I have a couple of questions I would like input on please

menou lover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone
I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas! and it continues through the New Year.

I mentioned in a post in November that we adopted two new female kittens (4-5 month olds). The girls are doing fine and the process of introducing the has gone without many complications. My son's named them Sheba and Shela.

Question 1.
I immediately took the kittens to the vet. I must have cleaned them up good they didn't have any flea's left. The vet put them on a kitten plan? Which includes: 1. initial vet visit, 2. then they get seen every two weeks for three visists by the assistant a) weight b) temp c) more shots 3. then another visit with vet. None of my other cats/kittens seen a vet so many times as a kitten is this normal? It almost seems like what I went through with my son ROFL.

Question 2.
I BELIEVE IN SPAYING let me start by saying that. When to spay is my 2nd question. My mother taught me, it was best to let femals have a litter first then spay. Well mom is old fashion and that not going to happen. So I thought the closest I would come to that is let them have a heat before I get them spayed. What is general consensis?

Vet says anytime but I think they are still to young.

Question 3.
Anyone else out there have a cat that Churps? That is the closest word I can come up with for what the noise is they make. Is cute
but is it normal?

When they open their mouth to cry no sound comes out. The runt has been trying really hard to communicate and what I am hearing is Squeeking.

Question 4.
Do/can cats bond to more than one person? Their breed is the simese that look like racoons. They still sleep in the safe room, with my youngest son 31. He was never going to love another cat since he lost Miss Chief and it warms my heart to see him with the kittens
He is smiling and laughing again.

I am trying to avoid as much contact as possible I do not want them bonding to me. But it is hard not to do as I the one they see most. The little one always seems to need someone close to her, don't touch her just close. haha

ok off to vet visit no. 3 for the girls

Hugs Menou lover

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll give answering you a shot:

1. No way do kittens need to be seen every 2-3 weeks unless they have severe health issues! Sounds to me like a vet that is trying to empty your wallet! Please shop around for another vet!

2.) Please spay your cats as early as the vet will perform the surgery. It is NOT necessary for a cat to go into heat first. I had Ginger done at 16 weeks old with ZERO problems.

3.) Both my kitties chirp and trill, this is how kitties talk.
Some cats never meow, but only squeak and chirp, others, you can't shut 'em up, and they meow all the time.

4.) Some cats bond to only one person, and others love anyone that will give them attention. Each cat is as individual as humans are.

I hope this helps.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My answers:

1. No, it is not necessary. It is important that they are seen often if they are very young and orphaned, but if they are now at least 6 months old, they need only get their kitten shots and that's it aside from spaying until time for their annual exam or an illness, etc

2. They should have been spayed already. So the answer to that is, as soon as you possibly can have them spayed, have them spayed. Going into even one heat first actually increases their risks of mammary cancer, which is almost eliminated in females spayed before their first heat (though it is still better the fewer heats they go into). You are right, there is NO reason to allow them to have a litter first.

3. I know the noise you mean, and yes, it is normal. Zissou does that more often than she meows, at interesting prey (through the window, a toy, a bug that's gotten in, etc), at her food, as a greeting, as a "hey, what are we doing now?" all kinds of things. She only meows when she's distressed.

4. Cats should be well-socialized and should be given as much human contact as possible. Some cats will bond with one person, some with a whole family, some with nobody in particular but will become attached to other cats/ the house/ etc. Why are you trying to prevent their bonding to you?

Another thing: At this point, its quite alright to let them explore the rest of the house. They've been there for a month or more, they're six months or older, and they're healthy. There is no reason to keep them confined to one room. Just make sure the house is kitten-proofed, and let them explore on their own time (that is, leave the door open and let them leave or not as they wish).

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some breed chirp more than others;it's common in Manx and Manx-mixes. Also, cats do bond with more than one person; they just acknowledge a hierarchy in the clan. My cats ADORE my grandson, but make it obvious that I am considered "Senior Cat", not just by virtue of age

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal to have 3-4 vet visits for shots. With my kittens they had their shots at 6,9,12 weeks then rabies at 4 months.

They can be safely spayed at 8 weeks, so you can get them done now. It's better to get it done before their first heat.

I'm also wondering why you don't want them to bond with you? Cats require lots of hands on, human attention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menou lover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your input
I should have put a little more information in, my appologies.

