Does anyone know Greek foods well?

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the most delicious little things yesterday..... they are these little greek wrap things. Inside is white rice, and it looks like they are grape leaves wrapping the rice in these little mini wraps you eat with a toothpick. And they seem to be marinated in an olive oil, and a balsamic vinegar or such.... anywho, I LOVED them, they are SO GOOD, and I don't know what they are called. I was going to ask my guy I get my coffee from everyday, he is from Greece, but he is out today....

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is exactly them Natalie! They were SO good! They were nice & salty!
I coulda sat & ate every single one of them!!!
Although, I don't think I'll ever be able to pronounce their name!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We just call them stuffed grape leaves and leave em at that! I love most Greek food, but thoes are one I pass! My mother loves them!

Whenever I go home, I visit a local Greek restaurant. The food is just so good! But I always end up having the same thing. I just can't get enough of it! I've not yet found an authentic Greek restuaruant within 50 miles of where I live. It's so depressing! According to my figuring I'm about 1/16th Greek, from my Grandmother's father's side. Wish he had passed down some recipies.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jim is Greek so I am always around Greek food. Stuffed grape leaves are one of my all time favorites. I have my fridge stuffed FULL of all kinds of Greek food is SIL brought over for Jim to have Greek food, since she thinks Im not capable of making it myself. Think on Jenny and keep bringing us more food!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Jim is Greek so I am always around Greek food. Stuffed grape leaves are one of my all time favorites. I have my fridge stuffed FULL of all kinds of Greek food is SIL brought over for Jim to have Greek food, since she thinks Im not capable of making it myself. Think on Jenny and keep bringing us more food!
Can I come over!?!
I don't want all that food to go to waste on you now....

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Can I come over!?!
I don't want all that food to go to waste on you now....
Please Come!!! She brought us so much (and always does) there is no way to eat it all.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I LOVE Greek food!!!
There's this amazing Greek resturant in downtown Memphis not too far from Beale street that I love to eat at!!!They have an AMAZING lamb dish this is soooooooo good!!!

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Please Come!!! She brought us so much (and always does) there is no way to eat it all.
What?!? A greek woman dishing out more food than you can possibly eat?!? NEVER! LMAO!!!!
My boyfriend's yiayia (grandma) has actually said to me "eat, eat, you don't eat nothing!" WHILE I WAS CHEWING. Like, this is me eating, okay? How can I be eating nothing while I'm in the process of chewing a mouthful or food???

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

What?!? A greek woman dishing out more food than you can possibly eat?!? NEVER! LMAO!!!!
My boyfriend's yiayia (grandma) has actually said to me "eat, eat, you don't eat nothing!" WHILE I WAS CHEWING. Like, this is me eating, okay? How can I be eating nothing while I'm in the process of chewing a mouthful or food???
That sounds so familiar
Ive been in that same EXACT situation, many times!!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well Im having homemade Pastitsio, homemade Tryropita and homemade Spanakoptia right now for anyone who wants to join me.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby is Greek, he calls the stuffed vine leaves Dolmas. My favourite food is Spanakopita, spinach pie, but it has to come from a certain greek bakery in Montreal they make it the best.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We call them dolmades, I wish I had some having read this thread! And I agree with the above post, spanakopita is lovely! I'm a big fan of Greek food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

Honey, the Italians I'm married to are the same way!!!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know nothing about Greek foods, or really any other kind of foods.

I do not like to try anything new.

I just like the same old foods all the time. Neet can verify that.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I love spanokopita too. Not much for the grape leaves, but I think you can buy them at World Market in jars????