Ferrals

cephas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A freind of ours has been dropping off strays at a preservation location. It would seem to be a good place, where they will be able to roam and find much nutrition, as they need it. He raise a question to me that I could not answer. The preservation area is approximately 4 miles from his home. He is curious to know if the cats being dropped off are instinctively capable to find their way back to his neighborhood. Anyone have an idea about this??? Thanks

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all I have to ask if the cats are spayed/neutered before they are dropped off. If they are not, there is no way that the cats will all stay in that place.

Yes, if a cat is not properly acclimated to their new surroundings, they will leave and either make their way back to where they came from, or find a new location. There are very specific protocals that should be used when relocating feral cats and stray cats should be placed in homes, not put into a feral colony.

There is some good information about relocating cats here: http://www.alleycat.org/resources_care.html#7

Can you give us more information on what specifically is happening?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cephas

A freind of ours has been dropping off strays at a preservation location. It would seem to be a good place, where they will be able to roam and find much nutrition, as they need it. He raise a question to me that I could not answer. The preservation area is approximately 4 miles from his home. He is curious to know if the cats being dropped off are instinctively capable to find their way back to his neighborhood. Anyone have an idea about this??? Thanks
Cephas....In addition to the questions regarding spaying/neutering that Momofmany has raised...your friend also needs to consider what other species are living in that preserve and the effect these cats will have to those other species. If it is a preserve that has endangered species of birds, then that location is not a good one unless he ensures that he provides daily feedings for these cats and also ensures a safe distance from the nesting sites of the birds. Before releasing anymore cats...your friend needs to do some research. It doesn't help the cats if they are released into an area where they can do harm to another species that is endangered. If we are to prove that TNR works...we must work with the wildlife and bird experts to try to find solutions that do not endanger either the species that are already there or the cats.

Katie