TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › Which would you rather have
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which would you rather have - Page 2

post #31 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
I rather prefer medium to large dogs, and I LOVE Boxers (our all-time baby was Fritz, an 88 lb. Boxer who moved with us from the U.S. to Germany ). We had a Beagle when I was a kid, and he was the smallest of all our dogs. My family, or my husband and myself, have had several large Airedales, Labrador Retrievers, Boxers, German Shepherds, St. Bernhards (hubby and I also had a mix of the latter two), Viszlas, a Great Dane, a Newfoundland, a Dalmatian, and a Golden Retriever.
If our jobs allowed it, I would get another Boxer in a minute. They're great with people, especially kids. The only "negatives" I've experienced with them are their tendency to fight with other dogs, and to jump any fences under 6 to 7 feet (tip: don't do Agility with a Boxer, unless you want to chase him/her all over the neighborhood).
Wow I never knew that boxers had a tendency to fight with other dogs. We have a boxer mix plus my sisters full boxer here and we have my old border collie and my dad's chi and my rat terrier and Macy is the biggest baby ever. She runs from the chi. The only problem we have had with Macy is that she never runs to the side of the yard to stay out of the mud like Lilly does and she always runs straight to our beds with mud on her feet. And she thinks she is a lap dog and jumps on the bed and lands on top of you in the middle of the night.
post #32 of 56
We only have small dogs, since we had horrible experience with a large husky mix that killed two of our smaller dogs. I love big dogs, and I really want a great dane, or an anatolian shepherd when I live on my own.

Curently we have 7 dachshunds (miniature and standard), 1 dachshund mix, 1 rat terrier/chihuahua mix (5 pounds), 1 jack russel terrier/rat terrier/chihuahua mix (8 pounds), 1 cocker spaniel/chi mix (9 pounds), and 1 chihuahua (When we got her she was very thin!! We rescued her off the streets, she weighed 1.3 pounds, now she is up to 2.3 pounds. )

I love small dogs, people saying they can't stand small dogs, have you ever owned them? (Its kind of like a punch in the face when people say they dislike an animal I love )
post #33 of 56
We've had cockers and beagles (plus a couple of mixed breeds) that were on the medium side. Not sure I could handle a large breed like niece's Great Dane (Morpheus - or as I call him, "Moose").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorina View Post
I've realized it wasn't small dogs I didn't like, it was their often high maintenance, Paris Hilton-esque owners.

I'm afraid my opinions of small/toy dogs are due to their owners. We had an elderly couple next door who always had small dogs (chihuahuas and pekingnese) and they were the yappy kind. Whenever my cocker Rex and I would walk by on my way to my grandparents, the dogs would run at the fence and yap. Rex seemed so embarassed to admit they were fellow dogs. The peke turned out to be a decent chap. Butch (yes, that was his name) once tried to share his rubber rat with me.
post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom View Post
Wow I never knew that boxers had a tendency to fight with other dogs. We have a boxer mix plus my sisters full boxer here and we have my old border collie and my dad's chi and my rat terrier and Macy is the biggest baby ever. She runs from the chi. The only problem we have had with Macy is that she never runs to the side of the yard to stay out of the mud like Lilly does and she always runs straight to our beds with mud on her feet. And she thinks she is a lap dog and jumps on the bed and lands on top of you in the middle of the night.
I didn't know Boxers were "known" for fighting with other dogs until we had our first. He was great with the other family dogs, but horrible with "strange" dogs. We joined a Boxer club when we moved here, and when I related that we were having trouble with Fritz attacking other dogs, the reaction was, "Well, he's a Boxer!" I was sort of shocked, because he was so tolerant - no less than three kids learned to walk by pulling themselves up and leaning on him, and he was great with our cat and rodents. My sister is encountering the same problem with the Boxer she has now (her second) - great with people, and the other family pets (three cats, another dog, two iguanas, and several chinchillas), but in "attack mode" with other dogs.
What Boxer isn't a lap dog? I got my hair cut this evening, and my hairdresser has a 3 1/2 month old Boxer, who is an incredible baby. She was a little bit sceptical about getting a medium-sized dog, but her (new) husband really wanted a Boxer,as he grew up with them, and now she's hooked, despite the fact that "Alex" is systematically destroying their home, and insists on sleeping in bed with them and sitting on their laps.
post #35 of 56
Huh. Our Boxer is wonderful with other dogs, and many of the people on my Boxer forums take their Boxers to doggie daycare, off leash dog parks, etc. Any problems seem to crop up in teenage hood (and Boxers take 2 years to mature physically, 3-4 mentally ), and when they are quickly nipped in the bud, no problem. An improperly socialized puppy can be a problem too, if he hasn't been exposed to other dogs, then he doesn't learn how to behave with other dogs. I've come across statements that say that some other dogs don't like Boxers, due to their rough, overexuberant play, and the set of their eyes is believed to bother other dogs (makes them look like they are giving a "dominant stare").

