Question about fur & breed type

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, I know Ferris is a DLH moggie, and I love him to pieces.

However, like lots of moggie owners out there, I enjoy having an understanding of some of the genes my kitty may have inherited along the way.

He appears to have Maine Coon in him, based upon build, but as he gets older, I'm less sure of this whereas as Ginger gets older, the more strongly I feel that she has a lot of MC in her.

Through the research I've done, Ferris' snout most closely resembles that of a Turkish Angora. His coat does not appear to have the same undercoat that my Ginger does, and his fur feels like rabbit fur, it is so soft. He does have toe tufts, but they are not as full as Ginger's.

Because he has started allowing me to pet him, I've gotten close and started realizing that he has some other characteristics I'd like to know what breed(s) they MAY represent.

Specifically, as his coat grows longer (he is 7 months old) it appears to be of uneven lengths, almost like it is layered (if he went to a hairdresser, LOL.) Also, his fur is starting to grow in with waves in several places, behind his ears being the most apparent at the moment. He also goes limp alot when he is being petted, although never when he is being held, as he won't allow it.

What breeds have single-coat fur that waves?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I should add that his fur appears scruffy, even right after being combed. When he sits in "meatloaf" position, the fur on his spine stands up like a mohawk, and where his legs crease, it sticks out like feathered wings.

Just wondering what other cat types have this kind of a coat...again, I know he's just a plain old mix, and I'm not trying to claim a petigree.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the softer/single coats are turkish angoras, ragdolls, balinese, manx.

Then you have the selkirk rexes in both short and long hair so their coats are wavy. I understand they also feel like the really soft furred teddy bears (chanilly?) - I've never petted one in person.

Sometimes longer hair on MC's tend to be a bit wavy looking (but its not a rex wave).

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he does have any turkish angora in him, he won't get his full coat until he is at least 2 years old, they stay fuzzy and scruffy looking until then! So depending on how old he is you may have a bit of a wait to find out

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

If he does have any turkish angora in him, he won't get his full coat until he is at least 2 years old, they stay fuzzy and scruffy looking until then! So depending on how old he is you may have a bit of a wait to find out
Oh I have no patience, LOL...
Thanks for the responses!

He's so darned cute - I'm enjoying watching him grow!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Ducky also has the tuffed feet and super silky soft fur. He does have an under coat, though.

This is Ducky about 8 months old. To me, then, he looked like a long haired kitty ....

But he didnt fully grow in his mane until after 2 years old.

Ducky also maxed out 18 LBS, no fat, but a big cat.

Ive seen pics of Ferris already starting to show a mane and he is only 7 months old. I bet hes going to have a FULL, thick mane.