Scottish fold/unfold

nightwish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am just curious my little boy Kami is a Scottish fold/unfold. As when we saw him a five days before we picked him up his ears were folded when we went to pick him up his ears were straightened. The breeder said it was the hot weather and they should fold again. Since we picked him up we have had 4 days of nice weather that was not to hot and his ears are still up.

Whatever his ears do I don't mind as he is the most adorable little kitten, but was wondering if any Scottish fold breeders have heard about the hot weather straightening the ears.

Marianne

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nightwish

I am just curious my little boy Kami is a Scottish fold/unfold. As when we saw him a five days before we picked him up his ears were folded when we went to pick him up his ears were straightened. The breeder said it was the hot weather and they should fold again. Since we picked him up we have had 4 days of nice weather that was not to hot and his ears are still up.

Whatever his ears do I don't mind as he is the most adorable little kitten, but was wondering if any Scottish fold breeders have heard about the hot weather straightening the ears.

Marianne
I have never heard that my self. I am pretty sure that most litters are concieved by a fold and a straight eared and will produce 50/50 fold/straight. I don't know why his ears were folded and now are straight but he is beautiful even if his ears don't fold.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nightwish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply celestialrags. I suppose time will tell, but no matter what he's my gorgeous, special little kitty.

Marianne

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

I have never heard that my self. I am pretty sure that most litters are concieved by a fold and a straight eared and will produce 50/50 fold/straight. I don't know why his ears were folded and now are straight but he is beautiful even if his ears don't fold.
I've never heard of Scottish fold's ear unfolding (try saying that 3 times quickly!
) but I do know it happens to American Curls!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is a cute and sweet looking kitten with or without the folded ears.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an unfolded Scottish Fold, she looks very much like your kitten!

There are degrees of folding in the ears, and it may be that they will just be slightly curled downwards on the ends. I don't know if weather affects it or not (I wouldn't think so, but it might be possible). How old was she when you brought her home? They look slightly curved down to me...

Here is Sneakers, my cat. She's only five pounds at almost three years old.
I guess she was the runt!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking, I don't believe the heat has any thing to do with his ears folding/unfolding, or any thing else. I wonder if the kitten you saw 5 days brfore picking up your kitten, with the folded ears was a different kitten then you have? Mabey she just showed you the wrong kitten or gave you the wrong kitten and said that about the heat. Mabey a mistake was made and she sold some one else the kitten with the folded ears so she gave you a diffrent one? I can't imagine them being folded when you saw him, and now they aren't, I really can't imagine the heat making them unfold and that they will fold again. But, I don't know much to nothing about folds, except that they are really cool, I have always thought it would be neat to have one, other then that I don't know too much.
I do know a ragdoll breeder (respectable one too, one of my mentors even) she made a mistake when a person came to get one of her kittens. While they were talking and the people were getting ready to leave she scooped up the kitten and put it in her carrier. They left with the kitten a lilac female. When they got home and let her out she looked blue so they looked her over real good only to find that her lilac female was a blue male. It really was a mistake, but it was 2 really big mistakes. So the breeder said to nring him back and take the other. The lady (who's daughter bought two littens from me) decided to since the breeder made a mistake like that and the kitten was really scared and unfriendly not to trade, she returned him and got her money back, and came and seen me (her daughters are so loveable and friendly, so she knew how my kittens personalities are) she even ended up getting 2 from me, so between her and her daughter they have 4 and love their wonderful personalities. I did tell the lady that the breeder is very good and it was a mistake, but I was happy to have my 2 kittens go to her, she is a very nice woman.
Any way, because of that I thought I would throw that suggetion out there. It does happen, so mabey she made a mistake and gave you the wrong one

nightwish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We saw the kitten at about 11 weeks old and thats when they where folded. The only other kitten she had was a bi coloured one with straight ears. When we went to pick him up at 12 weeks his ears wear straight she still had the bi coloured kitten. So no mistakes where made in giving the wrong kitten.

He looked cute with his ears folded but he looks just as cute with his ears up.
If I bought him just for the ears I would be concerned but I wanted a fold for the personalities they have, so either way I'm happy with him. I was just curious about what might happen to his ears. Thanks so much for all your replies.
He's my beautiful little kitten and he is soo loved.

Godiva if my cat grows up to look as lovely as Sneakers I will be very happy that is one gorgeous, pretty and lovely looking cat.