Quote:
despite the fact that "Alex" is systematically destroying their home, and insists on sleeping in bed with them and sitting on their laps.
.

I know you're going to think I'm a nut , but this is a set up for problems in adolecence. Boxers are independent thinkers, as they were bred to be guardians of children (hence, being good with kids) and they will (like any dog, but probably with more stubborness ) try to establish themselves as the Alpha dog if no one else steps up. He should only be allowed to get in the bed when invited (as this is a higher place, reserved for the alpha dog ) and in their laps when invited. A book I've heard good reviews about is "Boxers for Dummies" which addresses these things, so you can avoid the problems (house destroying too) you've talked about. Being such an energy filled, strong dog, training is really essential. Please don't take any of this wrong, I really just want your friends to end up with a Boxer they can enjoy.

And yes, my dog thinks she is a Yorkie !
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101 View Post

I love small dogs, people saying they can't stand small dogs, have you ever owned them? (Its kind of like a punch in the face when people say they dislike an animal I love )
I have to agree ... I was one till Gigi came into my life .... here is my view..

big dogs are real dogs

little dogs are babies that never grow up
post #37 of 56
As much as I love my little dog, we had a Scottish Deerhound in at the vet's office today that I'm totally in love with. They're similar to Irish Wolfhounds, but a teensy bit smaller and finer boned, like a shaggy greyhound.
post #38 of 56
Large dog!!! I can't stand small dogs for the most part (bad experiences with them)
post #39 of 56
Well right now there wouldn't be enough room here for a big dog. I love them all but I would rather have a small dog right now. I think it would fit into our family better and I wouldn't be as paranoid about them eating my birds for lunch. My last dog was a dachsund mix and I would like to get another. Maybe a yorkie, cocker spaniel or a pomeranian(sp).

Or just a cute little mutt.
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsallover View Post
Huh. Our Boxer is wonderful with other dogs, and many of the people on my Boxer forums take their Boxers to doggie daycare, off leash dog parks, etc. Any problems seem to crop up in teenage hood (and Boxers take 2 years to mature physically, 3-4 mentally ), and when they are quickly nipped in the bud, no problem. An improperly socialized puppy can be a problem too, if he hasn't been exposed to other dogs, then he doesn't learn how to behave with other dogs. I've come across statements that say that some other dogs don't like Boxers, due to their rough, overexuberant play, and the set of their eyes is believed to bother other dogs (makes them look like they are giving a "dominant stare").

.

I know you're going to think I'm a nut , but this is a set up for problems in adolecence. Boxers are independent thinkers, as they were bred to be guardians of children (hence, being good with kids) and they will (like any dog, but probably with more stubborness ) try to establish themselves as the Alpha dog if no one else steps up. He should only be allowed to get in the bed when invited (as this is a higher place, reserved for the alpha dog ) and in their laps when invited. A book I've heard good reviews about is "Boxers for Dummies" which addresses these things, so you can avoid the problems (house destroying too) you've talked about. Being such an energy filled, strong dog, training is really essential. Please don't take any of this wrong, I really just want your friends to end up with a Boxer they can enjoy.

