Would getting another cat help?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Radar is bored. He's a single indoor cat. I spent 9 hours today playing fetch with him, and 7 hours yesterday, I think my arm is going to fall off. I love that cat to death but every time he loses his mouse, or I don't throw it straight away when he brings it to me, he 'plays' hunt with my legs instead, which is not funny with a nearly 8 month old cat who has his adult teeth!!! He wraps around my leg and bites when I don't play with him straight away, even after hours and hours of interactive play.

I would love to be able to wear this cat out by playing so that he sleeps for a while, but it is impossible! I have been thinking about getting him a companion, and was looking at purebreeds which I would have to wait for, but I think now it's becoming quite urgent, I need somehow to keep this little cat occupied and happy!

Do you think that getting a kitten would help with this behaviour? I love Radar but it was getting to a 'him or me' situation earlier today because I am not entertainment enough for him, and he is very boisterous.

So shall I try to find a new addition over the next few days? I can't get from a shelter (unless it's elderly and it wouldn't be fair to subject an elderly cat to Radar) because I don't have a garden, but what do you suggest about getting another cat without having a long wait? Phone round vets offices to see if they know of any 'ooops' kittens? Classified ads?

Obviously any new cat I brought home would be quarantined, vet checked, and tested before any interaction.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a cat tree with lots of things to play with? If not try that first.

Also why can't you adopt?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

Do you have a cat tree with lots of things to play with? If not try that first.

Also why can't you adopt?
We have 3 walls covered with ceiling-height bookcases with loads of shelves, which serves as a cat tree - he loves climbing all over it! It is higher and wider than any cat tree, he uses the tops as scratching posts (which is fine with us, he also has scratching posts and mats separate from the bookcases which he uses), he has hidey-holes, he has toys there to play with, he can leap from one bookcase to another - it's not a bought cat-tree, but it serves well as cat entertainment, and he uses it a lot!!

We live in the UK, and it's really difficult for people who want to keep cats indoors to adopt - here it's considered cruel to keep them indoors unless they are sick or elderly. The shelters local to us will only let us adopt elderly cats as indoor only - which is something I would not have a problem with at all, but Radar is so active that an elderly cat would get no peace at all and it really wouldn't be fair! (The little *&$£ has just leaped up and grabbed my arm again!
)

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
indoor cruel.. hm.. That's a cultural difference I wouldn't have guessed.

Yes then your best bet is to seek others just giving their cats away or are otherwise selling kittens right now. BTW puff does this to me too...lol. He grabbed my leg the other day and I screamed bloody murder at him. So I feel your pain...literally....

Another suggestion: Do you have a friend nearby that has cats? Perhaps a get together once a week to play would be in order. That way you do not have the responsibility of vet care for another animal but Radar is still playing with another cat and not your leg.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you end up getting another please let us know how it goes. My cat is also male and the same age and I am curious how he would respond to another cat/kitten. Although my kitty isn't quite as playful/active as yours.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

indoor cruel.. hm.. That's a cultural difference I wouldn't have guessed.

Yes then your best bet is to seek others just giving their cats away or are otherwise selling kittens right now. BTW puff does this to me too...lol. He grabbed my leg the other day and I screamed bloody murder at him. So I feel your pain...literally....

Another suggestion: Do you have a friend nearby that has cats? Perhaps a get together once a week to play would be in order. That way you do not have the responsibility of vet care for another animal but Radar is still playing with another cat and not your leg.
Yeah cultural difference - it is changing a little, but very slowly. Here cats have always been allowed outdoors, even my friends tell me that I'm being cruel by keeping Radar indoors, and these are people that know my love and care for animals is such that I would rather go hungry than see my furry/feathered friends go without! I don't think play sessions would work, as everyone I know lets their cats roam outside with the associated health risks, and many of them un-fixed, so that is not an option. Routine vet care is not a problem, and for emergencies there is insurance (which is good here) so I am not worried about the vet costs of getting another.

