furminator Q

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i bought one and brought it back. it's supposed to lift the undercoat of a cat...never worked for me at all.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got my second one today (upgraded from a small to a medium) and I find the medium one works a lot better. It doesn't shave the cat or cut any fur, it just pulls all the loose undercoat out.
There is some more info here

This is how much loose fur I removed from Bumper today, so it definitely works for me

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the link that icklemiss provided it said it doesnt cut. The comb is a blade?

I saw all that hair from Bumper and ordered one, I hope it helps.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't know if this is the gadget I bought at Wal-Mart awhile ago (all I remember is that it was something advertised on TV, and Wal-Mart's price was $9.95, as opposed to the TV price of $19.95). Anyway, I used it on 2 of my cats then, and it took a lot of loose fur off one, but nothing off the Maine Coon cat. I thought it was well worth the price; I've just forgotten where I put it, so I haven't used it since then!

MargeCat

candlemaven

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love the Furminator!! It's expensive, but worth it. The hair that I get from Wilbur is crazy.

Definitely check out the Furminator's website...there's no cutting involved. The comb just lifts out the dead undercoat hair without damaging the top coat.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I ordered and received my FURminator size med. and I LOVE IT!!!!! It works on my long and short haired kitties and its the best comb I have ever used!!!!

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
why does it not work for me??

I mean could i be doing it wrong?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosey

why does it not work for me??

I mean could i be doing it wrong?
I just used it like I would a regular comb
is that how you used it? Are you sure it was the FURMinator?

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes i'm sure..i paid 40$ for it.

I used it as a regular comb and got next to nothing out. I get more by petting them than I did with the furminator.

Maybe i'll try it again now that i have more time.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmmm I dont know then.

I use combs on my baby's and it does a good job on them but the furminator was not even close to a comb on mine, it is fantastic. Maybe you could try it again? I dont know why it wouldnt work

purefusion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found it'll get more hair if you use two hands: one to brush with and the other to hold the skin steady (palm flat, slight pressure down). Also, try curving your strokes up and away from the skin: start with the "blade" straight up and down, press to the skin gently and pull a short ways along the body, then curve the blade by moving the handle back over the body gradually and pull up at the same time, This extra lift will help to grab the undercoat the remove more hairs. It worked great on my parent's cat (shorthair), but Jaden won't tolerate it (the brush is too heavy for her delicate skin, I think). I'm going to try out the ShedEnder for her because it's designed more like a comb than a grooming tool.

eudevie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While the Shed-Ender does well at getting the loose fur out, You have to use it a certain way. the part that says "Front" needs to face the direction the fur is going. And if you want to use it left-handed, you have to take the screws off and switch the comb around. Clean the shedding out of the comb after a few passes as well.
But between my 2 cats, I'm getting quite a bit of sheddings out of them. I'm saving it so when I have enough, I'll try to spin it into yarn, yarn into a scarf...or something. Spinned-shedding yarn is supposed to be quite soft and warm. And the cats will have less hairballs,too!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

This worked great for my cats especially Severino, we took so much hair off of him we could have made another cat, also I think their hair feels softer now
Did you use it on Joey yet? It worked fantastic on my short hairs too.