And yes, my dog thinks she is a Yorkie !
Our Boxer was an adult (from a shelter) when we got him, and the problems started after he was attacked and badly injured by another dog when he was 5. He never trusted strange dogs after that, and we couldn't trust him with them. One time I was walking him in the woods, and a Lab came up, wagged his tail, laid down, and presented his belly and throat to Fritz. No problem, right? Fritz went for his throat.

My hairdresser is taking her dog to obedience school every Saturday, and has gotten some Boxer books, too. The destructiveness is part puppyhood, part Boxer trait, I think. As far as sleeping in bed - well, that's not something I like, not just because of the dominance issue, but also because of ticks (very bad around here, with lots of cases of Lyme's Disease). Laps, okay, but what do you do when the puppy grows into a huge Great Dane, e.g., and still tries to fit on your lap? My sister's Dane (RB) used to do his darndest to "fit".
post #41 of 56
I hope to have 1 large dog and 1 small dog sometime in my lifetime. I German Shepherds. At some point I'd also love to raise a small breed puppy alongside a kitten. I hope I live long enough to do all of that.
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
Our Boxer was an adult (from a shelter) when we got him, and the problems started after he was attacked and badly injured by another dog when he was 5. He never trusted strange dogs after that, and we couldn't trust him with them. One time I was walking him in the woods, and a Lab came up, wagged his tail, laid down, and presented his belly and throat to Fritz. No problem, right? Fritz went for his throat.
Our Boxer came from a shelter too, at age one , fortunately, she is a submissive dog for the most part (so far )- being attacked would certainly explain his not liking strange dogs . My dad's GS (now RB) went for me one day, I don't like strange dogs either, anymore .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
Laps, okay, but what do you do when the puppy grows into a huge Great Dane, e.g., and still tries to fit on your lap? My sister's Dane (RB) used to do his darndest to "fit".

The general consensus on the Boxer forums seems to be that you say "OOOF!" (and make sure they've learned the "off" command!)
post #43 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylacat View Post
Well right now there wouldn't be enough room here for a big dog. I love them all but I would rather have a small dog right now. I think it would fit into our family better and I wouldn't be as paranoid about them eating my birds for lunch. My last dog was a dachsund mix and I would like to get another. Maybe a yorkie, cocker spaniel or a pomeranian(sp).

Or just a cute little mutt.
I had a cocker spaniel and I have chickens and that didn't work out very well the cocker spaniel snatched a chicken out of my dad's hands.
post #44 of 56
Thread Starter 
Macy likes trying to fit in our laps as well but she normally sits to the side of us now and she has the sweetest thing she does where she will lay her head on you and then look up at you with these big sad eyes and she just melts your heart.
post #45 of 56
Mattie gave me the that guilt-inducing look last night ("but momma, I just need some snuggle time with you so bad"), and I ended up spending an extra half and hour in my recliner (at midnight) with a 57 lb dog taking a nap in my lap! I'm a sucker...
post #46 of 56
I have both.. I've got a 4 year old German Shepherd, a 2 year old APBT, and a 3 year old Jack Russell Terrier... all rescues. I prefer larger dogs and my next puppy will hopefully be another German Shepherd... unless someone else picks me first, lol.
post #47 of 56
I perfer large dogs to the squeaky kind. I like to walk and I love a big faithful old dog with me.
post #48 of 56
We are looking at getting a portuguese Water Dog, it is a Medium/large dog that is hypoalergenic and non-sheading.
post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005 View Post
We are looking at getting a portuguese Water Dog, it is a Medium/large dog that is hypoalergenic and non-sheading.
those are a active breed .. fun
post #50 of 56
I love all dogs. Before I used to have all small dogs except for Kaluah and Lola. But they were mostly my sisters dogs she didnt want. I like big dogs the best. But Also like small dogs.
post #51 of 56
BIG DOGS RULE!

