henna?

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have henna tattoos? I like tattoos but i don't like the permanency of it all and someone suggested henna tattoos.

If s, do you get it done? Do it yourself? Where do you buy the stuff?

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Henna tattoos are very cool. I understand that the black ones are not completely safe, though. I would try a New Age store, either in person or online.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my friends is from Pakistan and she always gets henna tattoos. She lovse them. I haven't really talked to her about it, but I think she and her sisters and cousins do them on each other.

They don't last very long. But you might want to try it out for yourself and see. It's just basically skin dye.

http://www.hennapage.com/

http://www.earthhenna.com/

As for where to go and get one? I'd think a tattoo parlour would be able to either do it for you or point you to a place where you can get them. Some day spas or beauty schools may even offer the service.

If you want to make your own henna, here is a site that has a recipe and all kinds of information.

http://www.mehndiskinart.com/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I have seen 2 of those sites but not the 3rd. I want to do it myself since they don't last long. I don't really have the time to run around and go places every couple of weeks.

I guess I have a lot of reading to do and trying to figure it out

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
When I hosted a sleepover party with six teenage girls, we did henna on wrists and ankles and the mothers were not TOO upset that I aided and abetted this behavior. it wore off in a few weeks. I bough a package w instructions and it was lovely.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had several Henna tattoos before and loved them! I used to have a ton of friends from India (they moved back right before the Tsunami
i haven't heard from some since it happened.). They had the stuff to do them at home- so we'd do manicures/pedicures and Henna tattoos- it was a lot of fun!
Since they did them at their house- i'm really not sure where else you'd go to get them. I know some state fairs have them- and if you take a kit into a tattoo parlor- they will often do them for you at little cost. So you might try those. The ones my friends and I did lasted for a while before they wore off. I liked the Henna tattoos because they pretty and I didn't want a permanent one

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
what do you mean got messy after a while? storing it?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine were never messy- but I had people who had done them for years do mine though...if you do get a kit though- it's probably a better idea to let someone at your local tattoo parlor put it on you to avoid the mess
I probably would have messed mine up if i did it myself and didn't have my friend do it for me

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we posted at the same time starry

I'm sorry about your friends

That's why i want henna because i don't want anything permanent and i'm a wussy. I know i would change my mind of what the tattoo is and where it is, etc...Did they make their own stencils or freehand it or what? I'd rather do it myself because i don't really have much time to get it done somewhere but i think i'll try for a few times to see how they do it and stuff.

i'm going to call a few places and hopefully not get laughed at ..lol

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosey

we posted at the same time starry

I'm sorry about your friends

That's why i want henna because i don't want anything permanent and i'm a wussy. I know i would change my mind of what the tattoo is and where it is, etc...Did they make their own stencils or freehand it or what? I'd rather do it myself because i don't really have much time to get it done somewhere but i think i'll try for a few times to see how they do it and stuff.

i'm going to call a few places and hopefully not get laughed at ..lol
Thankyou- i still wonder about them- I tried to get in touch with them for months after the Tsunami hit, but was never able to- so i really don't know if they're ok or not. I hope they are. / I definitely agree with you about not wanting a permanent tattoo- i would never get one
I'd change my mind a week later and want something different....that and the needle factor have me out on those. I'd rather have a piercing or two that I can eventually take out (i took my nose stud out a while ago- colin hated it
but everyone else loved it) I still have my bellybutton and ears pierced though. i won't budge on those
/ I loved the Henna tattoos because they're gorgeous- and they temporary!! My friends did mine freehand- but keep in mind- they were raised in that culture and had done them for years- so they were really good at them. If you're pretty artistic and have a steady hand- it might not hurt to try it yourself- but if you can't seem to get the hang of it- ask your local tattoo parlor if they'd do it for you- they won't laugh at you

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosey

what do you mean got messy after a while? storing it?
No just putting it on. Hard to put it on your hand and keep within the lines. Plus I'm impatient and kept wiping it off before I should.

I'm sure if you have someone else do it or you get a better quality materials it might not be as messy.