Originally Posted by meow meow

If you end up getting another please let us know how it goes. My cat is also male and the same age and I am curious how he would respond to another cat/kitten. Although my kitty isn't quite as playful/active as yours.
I will do! My cat is the most active energy-filled creature I have ever come across, any notion that cats sleep a lot is scotched by Radar! 9 Hours playing with him and still not tired (well I was, but he wasn't)!!! I think he will get on ok with another cat because any time I come home with other cat smells on me he rubs all over me and purrs, I don't think adding one will cause a problem with him, but it may solve my problem of simply not having enough energy to play with him every day for longer than I spend at work!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, the VAST majority of young cats really NEED to be around other cats and really develop much better with a buddy around. I'm an adoption counselor and I generally reccommend that people with one young cat adopt another if that's a possibility, although since Radar's been an only cat for a while the adjustment period might be kinda long. Leo took a few months before he was ok with Lola (RB) but then they came to be best friends and he was absolutely crushed when she passed away. Now, my cats couldn't be separated. They do really well with one another.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a cultural difference for sure (saying that if they aren't allowed outdoors it's cruel) the adoption agency we got Sydney from made us sign an adoption paper saying she would be strictly indoors.

Anyways....

Reilly was a single indoor cat for 6 years until Sydney came along. We got her in hopes of helping some of Reilly's behavioural issues (plus we wanted to add to our fur family) but we have found that it has really helped him. He seems so much more content and happy.

Of course not all cats will respond the same way but if you feel that another cat would be a good addition to your home than I can't see the harm

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Honestly, the VAST majority of young cats really NEED to be around other cats and really develop much better with a buddy around. I'm an adoption counselor and I generally reccommend that people with one young cat adopt another if that's a possibility, although since Radar's been an only cat for a while the adjustment period might be kinda long. Leo took a few months before he was ok with Lola (RB) but then they came to be best friends and he was absolutely crushed when she passed away. Now, my cats couldn't be separated. They do really well with one another.
I know that now but a bit late - when I got Radar I'd never had a cat before, but having learnt more about them I realise I should have brought home his brother as well
You live and learn

Originally Posted by Miss Mew

That is a cultural difference for sure (saying that if they aren't allowed outdoors it's cruel) the adoption agency we got Sydney from made us sign an adoption paper saying she would be strictly indoors.

Anyways....

Reilly was a single indoor cat for 6 years until Sydney came along. We got her in hopes of helping some of Reilly's behavioural issues (plus we wanted to add to our fur family) but we have found that it has really helped him. He seems so much more content and happy.

Of course not all cats will respond the same way but if you feel that another cat would be a good addition to your home than I can't see the harm
I wish I could get a cat from a shelter, I really do. My local charity shelter takes cats that have been indoor only and fosters them so they can be introduced to the outdoors (ie. roads, foxes, disease) before they put them up for adoption

I think it would be a good addition. Radar is outgoing, friendly, playful, and unafraid. He could do with a playmate, and we want another cat. We wanted to wait for a specific type of cat from a breeder, but really it's more urgent than that now because Radar needs mental stimulation more than we can give him.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the mean time, do you have a ceiling fan? Tie some toys on a string to the ceiling fan's blades and then turn it on low. It's an automatic rotating toy!

Or just get a pitching machine. It'll save you're arm

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know its urgent but I would take my time if I were you in selecting a cat whether pedigree or not. I would be very careful screening the ads in classifieds (again whether pedigree or non) and outright reject any "free to a good home" ads because these kitties could have all sorts of illnesses and genetic problems. There are cat shelters in the UK who allow in-door homes.

I would have a word with your friends about making judgments with Radar being indoors. Its your decision not theirs and besides not having a garden is a good enough reason not to let your kitty out.

Mine are indoor/outdoor neutered and up-to-date on vaccines. Plus I live in a quiet area but some people still choose to judge me. You are your cat's Mom and you know what is best for Radar.

