Deciding on a cat tree

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Puff needs a place up high to play. So I decided I'm going to get him a cat tree. I've saw the ads on this forum so I'm on the website now trying to decide. Problem is...that's hard when you have so many choices.

I have narrowed it down though.

http://www.stepsforpets.com/A6401.jpg
This one is $86 dollars and looks like it offers the most interactive fun.

http://www.stepsforpets.com/A6501.jpg

However I like the hammock in this one but it's a bit over my price I had in mind. I think I could swing it though IF y'all think it's a bit better to have that??

Puff's never played with a cat tree before so I really hope he likes them.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Some cats love the hammocks, some hate them. Since you aren't sure how Puff will feel about it, you are probably OK to spend less money and get the one without the hammock. If Puff has never had a tree before, it could take a little while for him to get used to it. Abby was terrified of hers for a bit, but putting it near an open window and baiting it with treats and toys helped her to get over her fear, and now she loves it.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how much the second one is, but if I were you I'd go with the first one. My cat tree has a hammock very similar to the one in the second picture, but neither of my cats have ever touched it. They most enjoy the posts for scratching and the levels for being up high.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Some cats love the hammocks, some hate them. Since you aren't sure how Puff will feel about it, you are probably OK to spend less money and get the one without the hammock. If Puff has never had a tree before, it could take a little while for him to get used to it. Abby was terrified of hers for a bit, but putting it near an open window and baiting it with treats and toys helped her to get over her fear, and now she loves it.
Thanks for the advice. Could I maybe make a hammock myself? I'm sure I could get hubby to attach it securely. And I figured I'd put catnip up there to entice him to use it.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If you can sew a bit, I can't see why you can't make one yourself. It would probably be a lot cheaper

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If you can sew a bit, I can't see why you can't make one yourself. It would probably be a lot cheaper
Good then that settles it. I'll make one. I love to sew.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was gonna say the same thing....get the $86 one and make a hammock yourself!

(even if you can't sew real pretty, they have this awesome fabric glue....)

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought the $86 dollar one. It should be here within 6 days.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

I think your babies will love it! And I can't wait to see pics!
Only one kitty baby. Puff. Who is in the process of being spoiled to the hilt. There will be lots of pictures. And I already have the fabric for his hammock.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww Puff is going to be one happy baby! I cant wait to see pics! I wish I could sew, I would probably have hammocks all over the place!

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Awwww Puff is going to be one happy baby! I cant wait to see pics! I wish I could sew, I would probably have hammocks all over the place!
Let me get this made and figure out how I'm going to attach it and then I'll probably have enough material that I can make another.... If you'd like to buy it off me I wouldn't charge a whole lot.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

Let me get this made and figure out how I'm going to attach it and then I'll probably have enough material that I can make another.... If you'd like to buy it off me I wouldn't charge a whole lot.
That would be so cool, but where and what would I attach it to? You could have business there!!!!

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That would be so cool, but where and what would I attach it to? You could have business there!!!!
Do you have a cat tree like I'm getting? Or is there a space you'd like to attach it to elsewhere? Let me know where you could attach it and what would be the best method of attaching it and I'll see what I can do. Right now I have cord for the sides and I am going to attach it to the 3 pillars you see at the bottom of the tree. It would be right behind the first step you see there.

This is close to what I'll be making.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

Do you have a cat tree like I'm getting? Or is there a space you'd like to attach it to elsewhere? Let me know where you could attach it and what would be the best method of attaching it and I'll see what I can do. Right now I have cord for the sides and I am going to attach it to the 3 pillars you see at the bottom of the tree. It would be right behind the first step you see there.

This is close to what I'll be making.
I do have some cat trees around here. Will you be sewing the cord into the hammock fabric and then attaching the cords to the pillars? How will you be attaching the cord? I have 2 cats that are a solid 18lbs and 20 lbs
I wonder if it would be able to withstand them.I wish you could come over

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I do have some cat trees around here. Will you be sewing the cord into the hammock fabric and then attaching the cords to the pillars? How will you be attaching the cord? I have 2 cats that are a solid 18lbs and 20 lbs
I wonder if it would be able to withstand them.I wish you could come over
See that's the kinks I have to work out. I'm thinking maybe the hooks that screw in that you can find in home depot. I could cover them with fabric to make them safe. Or I could get hubby to attach it somehow. I'm still working on that...lol

The cord will be sewed into the sides and protrude out so they can be attached. Plus I may put another cord the other way to stabilize it. That way it doesn't swing too much. I guess I'll see when I start making it. I'm waiting till the tree arrives and I can see how big it needs to be and the best way to attach it. I thought about making the cords long enough so they can tie but then I'm afraid he'd chew on them.

Any idea's on what way is best to attach it?? How are the hammocks attached to the tree's that already come with them??

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just did a search and couldnt really find any info on hanging. Im not sure how they hang them on cat tress because I have never seen one in person. ( A hammock on a tree)

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just did a search and couldnt really find any info on hanging. Im not sure how they hang them on cat tress because I have never seen one in person. ( A hammock on a tree)
Maybe someone else will chime in here with the answer.

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just bought this cat tree on Ebay. The seller is the same as what is used on the picture. It was around $80 and I just put it together Thursday night. So far my cats like me as their cat tree better. LOL

I wanted to get my boys a cat tree for the longest time but the ones I saw at Petsmart were very expensive, so when I saw the prices on Ebay I was pretty excited. I think I am going to have to break out the catnip to get them interested in it.

http://www.stepsforpets.com/A7802.jpg