Marianne

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well good to know that a mistake wasn't made, just a suggestion I thought I would mention, you never know, if they were all the same color it could have happened, mabey.I wasn't sure of the color of the litter. Ragdolls are all born white and develope their points later. So even though we ragdoll meowmys knew the differece between even the closest looking kittens, at a glance or some thing a mistake could happen. I had a litter of 5 blue point girls and they looked very simuliar, I could tell them apart, but evey once in a while one would jump up on me and I would first think it was a different one and I had to look at another one to be sure I was right

Your kitty is beautiful with or without the folded ears!
I just found a couple pictures of my last litter when they were babies, you can see how close in colors they look
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...kittens110.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...s/411cb454.jpg The colors of these 2 are a little different, one is chocolate mitted the other is seal mitted. but any way, you get the idea I am trying to make, I hope, LOL!

nightwish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Celestialrags your Ragdoll kittens are so cute and beautiful and they do look very close in colour. Bet you are a very proud Mum everytime you get new babbies.

It is easy to make a mistake as the breeder did give me the wrong vaccination records. She was showing us the name that the people picked out for my Kami's brother and in the end thats the one I got instead of Kami's records.

Marianne

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the 80's and 90's I had 3 scottish folds. One was a real tight double fold, One was a straight ear, and the last was a folded eared girl but she wasn't a tight fold.

They are such sweet little cats. I wish I had a scanner right now to copy their photos on computer....

Your kitty is very pretty and will give you lots of love for many years!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

Oooh! Oooh!

The one on the left is the seal point, right!?!
Yeah, The one on the left is seal. I kind of wrote it backwards in the post, did I
I have better pics I hope, I am waiting to get them developed, I will have to post them, I was supposed to in that siamese thread, but I still haven't had them developed yet.

OP, I guess no one knows about heat causing the ears to change, although I wouldn't think so, but no one has said for fact that it can't be. He is so cute any way, so his ears don't matter, he couldn't be any cuter

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought I remember reading somewhere that Scottish fold kittens will have their ears go up and down during the first few months, and then by a few months old they adjust to whatever they will be as adults. I can't seem to fid the reference right now though.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing that my breeder told me about the ears straightening was that they could when the female went into heat.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

I've never heard of Scottish fold's ear unfolding (try saying that 3 times quickly!
) but I do know it happens to American Curls!
Yes, American Curls can start off rather tightly curled and then loosen, but you'd not see something so dramatic as curled one day, and not 4 days later. The most extreme you would see is if one ear developed a vertical crimp which can pop the ear curl up from a tight curl to a loose one...but that ear would still be curled.

No curl eared curl can go to being a straight ear - either the cat has the thicker ear cartilage for part of the ear and some shape change, or it has straight, soft from base to tip, ears.

memo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I breed the Scottish fold , the degree of fold change at 11 or 12 weeks some become full fold (triple fold ) some change to (double fold) and other change to single fold and this look like straight ear you can't notice the fold

dolce gatto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Marianne
So say many of the breeders, unfortunately. But this is not true. Hot weather does not affect the perfect ears! This is due to genetics. Therefore, in this breed breeder must maintain a strict selection! Perfect ears with age become even better! With your permission, I want to give you an example on my cat, who was born in my cattery.

Dolce Gatto All-Inclusive (Scottish Fold male, n 22 03) In process of growing up:

So, I think that based on the qualities breed, the breeder must honestly determine the class of a kitten! And to tell the truth to the buyer. However, your cat is very beautiful, and most importantly - the most favorite for you!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dolce Gatto All-Inclusive (Scottish Fold male, n 22 03) In process of growing up:

So, I think that based on the qualities breed, the breeder must honestly determine the class of a kitten! And to tell the truth to the buyer. However, your cat is very beautiful, and most importantly - the most favorite for you!
What a cute kitty! These are triple folded ears, right? I have a pet quality foldie with double fold. This is my Tomu (Anthea Tomu Of NorthernGlow, male neuter, ns 24)

I see the original topic is ooold, but do agree with Dolce Gatto. Temperatures aren't supposed to affect Scottish Fold's ears. Illness or pregnancy can unfold them to some degree, but I've never seen that happen.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  ^   These cats are gorgeous.

lt's interesting that you guys would mention this, as l've seen it happen to an online friend's kitten.

The breeder l'm getting my kitten from, on their first litter, had four kittens. At 5 weeks old, she videotaped them and put it online. All four kittens had folded ears.

When my friend picked up his cat at 3 months old, the ears weren't as tightly folded as they had been but rather pointed straight forward - it was really, really cute. And the last picture l saw of the kitten (now almost a year old), it looked almost like a Scottish Straight. The ears are a wee bit flattened out to the sides rather than straight up, but someone not knowing it was a Fold probably wouldn't be able to tell.

Now, the kitten in my avatar is from the second litter of the same parent-pairing. Already l can see that his ears are a little "crinked" so l'm assuming they too will unfold somewhat. The dam in this case is a British Shorthair silver tabby, and the sire is a blue double Fold.

Maybe that's why the Straights need a genetic test done before breeding. Perhaps some of them still carry the Fold gene although they appear Straight. l'm guessing, of course - l'm not a breeder. But it's very interesting.