It hurts my feelings when Trout bites...

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what is WRONG with her..does she not trust me? I have had her for 2 years and have never hurt her once.

She was just laying on me purring away, and I was petting her. Well I went to pet her foot, and she growled and bit me!! So then I tried talking to her calmly and then any move I made after that she was seriously trying to bite me...I feel awful about it, it literally makes me feel heartbroken that she can just bite me and not care. I don't get it
She wasn't playing at all and sometimes I feel hopeless that I have such an aggressive cat.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry that Trout bites you. Maybe she's just crotchity and it's nothing personal. My cat Shane is 9 years old, and I've had him since he was 2 months old. He doesn't bite me, but he growls and hisses at me every time I try to move him off of my chair or my lap. I just say, "Stop your growling at me, Shane!" Then he storms off pouting. He's just crotchity. It doesn't bother me, because I know he loves me.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would just put her down when she gets feisty like that. Showing her that it gets her nowhere. What Hope said is good too. Tell her "Stop biting me, Trout".

I know what you mean about it hurting your feelings. I remember one time when I had Babygirl and I was in the bed crying, she jumped to the bed and came and sat by my face. I was just thinking, as tears were coming down my face "awwww Babygirl that is so sweet your coming to check on me " and right about that time, she bit me.

cazx01

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean! Ive had Bayley for over a year now, i found him in an alley way, he is still very nervous, and cowers away from everyone, but he always come's and lays on my lap, but he will be aggressive and bite me, once he bit my thumb so bad it got infected and my whole thumb went purple!

But when ever he bites me, i just stop stroking him and just ignore him, im hoping that one day he will get the drift?!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my friend's has a torti that looks alot like your's and she is a bit like that one minute she can be sweet and loving and the next she is biting and fiesty and we simply call it tortitude. I would not take it personally maybe you hit a ticklish spot and you didn't know it.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just fickle. usually torties. My TwoFace is the only one I know that is calm and sweet all the time, to every human and every other cat.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Well, Trout should have been born a "female dog"
LOL No Trout is just Queen and needs her respect. Lily and Annie are both the same way. I have to be very careful with Annie. I cant pick her up or hold her in my lap. I cant pet her if she doesnt approach me and even then its iffy. I try to just mess with her when she comes up to me head butting and purring. Even then she sometimes bites me and yowls like a crazy wild cat. Lily has really mellowed out the last year or so but before I would just be petting her and she would snap at me after a little while. Now she only rarely does that. Nazumi also bites but hes only playing.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My MIL's tortie would do the same thing. I'd go into the garadge to visit her (she stayed in there while we visited because of DH's allergies so we could leave the bedroom door open for air, since it was in a basement.) and she'd be all happy to see me. I'd pet her and she'd be loving it, then suddenly bite!

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean about it hurting your feelings.

Cosmo will let me pet him for a while, but only a short time. He's an "I must be at arms length" kinda cat. Usually, after a bit of petting, he'll bite. Luckily, he is conscious not to bite hard, but it is a sign of "ok, I've had enough".

This is in stark constrast to my last cat who was about the most friendly affectionate must-be-on-lap type of cat. So it's taken adjustment on my part.

What I do now is not overstep the bounds. I pet him for only short periods when he's looking for it. I stick to routines. I put him on my lap for only the amount of time he'll tolerate without fighting to get away. He's slowly coming around, but I don't think he'll ever be a lap-cat mush. They are just all different... just like some people are more touchy-feely than others.