Bengal breeders - longhair bengals?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the other cat board someone mentioned about longhair bengals. Do you all know anything about them? Are they trying to come up with a "new" breed now? What are your thoughts on them?

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From what little I know, they are not the standard, so they aren't something a breeder would want. Apparently there is a long haired gene in the breed, but long hairs are not accepted for show, and would be pet quality. Maybe things will or have changed, but the last time I checked Long haired Bengals are not a desired trait.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, would the cats be registered as bengals? It sounds like they have a full bengal lineage.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my understanding is long hair bengals are a " throw back of a resessive trait kinda like deerhound chiauas

they are registerable if they are papered but I think would only show in the HHP

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been breeding bengals for 9 years and have yet to have long-haired bengal show up in my gene pool. I don't think this is a common gene and I don't think it's an attractive feature for bengals to have.
Spotting or Rosetting doesn't look good on long hair, IMO.

OTOH, a long hair marble bengal might be attractive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree on the spotting - would be hard to tell. But the marble would probably be like the classic tabby in a maine coon/persian.

And you realize that just when you say you haven't got one, it happens
I know there was a longhair cat in the cornish rex gene pool and its only shown up twice that I've heard of. One was a white rex (in Pennsylvania) long time ago - and not pretty either - I got to see it. And the breeder I got one of my females from - she had one show up in her lines (that caused her to do a little tracing
). Her mom took the kitten and kept it clipped down.

We know which lines its out of but its so recessive it rarely shows.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a recessive gene that does pop up but it is not the standard and not desired for breeding. They are still considered bengals but are registered as "not standard", just like blue bengals. melanistic bengals, ect.ect.
It seems that anything that can possibly be bred, some people will breed for. I don't think long hair will ever become part of the bengal breed standard. Just like Nial said, long hair tends to hide the pattern. I do have pictures of one long haired bengal that was beautiful! He was in rescue and I was tempted to adopt him.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying very hard (and failing!) to imagine what a long haired bengal would look like!
It's a very intersting concept. Of course many long haired breeds met with resistance by breeders when they first appeared in short haired litters and took a while to become established. I have a somali (and hope to breed them in the future) and I understand that Abysinnian breeders were very opposed to the long haired cats that popped up from time to time in their litters and tried to deny their existence until someone decided they could actually develop a new breed from them. I guess it was the same for al lot of the long haired breeds. I'm really not sure what I think about long haired bengals tbh.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

I'm trying very hard (and failing!) to imagine what a long haired bengal would look like!
It's a very intersting concept. Of course many long haired breeds met with resistance by breeders when they first appeared in short haired litters and took a while to become established. I have a somali (and hope to breed them in the future) and I understand that Abysinnian breeders were very opposed to the long haired cats that popped up from time to time in their litters and tried to deny their existence until someone decided they could actually develop a new breed from them. I guess it was the same for al lot of the long haired breeds. I'm really not sure what I think about long haired bengals tbh.
There are some links posted above to some sites that are breeding Long Hair or as they call them Cashmere Bengals.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
here, I can put your mind to rest. here's some pics of a long haired bengal. This bengal is exceptional though. Most of the time you can't see the pattern this well.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O... M... G... !!!!!

Most of the pics I've seen have been of kittens, and usually in their fuzzies which makes it even harder to see the pattern. This cat is exceptional indeed!!!

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
very pretty, huh. He was in rescue and I was so tempted to rescue him but I have too many cats as it is. Hopefully he found a good home.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want a long haired bangle now
One more to add to my large list of cats to get some day, thanks for bringing this one to my attention
I think it is awesome! I like the way it makes the face look! Since they aren't a desired look, mabey I can find one that is affordable

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

I want a long haired bangle now
One more to add to my large list of cats to get some day, thanks for bringing this one to my attention
I think it is awesome! I like the way it makes the face look! Since they aren't a desired look, mabey I can find on that is affordable
One of my breeder frineds that lives close to me had a long haired bengal kitten not too long ago. I don't know how much she sold it for but I can ask her to let me know if she ever has any more. That kitten was so cute! Such a perfect little bengal pace.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

One of my breeder frineds that lives close to me had a long haired bengal kitten not too long ago. I don't know how much she sold it for but I can ask her to let me know if she ever has any more. That kitten was so cute! Such a perfect little bengal pace.
Thank-you! I would like to know about it if she has another. Does/will she ship? I would have to have a kitten shipped from that far of coarse. Well, even if she doesn't let me know any way, that way I would still have some sort of an idea on prices, I guess

Thanx