Cat I am looking into adopting

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been looking into breed rescues lately. I came across a beautiful senior needing a home. He is 11 years old and was surrendered due to families change in lifestyle
. I wanted to adopt some thing a little younger, but due to his age I worry no one will give a secound glance at him, he is such a beauty!
I emailed the rescue and I am waiting to hear back, it's only been a day or two so I will wait until after the holidays and if I haven't heard back I will try emailing again. I am so anxious to hear back from them and see if he will be a match for me and my family!
(Any one know what breed he is. LOL!)
This is him, his name is casual (cazh) a cream tabby

I do worry I won't be able to, I have 4 cats already, and the kitten is a frisky little twit, all of the others are pretty calm and laid back (ragdolls) they wouldn't bother him, any one think with his age and having such a young kitten that it might not be a good idea, or should I try and adopt him?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Profile, ears and body type looks orientalish/siamese to me!! But, a bit short on all counts!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mitten (my first cat) was about 9/10 yrs old when I got my Russian Blue kitten. He was very laid back and accepted the kitten fine - even mothered Kisa's kittens a year or two later

You kitty looks a bit like it has a lot of oriental type which they stay active for many years. My rex still ran around at times when 14 yrs old
So don't underestimate that the 11 yr old will not be able to tolerate the young kitten. You might be surprised

If he's healthy he still has 5 or so more years in him. Give him a home. I'm sure he will do fine.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
celestialrags, how handsome he is! He really does have that Oriental profile. I hope you are able to get him. He kind of reminds me of my bluepoint kitty when she was thinner. If they provided you with anymore pics, please share.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was kind of joking when I asked what breed he is, I went to breed rescues to find him. So I knew, i wanted to see if any one else would, I thought GK45 would have known immediately, but the picture isn't the best and it is of his profile.
He is a cornish Rex

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was not awake
But looking at the picture close again, I can see a bit of waves down the back - shadow hid them.

Rexes/orientals have that same body type. Besides he's NOT as curly as my Spooky was so it was not noticable at first.

Take him - believe me he will be fine - 11 is just mid age for rexes - they will still act like kittens.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

I was kind of joking when I asked what breed he is, I went to breed rescues to find him. So I knew, i wanted to see if any one else would, I thought GK45 would have known immediately, but the picture isn't the best and it is of his profile.
He is a cornish Rex
Tricky, tricky.
I'll have to look at some pics of a Cornish Rex. I don't think I'd be able to identify one if it was in my livingroom. However if that is their standard 'look', I think they just might have another fan.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did some Google searching for pics of Cornish Rexes. Their look seem to vary greatly. I'm guessing the commonality is the fur texture. Kind of looks as though they vary from more moderate look to a more stealth long kind of look. Although, because I'm totally ignorant to the breed, I could be totally off the mark. Obviously I've never seen one in person. Are they common at cat shows? I'd love to see one in person.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How exciting for you! I would say that the new cat would probably fit in just fine. If he wants to sleep all the time he will probably find a nice spot and do that or even run around with the kitten. I adopted a mixed breed 14 year old cat 3 years ago and she still knocks Elsa around the house a few times a week.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kandie was 16 when ZOey came at 8 months ... so it can be done

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by siameseohio

Tricky, tricky.
I'll have to look at some pics of a Cornish Rex. I don't think I'd be able to identify one if it was in my livingroom. However if that is their standard 'look', I think they just might have another fan.
I can't believe I forgot I had this picture
It is a stunning example of the breed! He is a wonderful calico (G?)champion. He is one of the most beautiful cats I have EVER seen. I don't prefer calicos and have never had one, but I would love having this gorgeous boy!

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you celestialrags for the pic. He is handsome! I can see where someone could initially see Oriental, but at a closer glance, they definately have their own look.

I'm surprised to see a Calico boy.
I thought they were almost always females.

I'm corresponding by email with the contact person for the TICA show coming to Ohio. There are several breeds I'm hoping will be there. Hopefully there will be a Cornish Rex and an owner will let me pet it. GK has shared just how unique their coats feel.

