Which kind of dry Cat food do you use?

scoot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have always used Science diet on my cats and never had a problem. I was talking to a friend tonight and she said that there are a lot of Bio products in the SD and that I should use Nutro? I am wondering your options on Cat food brands.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I like the higher quality brands better but their not readily available to me. So I've been stuck with Eukanuba for now. Puff doesn't seem to be allergic to the fillers like my dog is so it's not so bad. And it doesn't have dye in it so it won't hurt his teeth. So it shouldn't be too detrimental to his health.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used Nutro and would again if Zoey gets over her sensitivitys ... She currently eats Felidea but I dont like the results and am looking for something else I am thinking castor and polluck or timberwolf organics...

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the process of switching my cats from Science Diet to Wellness dry food. I'm also trying to get them used to canned food. When I tried canned food in the past they licked the gravy and ignored the solids. I find that they like the higher quality canned food better and are learning to eat it. So far my crew seems to prefer Merricks.

Other than Wellness some good dry foods are Enova, Felidae, Natures Valley, Merricks or Natural Balance. The same companies make good canned food.

I'm sure some of the experts on cat nutrition will be along with a more complete list of quality foods.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of the above food suggestions are good.

My cats are 6 1/2 years old.
I have been using Nutro Complete Care Wt. Management dry /pouches with an equal amount of Nutro CC Senior pouches.

I also give them Meow Mix Pouches 1/2 shared a couple time a week as a treat.

I add a teaspoon of filter water to their wet, which they have AM/PM.
A quality wet food, because of it's water content, is very important.
It helps keep your kitty well hydrated, which is essential to long term heath.

I have tried to rotate their diet without much success...
their tummy's become upset even though I go very slowly.

How old is your kitty?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm using castor & pollux kitten for both my kitties, there's no keeping them to seperate bowls
I'm happy with it, they seem to be too since they eat it without complaints (yes the kitten usually complains about everything) and it doesn't make Sho sick.
Though aside from Sho's stomach being a little sensitive I could probably fill his bowl with rocks and he wouldn't know the difference, the cat will eat anything
He does seem to really love the banana chips in it, he'll actually pick all of the little pieces of out first.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I might have to try Castor & Pollux .
I like banana chips too.

Seriously...that is one food that I have not tried.....
I may look into it as a possibility for my babies.
I am always looking for a good backup option.

candlemaven

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wilbur and Milo eat a mix of three dry foods: Innova Adult; Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul - Adult; and Nutro Naturals Adult.

I am, however, considering swapping out the Nutro with Natural Balance (based upon the good reviews it has gotten on this site).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I might have to try Castor & Pollux .
I like banana chips too.
Just don't snack on the kitty banana chips though, they have a flavor coating on them
.... not that I've taste tested them myself, you can sort of see it on the pieces.

I wonder if it's possible to make some sort of homemade crunchy dried fruit snack/treat for kitties? Maybe use homemade broth to flavor with too since preservatives and msg are added to some of the canned stuff. Chicken kitty trail mix ?

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Duke eats Innova EVO dry. Its rich, and even though we have gradually switched, its caused him to have loose bowels. We're gonna try to stick with it though, because it really is a good brand.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a buffet of dry foods over here. I feed Innova Evo, Royal Canin, California Natural, Wellness and I just added Life's Abundance.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats eat a veterinary cat food... dry Waltham w/d Feline. It's the only cat food that Abby likes. She is very shape oriented when it comes to food and it took me some time to find food that had pieces the size and shape that she likes. She doesn't like wet food or even canned tuna or salmon...just the w/d feline.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scoot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried to rotate their diet without much success...
their tummy's become upset even though I go very slowly.

How old is your kitty?>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well, I have a 3 year old and I also just got a kitten today......He has been on the Nutro for about 2 weeks......I currently use Science Diet.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed the Felidae Chicken and Rice (switched from SD-2 of my cats can't have fish in their food, hence the C & R) and am really pleased with the results- they are back down to their correct weights and their coats are really soft and shiney now- and 3 out of 4 are seniors

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Wow! I feel like the redneck here, cat food-wise: I give mine plain old Purina! (I buy an 18 lb. bag every week-- I have 9 cats). I also use Purina One, as it seems to help Jasmine's coat. Today, I bought the natural version of Purina dry food; they seem to like it. I have trouble getting my guys to eat higher-end dry food. At any rate, my cats always have been very healthy eating Purina products. Their coats are shiny, their eyes are clear, they have lots of energy, etc. I am, however, worried about the nutritional needs for my 3 FeLv positive cats (I have another post about this), so I bought the natural Purina stuff, and will feed it to all of them. It has chicken, brown rice, and cranberries in it. They eat 9 Lives (gasp!) canned food; I also give them Iams canned food. They get very few table scraps and treats, nor do I give them milk. Rarely, I give them a bit of tuna, but only one small serving, not as a meal.

My mom's cat has a severe weight problem. The vet prescribed various "diet" dry foods, including Hill's Science Diet, but to no avail. She's now 20 lbs. (she's acutally gained weight! My Mom is very strict about her feedings, the cat doesn't go outside, and there are no other pets in the house for her to steal food from. Every vet we've taken her to says her has no medical problems that would cause her to gain weight, so it's a mystery to us!

MargeCat

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Duke was on Purina Naturals before I switched to Innova EVO. My only issue with it was that he constantly had poop in his litterbox. I mean ALL THE TIME! I read that this was from all the filler stuff (like corn meal) that they put in it. A week after I switched, his 'deposits' were decreased significantly. Now, over three weeks later, he has very loose stools about once a day. I'm gonna try mixing the Purina Naturals back into his diet for a while until he gets used to the EVO.

I should also mention that Duke is siamese and he has a sensitive tummy. He will throw up within five minutes if he has even the smallest amount of milk.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

Duke was on Purina Naturals before I switched to Innova EVO. My only issue with it was that he constantly had poop in his litterbox. I mean ALL THE TIME! I read that this was from all the filler stuff (like corn meal) that they put in it. A week after I switched, his 'deposits' were decreased significantly. Now, over three weeks later, he has very loose stools about once a day. I'm gonna try mixing the Purina Naturals back into his diet for a while until he gets used to the EVO.

I should also mention that Duke is siamese and he has a sensitive tummy. He will throw up within five minutes if he has even the smallest amount of milk.
Uh-oh! thanks for warning me! I guess the cats will be leaving me a few more "Christmas presents"--the kind they don't usually leave under the tree, if you get my meaning!

MargeCat

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Uh-oh! thanks for warning me! I guess the cats will be leaving me a few more "Christmas presents"--the kind they don't usually leave under the tree, if you get my meaning!

MargeCat
I don't know. It may be different for your cats. If they are OK with the Purina One, they'll probably be fine with the Purina Naturals as well. Especially if $$$ is an issue because EVO is expensive. Try out the Naturals for a while and see how it goes...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One in some formulas the ingrediants are identical to natural s or a bit better...

for the price of one Nutro and Chicken soup are better foods IMHO