Sorry for going off-topic!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sims2fan

I know its urgent but I would take my time if I were you in selecting a cat whether pedigree or not. I would be very careful screening the ads in classifieds (again whether pedigree or non) and outright reject any "free to a good home" ads because these kitties could have all sorts of illnesses and genetic problems. There are cat shelters in the UK who allow in-door homes.

I would have a word with your friends about making judgments with Radar being indoors. Its your decision not theirs and besides not having a garden is a good enough reason not to let your kitty out.

Mine are indoor/outdoor neutered and up-to-date on vaccines. Plus I live in a quiet area but some people still choose to judge me. You are your cat's Mom and you know what is best for Radar.

I generally agree with Sims2 on ads....when people place ads for kitties make sure to screen them very throughly. It's not a guaranteed "end of the world" situation to adopt from a newspaper or whatnot, but you still want to ask enough questions where you're sure of what you're getting. Baby kittens...they get sick. It's really common for them to get URI bugs or minor GI upset when they move in with you...that could happen even if you get a kitten from the best breeder or shelter in the world. Ya know, stress is stress. So I wouldn't be so obsessive about MINOR health bugs, but you DO want to spend enough time with the kitties to make sure there aren't any MAJOR health bugs that you're not willing or able to deal with for the life of the cat.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

In the mean time, do you have a ceiling fan? Tie some toys on a string to the ceiling fan's blades and then turn it on low. It's an automatic rotating toy!

Or just get a pitching machine. It'll save you're arm
LOL ceiling fans, I don't know anyone who has one, it's not that common here! I wouldn't get one anyway, fan+parrot=nasty accident waiting to happen
Pitching machine now that I could do with! He's now lost his last fur mouse and is in a really really grotty mood

Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I generally agree with Sims2 on ads....when people place ads for kitties make sure to screen them very throughly. It's not a guaranteed "end of the world" situation to adopt from a newspaper or whatnot, but you still want to ask enough questions where you're sure of what you're getting. Baby kittens...they get sick. It's really common for them to get URI bugs or minor GI upset when they move in with you...that could happen even if you get a kitten from the best breeder or shelter in the world. Ya know, stress is stress. So I wouldn't be so obsessive about MINOR health bugs, but you DO want to spend enough time with the kitties to make sure there aren't any MAJOR health bugs that you're not willing or able to deal with for the life of the cat.
I hear you! I got Radar through a classified ad though and he has never had a days illness in his life (fingers crossed!). I went to see him when he was with his mum, and he came from a lovely and busy family with lots of kids, dogs, etc. and they obviously cared a great deal about him and all the family was lovely and healthy and friendly and full of energy. I know the signs to look out for!

I did get quite depressed yesterday looking through ads though, people wanting £300 (nearly $600 USD) for kittens advertised as 'Bengal Cross' that sort of thing and not old enough to leave their mums even, other ads saying 'sold as seen, I am not responsible for any health issues after purchase'. I am screening out those sort of ads. It's not about the cost at all, but I would rather adopt someone's £50 'oops' kitten from an accidental mating and deal with the cost of any health issues than be part of what some unscrupulous person sees as a money-making opportunity selling overpriced crossbreeds (and then still have health issues to deal with). I wish I had a shelter nearby that would consider letting me adopt a youngster, but I have tried! I have also looked at ones further afield but I am outside of their catchment area for home visits, which they insist upon. I am not in an area that has many shelters, and the one down the road has said no to me having a younger cat (which would be most suitable for me given that I have a very energetic youngster and my aim is to get him a playmate).

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just can't believe they won't let you get a cat cause you'll keep him indoors. And they come to your home to check it out??!!! Unbelievable. Our shelter encourages indoor kitties, but they would still let you adopt if you were going to let him out. And what if you said you would let him outdoors. Would they come and take him away if you didn't let him out???

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am pretty sure that the shelter I have fostered from would let you keep a kitty indoors. How far are you from Richmond? Roughly where in London are you?

Let me look into to it and get back to you.