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sheba was 13 when I got 6 month old Gypsy and almost 16 when I got 6 week old Gracie. She bullied them around more than they bothered her.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by siameseohio

Thank you celestialrags for the pic. He is handsome! I can see where someone could initially see Oriental, but at a closer glance, they definately have their own look.

I'm surprised to see a Calico boy.
I thought they were almost always females.

I'm corresponding by email with the contact person for the TICA show coming to Ohio. There are several breeds I'm hoping will be there. Hopefully there will be a Cornish Rex and an owner will let me pet it. GK has shared just how unique their coats feel.
Most ARE females, Male calico's are very rare, he is an even rarer boy because he is also fertile, most males are sterile. At the time of the picture he was the only one (mabey only male calico rex, there could be other breeds ect that has one) registered. GK knows more about him then I do, I lost the web site I found him on so I have is the picture, but she has accually seen him at a cat show, one thread we were both talking about this amazing M calico rex, so when I posted his pic (I can't remember where I found it now) we realized it was the same one (since they are so rare, we were pretty sure we had seen the same one, sure enough it was
She also (GK) said he was tested for which color he would produce and It was either black or red most calicos carry both, and he was one or the other I think, like he only produced red, GK will hope fully correct where I am wrong

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cata_mint

I knew it was a rex but didn't comment earlier as I thought GK45 was joking when she said oriental
You are one of the ones who have one arn't you?
I was very surprised GK45 sais oriental too, they do have that look to them and I am not surprised any one else thought that. You really can't see the wavy coat to him much and I am sure he isn't a good example of the standards (I am not very familiar with their standards as far as showing, breeding, ect, I want to have one as a pet, and not for showing/breeding. I raise ragdolls, and know their standards.
I almost suggested to GK to get another cup of coffee wake up a little and get a better look,
I am sure she would have known if it was a better pic, or she give a closer look (I know gk knows her stuff, not to mention bred rex's so I know she knows very well how they look, she probley wasn't expecting to see some one getting one, they aren't the most well known or popular cat, LOL!) I wanted to wait and get more responses before I revealed his accual breed, but I was too excited that I may beable to get him that I couldn't wait to tell every body what he is! (I still haven't heard back from the rescue, mabey they aren't interested in me adopting him, since I breed cats, mabey? Even though he is 11 and neutered so he will never beable to breed of coarse, but mabey they look down at me because I breed ragdolls? Or mabey they think I have too many cats? or some thing? I will be disapointed if I am turned down, especially for one of those reasons, but I will move on and just know that they know him, so they know what's best for him, and they are going to do what they think is best for him. I will just look to find another older rex I can give a home to, I want the ones that no one else usually wants, LOL! the ugly ones, or the sick ones, or the 3 legged ones, ect. I have never been one to go to the shelter and get a cute little puppy that would have 10 homes if I didn't take him. I go for the old one in the corner no one else would give a chance (except others that are like me and feel the same way. I take the one that's times almost up for that doesn't have another chance. That's just me though, (and probley 70% of the people on this site too) cute kittens and young adults get the homes quicker, that's why I want him so much, how many people are going to adopt an 11 year old cat? (I don't mean on this site, or any of you guys, I am talking about in general) My DH even asked why I wanted an old half dead cat, and I said they all need a home, whether they are 11 weeks 11 months or 11 years, and thats the one I want, and if they decide I will be a good home, I am going to some how get to connetecut (live in maine) and get him!

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh, I am sending you get the Cornie vibes. I absolutely love Cornish Rexes being owned by two of them myself. Mine are absolute snuggle buns due to thier only having the down coat. Here is a picture of one of my boys. I have to get the other ones picture in Photobucket before I can show him.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
celestialrags,

I really hope that they allow you to bring him home. He would be very fortunate to be with you. I wish they could read your sentiment about him. How awful if they are looking at you as not a good option because you are a breeder. It is obvious that your heart is totally in the right place.