1. Our vet only charged me one price for all the visits, it is what they call the kitten plan. Since the girls were pretty old when I got them they were going to work out something when it came time to spay them.

2. Spaying is a concern like I didn't know they could get cancer if not done early. I just want them to have time get to know us and trust us (me). The dog pound did the twins when they were just 2lbs
and that was way to young in my opinion.

3. Cool
I hope they continue to churp lol they sound so cute.

4. I should have mentioned in the post that I have 5 rather large adult cats in the home already, three of which are males.

Liberty Belle female 16 could care less as long as they take Little Foot's attention off of her.

Little Foot male 5 yrs simese mix, domaniant cat of house. I believe that he is reincarnated and has a human soul in him. I don't think he knows he is a cat. He is bonded to me heart and soul. He has not objected to the kittens and it needs to stay that way
As domanint male he will mark the home to show territory when threatened, from cats outside or within.

Gypsy, female 5, russian blue mix has always been the house mom for all the cats and kittens.

Cuddles & Bawana
my white twin males, 2.5 years old.

LF and Cuddles have issues over who's boss. It is the nature of males and I let them work it out providing there is no bloodshed. I believe Cuddles to be a very smart cat. He lets LF think he is boss!

Our home has cathedral ceilings which makes it big and airy, but at 8 feet from the floor it has a ledge that extends 18 inches around most rooms. This is a perfect place for cats to roam and kittens to get hurt. Also, cats are nocturnal, with 5 adult cats roaming the home at night I can't say with certainty they would be safe quite yet. There are still issues with the males and the kittens we are working on. I would never forgive myself if something happened to them while I slept.

When there are adults present the girls are free to rampage throught the home and garage. HAHAHA ramage they do!

The little orange kitten was born the runt (Sheila) it was evidant that there is possible brain damage. This kitten was going to require more attention than most cats. Sheila never left her sister (Sheba) side the entire time we were there to choose a kitten. I was very proud of my son Eric (whom is terrified I will become the cazy cat lady) to suggest we take both kittens.

Nima, our other son lost his cat a while back and has been depressed, vowing never to love an animal again.

This is not the first time we adopted kittys and everyone knew they needed a safe room. Because of circumstances everyone agreed it would have to be Nima's room. I told him he did not have to care or pay attention to the kittens but until they were a little older and had been introduced to the adult cats we all knew the drill.

After a couple of days I noticed a worried look on Nima's face and asked him what was up? He says to me "when do they go to vet?" I told him the date and asked him why he wanted to know. Remember the kitten you rescued from the backyard (Nima had named him for me) Yes, I remember Garfield!

I started to cry... Nima was afraid to care for the new kittens.

I remember the heartwrenching pain and anguish at having to put Garfield to sleep because he was so sick. How angry I am at people who toss animals away with so little regard or thought, what punishment would I have cast upon them that led Garfield and to many others to an end they did not deserve.

I reasured Nima the girls were not going to be put to sleep. That even if they tested positive we would find a way. (God as my witness I was so terrified at memories of that day with Garfield, I called the vet office and had them tested immediately) Negative

It has been a month
Nima and Sheila are bonding very nicely, neither of them asks more of each other than the other one is capable of giving.

Sheba has all the qualities of a show cat. What a personality!!! She loves everyone and is smart as a whip

Both kittens brought so much laughter to our home this holiday. And the older cats have been acting like kittens again

My husband and I both believe in quality of life not quantity. When I take on more responsibilities my husband believes that I will maintain and keep the peace in our home. If this is all he asks of me to let me save just one more kitten or cat
I do this gladly and thank the Lord for giving me such a wonderful mate.

Amen
Hugs Menou Lover

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question 1.
I immediately took the kittens to the vet. I must have cleaned them up good they didn't have any flea's left. The vet put them on a kitten plan? Which includes: 1. initial vet visit, 2. then they get seen every two weeks for three visists by the assistant a) weight b) temp c) more shots 3. then another visit with vet. None of my other cats/kittens seen a vet so many times as a kitten is this normal? It almost seems like what I went through with my son ROFL.

I think its excessive. If you got them from a breeder, most times they have had all their shots. Even so, if they are adopted, they get a few vists for shots and that's it. Kittens are supposed to have a series of shots spaced a few weeks apart - but they don't need to really be examined as if a normal office visit (unless you suspect something wrong).

