Your opionin on this device?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummm I clicked your link but all I see is a food comparison chart. Is that what I should read or am I missing something?

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't designed to hurt the animal, only to scare it. But they caution you that it can 'sting' your face, and that you shouldn't get your face near it...so what sort of injury could it cause to a cat face or a bird body?
Still, they claim that it was okayed by the Coast Guard.
I wonder how many of them they lose over the sides of the boat?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it can sting your face or hand, it can also sting the animal's hand. I think I would find another way to "train" a cat.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

If it can sting your face or hand, it can also sting the animal's hand. I think I would find another way to "train" a cat.
Yeah...I don't like it.

minuets_mum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hmmmm sounds like it could hurt kitty if not used properly, I see why you were disturbed!

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sounds kinda stupid to me. If you put one on the couch, they would know to avoid it after the first time. You'd have to have a billion on your couch to keep your cat off.

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah... that thing is really dumb. And knowing my cat, he'd probably get a kick out of it.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Psssh, I would never use it. I just wanted to see others reactions, lol.
I don't need one, I just let Persi go where ever he wants. Except for the cooktop. here is what I used to train him to keep off of that:
So, all you guys with some of these left over from the other night; they worked real good on my cat.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's any worse than a scat mat. Of course, if I ever considered using either I'd "test" it myself first.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I don't think it's inhumane, myself, just inappropriate for some cats. There are ways to make similar devices at home, basically anything that startles a cat will work. Things like empty cans filled with coins or beans, anything that drops off surprisingly and makes a loud startling noise. You get the picture...

Now, I always advise caution when using any of those. Some cats are too sensitive and get way too stressed out with these kind of things. I usually advise using other methods where possible, and only go with the startling effect if other techniques don't work, and only with relatively relaxed cats.

Bottom line, I don't think it's inhumane, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first solution either.

And btw, the ads delivered by Google Adsense are not selected by TCS and we are in no way or form liable for anything offered in these ads.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't want to use one in my home. a) I have a phobic, neurotic, parrot due to him having several homes when he was a little baby before I got him, and seeing something like this would probably cause him heart failure even before it went off (just because it is a bright coloured object he is not used to) or would make him fly into walls in a panic possibly injuring or killing him, and b) I love that my cat is afraid of absolutely nothing in this universe and would not want to train him by making him startle - mostly because I have seen the results of what fear and anxiety can do to pets (ie. my parrot)

My cat is welcome anywhere with a couple of exceptions - a hot hob, and we keep him off that by shutting him out of the kitchen when we are cooking, and the bird room, which we keep him out of by use of a locked door. He is welcome anywhere else on any surface. I would have no use in my home for this and wouldn't want one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems as though the cat (or other animal) steps on the stretchy band, then the green part springs up and "snaps" up-probably snaping part of the cat. Ouch. And yes, they would learn to avoid it... put one on the couch, I bet they would just jump on the other side of the couch, LOL.

IMO, pointless and cruel.