Names & Words

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kitten's name is Mojo. And when we tell her not to do something (like chew on the Christmas tree, rush toward the door), we automatically say "NO". She seems to be getting confused, poor thing. Is it because of all of the "OH" sounds in her name and no? Any experience with names sounding similar to a common command? Any ideas that might not confuse the poor thing into thinking that her name means she's being naughty?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Is it because of all of the "OH" sounds in her name and no?
Could be, I don't have any cats with command similar names, however Missy comes when I call Mister. I guess she hears the Mis and assumes it's her
We try to use her real name, Marsha but normally keep with her nick name.

Perhaps you could say "stop" instead of no.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Supposedly cats respond best to names that end in -ee sounds. Like my name, Julie. Or Rocky, or Kitty, etc.

Maybe try using a different word to mean No, like say "Stop!" as Missy suggested or "Bad!" instead of "No". Or clapping, as my sister does, or snapping your fingers, which is what I do. Since you can't change her name and all!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only one that rhymes with NO is Go. Mmm, now I know the reason he is the naughtiest of all the cats.

mskitty666

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have some sounds and words I use with my cats. They understand down, off and back. If they are about to get into trouble I give the a warning "ah, ah, ah" which usually keep them from doing the bad thing they were about to do. The tone of it lets them know how much trouble they are about to get in. If they are really bad I say no then growl at them. When we are eating they get the squirt bottle or a grumble. Sometimes I also use the squirt bottle as a warning. I'll pick it up, clear my throat and jiggle it a little. When training a new kitty we also use a lot of redirection. If we have to correct someone several times and they are being hard headed, they get the time out in their kennel then get ignored upon release.

I trained my cats that they are not allowed near the door when it is opening. There is some tile so it makes a very good boundary. With the kitten he is in his crate if both of us aren't home. Otherwise one of us holds him. He's too young for the squirt bottle, but we used to keep one at the door when we first move here for our older cats. They learned very quickly. Good luck on the Christmas tree. We never get a tree if we have kittens. They are usually over a year old and fully trained by the time they see their first tree. We put it up without decorations and monitor and correct. Usually after a week we can hang the ornaments. We have plastic ones for the bottom and don't use the fish hooks. If your cat really likes chewing you tree, look for live catnip or grass plants at the pet store and redirect him towards those.

I only use my cats names when they are being fed, given attention or calling them for play. Only positives. Never use their name when scolding, punishing, going to the vet or any unpleaseant activity. My cats usually come if I call them, and they are not sleeping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the door, we're now using "Get Back" and she's learning very quickly.
Mojo is a good little girl.
We also decided that we're going to use a snap with No to teach her that word, and continue using the snap. We inadvertently started doing that with Ginger and she picked it up very quickly.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dave just snaps his fingers and our crew behaves. Course, that gruff look probably doesn't hurt.

Our cat Rosebud is like Mojo: anything with the word RO in it, she comes running. Not good when you also have a cat named Rogue.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmm that's tough. Both Mo and Jo do sound like No. - perhaps you could start calling kitty "joey"???? that would have a different sound on the end.

Keno's name ends in "O" but she is not confused. Because we usually call her Keno, Kenopup, or puppy a lot.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GizmO has no problems understanding NO. But then again, NO is a short monosyllable, and the name is two. MOJO, if spoken quickly, could be mistaken for 'no'.

Perhaps if you said Mojo's name slower she would not be confused.

Hissing and shushing works to keep the noise down but it is important that the cat know what 'no' means.