Question 2.
I BELIEVE IN SPAYING let me start by saying that. When to spay is my 2nd question. My mother taught me, it was best to let femals have a litter first then spay. Well mom is old fashion and that not going to happen. So I thought the closest I would come to that is let them have a heat before I get them spayed. What is general consensis?

Vet says anytime but I think they are still to young.

Charlie was neutered at 3 months of age (before we got him). They are NOT to young to be spayed. You don't have to let them have a litter or come into heat. If they are siamese, they can come into heat and get pregnant at 4 months old.

Question 3.
Anyone else out there have a cat that Churps? That is the closest word I can come up with for what the noise is they make. Is cute but is it normal?

When they open their mouth to cry no sound comes out. The runt has been trying really hard to communicate and what I am hearing is Squeeking.

Lots of cats do that - its happy/excited stuff - normal - don't worry. BTW its spelled "chirp" like the bird

Question 4.
Do/can cats bond to more than one person? Their breed is the simese that look like racoons. They still sleep in the safe room, with my youngest son 31. He was never going to love another cat since he lost Miss Chief and it warms my heart to see him with the kittens He is smiling and laughing again.

I am trying to avoid as much contact as possible I do not want them bonding to me. But it is hard not to do as I the one they see most. The little one always seems to need someone close to her, don't touch her just close. haha

Most cats like all members of the family. They might bond stronger with some, but its really better they bond and except everyone. So stop trying to avoid contact to get them to bond with your kids. Let the kittens learn to come for attention to anyone in the house.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
GoldenKitty45;1490191 said:
Question 1.

Question 3.
Anyone else out there have a cat that Churps?
Lots of cats do that - its happy/excited stuff - normal - don't worry. BTW its spelled "chirp" like the bird

Most cats like all members of the family. They might bond stronger with some, but its really better they bond and except everyone. So stop trying to avoid contact to get them to bond with your kids. Let the kittens learn to come for attention to anyone in the house/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, the devil made me do it. It is spelled "accept" not except.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'm sorry, the devil made me do it. It is spelled "accept" not except.
LOL...yup, if you're going to correct someone else's spelling, you'd better make darned sure that your own is impeccable.
Sorry, had to laugh...

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's one reason I NEVER correct anyones spelling.
If it wasn't for spell check I don't know where I'd be.
Sometimes even spell check doesn't know what I mean

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

That's one reason I NEVER correct anyones spelling.
If it wasn't for spell check I don't know where I'd be.
Sometimes even spell check doesn't know what I mean
I'm one of those freaks that loved spelling in school and am considered to be a better than average speller. However, I do have typos occasionally. I often have to sit on my hands to avoid correcting things but I just couldn't resist this one and hope the poster isn't too annoyed with me.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Miss Teacher
I type faster then I'm thinking at times. Once in awhile I'll reread and correct what I see in my posts. However, I'm a speed reader and proof reading is not a really strong point

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My only addition to what has been said is a repeat of spay them now because they should have already been done. I do them at 6-12 weeks, as SOON as the vet will do it. They recover almost immediately, forget all about it and get back to normal life so much faster. Dont let them go into heat, it is just silly to wait for that because there is no purpose and they can get pregnant as young as 4-5 months. Have them done now please.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Thank you Miss Teacher
I type faster then I'm thinking at times. Once in awhile I'll reread and correct what I see in my posts. However, I'm a speed reader and proof reading is not a really strong point
Glad you weren't offended. I hear you - I can proof anybody's work with an eagle eye, but cannot proof my own. It seems that since I've typed it, I read what I know is SUPPOSED to be there rather than what really is.

The good spelling comes in handy for me as well, like you I also type fairly fast (120 wpm) and often am ahead of myself.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2. Spaying is a concern like I didn't know they could get cancer if not done early. I just want them to have time get to know us and trust us (me). The dog pound did the twins when they were just 2lbs
and that was way to young in my opinion.

I don't know anything about dogs, but there have been numerous studies done that there is no real reason to delay a spay after the cat is physically capable of having surgery. By six months, you're actually a bit late if anything. Cats spayed before their first heat have almost no chance of mammary cancer, but with each heat thereafter the chances go up a little.

Your house sounds like a super fun place for cats!

I'm sorry that your son experienced such a painful loss, and it does sound like the new kittens are going to get into his heart whether he likes it or not! It will be very healing for him.