Finicky cat

sarmcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all

Out cat is almost 12 years old. In the past 2 weeks she has been VERY finicky when it comes to her wet food. We always have dry food out for her and she gets a few tablespoons of wet food in the morning and at night. She is not over weight in the slightest. Matter of fact she has lost alot of weight over the years.

I cant figure out what her deal is. I have tried everything. I actually went out and bought 6 different cans yesterday. The only one she devoured was Purina Pro Plan Rice & Chicken for adult cats. The stickler is the stuff is expensive. It was over 80 cents a can at Petsmart

Anyone have suggestions of what we should do? We are to the point now where we will just leave out whatever we gave her for 20 minutes and if she wont eat it, it gets taken away. I figure as long as shes eating her dry food then its not like shes starving

Shes driving my husband & I crazy though because if she doesnt like what we put out she whines and meows and then tries to take our food!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she ever had bloodwork done? I'd be concerned about the weight loss.

meower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would also have bloodwork done on her. Both of my cats developed kidney disease when they became older and they dropped weight to help their bodies compensate for the disease.

chloe12.5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going throught the same thing. My kitty has never been so finicky. Now she barely touches her can cat food and used to love it. She did have blood work done and she is in Kidney failure and only 12.5. Have your kitty checked out. Is your cat, drinking a lot of water. That was my first big sign. Now my cat is driving me crazy by waking me up meowing and banging on the mini blinds at 4 in the morning. I heated up some of her can cat food in the microwave (great suggestion from someone on here) and she ate it. Then she woke me up at 530 and this time would not eat. She is not even eating her dry food so I am trying everything I can so she will eat. I am going crazy. If anyone has any other suggestions, please help. Oh, and I bought a can food Royal Canin, modified formula for her since that is all she will eat for kidney probs...if she eats. Also, my kitty has been scratching more and more. No fleas so not sure what is going on there.

Best of luck!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chloe12.5

I am going throught the same thing. My kitty has never been so finicky. Now she barely touches her can cat food and used to love it. She did have blood work done and she is in Kidney failure and only 12.5. Have your kitty checked out. Is your cat, drinking a lot of water. That was my first big sign. Now my cat is driving me crazy by waking me up meowing and banging on the mini blinds at 4 in the morning. I heated up some of her can cat food in the microwave (great suggestion from someone on here) and she ate it. Then she woke me up at 530 and this time would not eat. She is not even eating her dry food so I am trying everything I can so she will eat. I am going crazy. If anyone has any other suggestions, please help. Oh, and I bought a can food Royal Canin, modified formula for her since that is all she will eat for kidney probs...if she eats. Also, my kitty has been scratching more and more. No fleas so not sure what is going on there.

Best of luck!
It's possible she's allergic to one of the ingredients in her new food, which would explain the scratching. Is she eating normal portions? If not, you might ask the vet about appetite stimulants. You might also ask whether she could be nauseous--sometimes that will result in them wanting to eat but not being able to do so. Do you know what her thyroid level is?

chloe12.5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good idea about the food and an allergy. She did have fleas a few weeks ago but they are gone. I can not find any on her, put advantage on and I did foggers in the house. Never thought about food allergy. We have been doing the royal canin food and her food she has always been on, friskies. How can we tell if it is a food allergy? She was on antibiotics but that was weeks ago when we finished. We did get an appetite stimulant from the vet and I have those but do not want to give to unless I absolutely have to. Her thyroid test came out fine. Thank you for your input. I am really enjoying this discussion forum.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Food allergy on the current food could be anything from artificial colors and flavors to corn or by products...

most common cat food alleregies

wheat

corn

fish

chicken( getting more common)

rice ( see chicken)

chloe12.5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. So would I need to have her tested for an allergy? Could it be the colder weather and dry skin like humans get? Thanks again for all your help!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes it could be dry skin ... do you have a humidifier?? I dont think trditional allegy tests due much other than drain the walet... Natural balence makes a great food to do a food trial( nothing but that food for 6-12 weeks)... it is venison and pea which is not common ingrediants for cat food and being one starch one meat it is free of the common alleregens... Others have chn and rice formulas ( I use the felidea currently for one)

chloe12.5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do not have a humidifier. Is the cat food you mentioned good for kidney problems too?

Thanks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No I dont like that food for kidney cats...

Kidney cats need lower protein and some of the minerals in general than it has