Getting UTI cat on a better food

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I've got a kitty with chronic UTI problems who's been on Hill's C/D for about a year now. The problem is I think that the food is absolute junk, made up of mostly corn and other grain fillers. I also think that's he's slightly allergic to the corn and other grains as he's wheezy on and off.

I tried him on Wysong's Rx food for a few months and I did notice his wheezing lessened a lot, but he hated the food. (for those not familiar, it's a dehydrated food that you moisten with water. I looks a lot like compost! I can't blame him for not liking it.) That and it's about $15 for 7 OUNCES of food, which is a bit on the unaffordable side.

My guy also will only lick the moisture, gravy off of wet food, not actually eat it, so that's not really an option.

I've heard of other people feeding their UTI cats on Innova Evo's kibble with good success. I would love to do that as 1) its a kibble, so I know he would eat it. 2) the ingredients are sooo much better than Hill's and 3) there are no grain fillers, so I think he would feel so much better on it.

I have a bag I'm feeding my other two, and they love it! but I wanted to ask before feeding it to my UTI guy. No sense in switching him only to cause another bout of crystals and UTI's in him.

If no one reccomends Evo, what is another quality food I can try to switch him too? There must be some alternative, as the Rx food doesn't actually have medication in it, it's the balance of nutrients that's important. But I don't know what that balance is, and how to look for it in other quality foods.

Thanks for any help!

~Julia

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also like to know what you all think. My cats HATE the wet Hill's, the dry Hill's, and the Eukanuba wet. Thanks! I am sure sharky knows some good foods!

tangerine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am also having a hard time with UTI foods. Tangerine is eating c/d hills, but i was just wondering if there was something else out there.
He does like the purina UTI wet food... but just looking for something else

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What type if any crystals have been found>>??

I DONT like EVO for UTI cats as the mineral levals are high ( sky high in some of them)...My two vets actually say that is one of the few issues EVO is not helpful in

My research has yeilded Nutros max cat and Purina one the two best ingrediant OTC urinary formulas ... i like the max better ( more meat)... But I need to know what % your vet beleives your cat should have... Royal canin makes RX under waltham and IVD , purina has a decent RX line ... Not found of eukanubas but with RX I bend alot

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just bought some Nutro Max Cat Chicken Flavor Adult that says it is designed for Urinary Tract Health. It also says there is no corn or by-products. I don't know if that would be a right food for cats on prescription diets.

My vets tech was telling me how great Iams Multi Cat would be a for my crew to which I told her I don't think so! A bonus right now is that the Max Cat Chicken Adult seems to be on sale right now in many places.

You might want to check with your vets on this food.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

I just bought some Nutro Max Cat Chicken Flavor Adult that says it is designed for Urinary Tract Health. It also says there is no corn or by-products. I don't know if that would be a right food for cats on prescription diets.

My vets tech was telling me how great Iams Multi Cat would be a for my crew to which I told her I don't think so! A bonus right now is that the Max Cat Chicken Adult seems to be on sale right now in many places.

You might want to check with your vets on this food.
Thanks for the info! I'll be happy to vote for your cutie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He was on Nutro when he got his first UTI. Though he was on the indoor formula.

He was diagnosed with Struvite crystals. He loves the Hills c/d (he's a little carb fiend!) but everytime I buy it I read the ingredients and just shudder.

I've got a crappy vet, that I don't really feel comfortable taking her reccomendations on food. It was a struggle to get the prescription for the Wysong food. They're great for general check-ups and basic problems, but they're def. not on the cutting edge of animal care. That's another thing I'm doing as well, trying to find a new vet!

What should I be looking for ingredient/percentage wise?

Thanks for the help!

~Julia

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm also looking for an alternative to the c/d food for Eric. I agree that the ingredients in Science Diet kibble are junk. I checked the Science Diet site for a nutrients listing. I'm using it to compare Science Diet to other foods.

I haven't tired the canned c/d because Eric was also one of those cats who licked the gravy and ignored the solids. Lately he's been sampling the high quality canned food I'm trying out on the other cats and seems to like it. I'm picking up some canned c/d at the vets tomorrow as a test. The ingredients aren't great but it's worth a try. Better than the kibble at least.

Here's the link to the Science Diet site. http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/owne...=1167356546747

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlutgendorf

He was on Nutro when he got his first UTI. Though he was on the indoor formula.

He was diagnosed with Struvite crystals. He loves the Hills c/d (he's a little carb fiend!) but everytime I buy it I read the ingredients and just shudder.

I've got a crappy vet, that I don't really feel comfortable taking her reccomendations on food. It was a struggle to get the prescription for the Wysong food. They're great for general check-ups and basic problems, but they're def. not on the cutting edge of animal care. That's another thing I'm doing as well, trying to find a new vet!

What should I be looking for ingredient/percentage wise?

Thanks for the help!

~Julia
Julia

The ash and the magnesium in the Nutro indoor is not ideal for a UTI cat .. The max cat is specially formulated for it ... I have basic % but these vary by cat that is why I like a vet to give %s ... magnesium of .085 in a dry food an ash under 7%

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My persian cat who's had a SERIOUS problem with UTI and Crystals is on Royal Canin's SO canned food. My cat LOVES it and it got rid of his crystals in 3 days!! It won't be a forever food, but only for a couple/few months. Then he's going on to either a home made diet or something very similiar such as Spot's Stew.

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My struvite crystalluria boy Pico has been on Royal Canin Urinary SO (mix of the canned and the dry formulations) for 2 months and we've had excellent success. My other boy Romeo has been on the Nutro Max Cat Roasted Chicken dry plus the Max Cat canned. The transition to both foods has been smooth and I highly recommend both types of foods. We've also been adding a bit of water to both of their meals to increase their water uptake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sharky, I see what you mean about the percentages of the Evo, they're way high.

The nutro max cat does have better percentages, but it's still got the corn and other fillers. I think for now I may just leave him on the c/d as I know he won't get a UTI while on it (hope I didn't just jinx myself!) and I can't really afford to switch him right now and rish a flare up. In the meantime I'll keep researching other foods.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll be looking into each of those.

For those other foods that don't list their ingredients out fully online, I should be able to call or write the manufacturer for a full list, right?

~Julia

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep... Yes I know the Max has corn gluten but that is part of why it got certified ... see chicken needs to be highly acidified , now lamb doesnt need as much and you may find a certified food with out corn that way ...

I agree C/D till you are sure he is stable ....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just wanted to toss out that UTI girl(and now my boy) are on Solid Gold Katz-N-Flocken dry food as well as getting Pro Pac Beef wet food. Ophelia has been doing well for many months, not UTi or crystals. Dorian has just started his meds for the UTI on Saturday, so I'm not sure how he's doing on the Katz-N-Flocken yet.