Check out this link:
http://www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk/adopt.asp

They would allow some one outside their area to adopt, I have texted to ask if they are fine with indoor only.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuzy

I just can't believe they won't let you get a cat cause you'll keep him indoors. And they come to your home to check it out??!!! Unbelievable. Our shelter encourages indoor kitties, but they would still let you adopt if you were going to let him out. And what if you said you would let him outdoors. Would they come and take him away if you didn't let him out???
What you have to understand is that keeping cats as indoor only pets is considered abnormal here! Any cat going into a shelter is likely to be used to going outdoors. I have spoken to my local shelter and they say "we do sometimes get cats which require indoor only homes. They may be elderly, blind, FIV+ or FeLV+ and you are welcome to adopt one of those from us" Which I may consider, if I didn't already have a young, boisterous, healthy kitten, and want a second young, boisterous, healthy kitten as a companion for him. Of course home visits are the norm, I am surprised that there are places where they don't check out the suitability of a home before letting you adopt

Also I couldn't say that I would let him outdoors, because when they did the home visit it would be pretty obvious that I live on the third floor, have no cat flap, and no garden, lying would not be an option

I am pretty sure that the shelter I have fostered from would let you keep a kitty indoors. How far are you from Richmond? Roughly where in London are you?

Let me look into to it and get back to you.

Check out this link:
http://www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk/adopt.asp

They would allow some one outside their area to adopt, I have texted to ask if they are fine with indoor only.
Oh thank you! I am pretty much as far away from Richmond as it is possible to get and still be in London unfortunately (practically in North Essex), but I can travel. And they will take a reference from a vet if I am outside of their area for home visits (which I almost certainly will be) which I should be able to get no problem, we have a good relationship with our vet. I am after a kitten, under a year old. Many thanks

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish you luck in your kitty search! I would just like to add that you might want to also consider exuberant "older" kitties. I've met several 1-3 year old cats that you honeslty wouldn't realize were that young. One only got very sturdy plastic toys as he ruined all other!

I hope you find the kitty you're looking for so we can see pics!

sidney109

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you not have free kittens there? They are EVERYWHERE here in the U.S. And I wouldn't hesitate to get one again. I took Stella (who was a barn kitten) and turned her into a indoor only cat. She is perfectly healthy and loves her new home. More importantly, Oliver is much happier!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I wish you luck in your kitty search! I would just like to add that you might want to also consider exuberant "older" kitties. I've met several 1-3 year old cats that you honeslty wouldn't realize were that young. One only got very sturdy plastic toys as he ruined all other!

I hope you find the kitty you're looking for so we can see pics!
Yeah- its not the age as such as finding a cat as 'active' as Radar...

I'd love a Ragdoll but Radar would just bully it so badly that I agree with Epona that we need a young kittie able to stick up for itself...

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sidney109

Do you not have free kittens there? They are EVERYWHERE here in the U.S. And I wouldn't hesitate to get one again. I took Stella (who was a barn kitten) and turned her into a indoor only cat. She is perfectly healthy and loves her new home. More importantly, Oliver is much happier!
It's out of season at the moment, sure come summer it is the case that you can pick up kittens cheap or free, but this time of year even accidental kittens are pricey!

But I have to point out that COST IS NOT AN ISSUE AT ALL - the main issue is that I really really want an oriental kitten - My parents and Nate have promised me the adoption fee for an oriental as my Xmas present!!! The problem is that Radar would like some company now, and for orientals there are planned matings with waiting lists!

I was worried about Radar but I think his routine was just disrupted by the fact that I've been off work for a week, and he was trying to play as much as possible because me being around all day was new to him - today he was obviously tuckered out and spent the afternoon sleeping happily as usual
So I think I was worrying over nothing really
as today he has been back to his usual routine, still boisterous, but at least having his afternoon nap which gives me a bit of a break

So I think I will hold out for the cat I really want - we are limited in the number of cats we can have due to space, and I do really want my oriental. Radar has settled down fine today, he's having a fine old time playing with a feather/wand toy at the moment and not attacking me and has slept like he used to do, so I think he will be OK for another couple of months as long as we do our best to keep him busy