrong.

I know it's not the most optimistic assessment of the situation, but at least give it a thought.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be wary in buying a used computer if any sort. You never know what it has inside of it...viruses, spyware etc...

IMO, I would not get a used one. I would save for a new one if I were you...Aren't there any good after Christmas sales there for them?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I would be wary in buying a used computer if any sort. You never know what it has inside of it...viruses, spyware etc...
Those can be taken care of through a reformat of the hard drive, which I assume would be done before using it. At least it's a prudent thing to do when buying a used laptop.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Those can be taken care of through a reformat of the hard drive, which I assume would be done before using it. At least it's a prudent thing to do when buying a used laptop.
Ah yes, but I am too lazy to do that

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The seller probably has already reformatted the hard drive. Usually when someone sells a used computer they reformat the hard drive and put it back to factory specs.

I have a Gateway Laptop. I personally don't like Laptops, but I purchased it a couple of years ago so I could take it with me, if I travelled. It has spent it's entire life thus far in my closet it it's carrying case. I don't like that stupid thing in the middle that is supposed to be a mouse. I don't like typing on that tiny keyboard, and I don't like how you have to adjust the screen so that the lighting is just right. I would never be happy with a laptop to use for anything other than an emergency which I consider travelling to be. Sad thing is, I've not travelled since I purchased the laptop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

The specs that you post seem ok to me. I would ask the following first before buying it:

What type of graphic card (brand and model) does it have?

Does it read and write CDs and only read DVDs? It has a

Also, I would ask the following:

What problems has she had with the laptop in the time she has used it?

Why is she selling it?
I'm not worried about the Graphic card. I don't do gaming. It reads and writes cds AND dvds. She's selling it because she's having to move out of her parents house.
Originally Posted by Satai

It's not bad, though you'll possibly need to get XP office installed.
I have a friend who has Office XP. He's also the manager of Circuit City

She's already formatted it. My above mentioned friend went and took a look at it today for me. He said it's in MINT condition. And she could actually sell it for more then what she's asking.

My financial situation has nothing to do with it. I'm selling my desktop and desk for $400, so I'm really not losing out.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

I have a friend who has Office XP. He's also the manager of Circuit City
With all the legalities surrounding software, I would be careful mentioning that!

Sounds like you have your mind made up
Good luck and I hope you like it. I bought a laptop about 6 months ago for school. I LOVE it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

With all the legalities surrounding software, I would be careful mentioning that!

Sounds like you have your mind made up
Good luck and I hope you like it. I bought a laptop about 6 months ago for school. I LOVE it!
Yeah I have a big mouth.. Well he um... Can get it for a discount for me
yeah...... That's it!