I love big dogs, the bigger the better. Those are the kind of dogs that make you feel protected.

Someone who breaks into your house and attacks you can just kick a chihuahua at a wall. A german shepherd/mastiff/St. Bernard on the otherhand can give a person a run for their money.

Plus they are so much fun to cuddle with!!!! I love them so much! Great Danes are my favorite though.
post #52 of 56
Thread Starter 
Right now I my dad and I have five dogs and my uncle next door has two more dogs so on the property we have a total of 7 dogs. Well three of them are large dogs and I love all three of them. Their names are Lady a 10 year old border collie shep mix and she's my oldest girl she actually saved me from a chow one day, Lucky a big goofy lab boxer mix she's 5, and Macy a fullblooded boxer and she's my big mush she's a year old.
Then there's our small dogs Tiny who was supposed to be my dog but she choose my dad she's a chiuhauha and she is a yapper and is 8 years old, and then we have the rat terriers Bubba who is also 8, Bubba Jr who is 7 and Lilly who is 2 and will be three by about either feb or march.

And I love all three of them the same but you can do different things with all of them. Lady can't really play anymore because she has arthritis but she used to be a hard working farm dog. Lucky would make a good hunting dog but she mostly is just a big mush except with small animals I don't trust her. Macy you can do anything to that dog and she will still wag her tail at you and try to give you kisses and love you. Tiny is our barker and she thinks she's the size of our house and bites our big dogs but she can be oh so sweet. Bubba and Jr are both very sweet dogs and they love petting. Lilly is my little monster she will chew up anything that doesn't chew her up first. But she is like a little heater at night and is so loving. So I guess I like them both.
post #53 of 56
That's a tough one.. I love my large dogs.. My rottis,, but I've been wanting a yorkie soo bad!!!
post #54 of 56
I have both big dogs and a small dog. I have to say while I love both, small dogs are so much easier. They can be taken with you in the car, and while traveling so much easier than a large dog can.
post #55 of 56
I always like large dogs, but lately small ones are growing on me. Yorkies are just so cute! As are Japanese Chins, a teacher at school has one that comes in with her everyday. He was a puppymill rescue and is very very sick at about 9 years old.

Anyways, I love Irish Wolfhounds and Great Pyrenees. Cane Corsos are cool too, I know of a guy who breeds them along with some major rescue work he does.

My favorite breed though I think would have to be a black Chow Chow. They are gorgeous!

Of course when the day comes and I finally have room and money for a dog, I will be going to the pound and rescuing the dog that picks me. I can't wait for that day.
post #56 of 56
I prefer medium dogs for my lifestyle (my husband and I hike and I birdwatch in the woods), but my heart melts when I see Shih Tzus (sp?), the short terriers, and Pugs! There are advantages and disadvantages for each category. You should just weigh the pros and cons honestly, talk to people who own dogs of either size, and contact breed rescues or clubs and ask about it.

One thing I like about my pit bull is that he's a nice 40ish pounds -- he's sturdy enough we can hike rugged trails with him. Although he's a worthless guard dog , he's large and muscular enough that anyone would think twice about breaking into my house or attacking me out in the woods. He's great fun to play with and I don't have to worry about him if he bumps into a tree, etc. He's built like a tank

My terrier mix was only 16 pounds. She was a lot easier to clean up after and was a great little watchdog. My husband, she, and I could all be on the couch at the same time without being crowded. She was less expensive to feed and medicate. Her toys, collars, and bedding were less expensive than my pit bull's. We really had to watch her because she loved to jump but had no fear of heights.

Good luck with your decision!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cats and Other Animals
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › Which would you rather have