pregnant stray, pls help!

danerescue6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently had a pregnant female cat wonder up to my house. I have had cats in the past and have plenty of animal experience but not with pregnancy. My pets have always been spayed/neutered. I have no clue where to even start with this litter. She is approx. due in 3-4 weeks. She was thin when I got her a week ago but has quickly put on the pounds. She is eating Felidae, canned cat food and tuna. She was really sweet when she first arrived but has gradually gotten more "frisky" If you pet her too long she will hiss, and try to bite or scratch. So needless to say, I am a little fearfull of her. She is currently in my basement. I have 9 month old twin daughters and her temperment is too "iffy" to have around them. I have 4 dogs as well, 1 Great Dane and 3 mixed breeds. Can anyone offer advice on what the next step should be and where to start??
Thanks!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the new kitty...you are wonderful to take her in! It is a great idea to give her a separate area...she may get very fierce if she feels the kittens are threatened....so keeping her away from the dogs and babies is good.

I would start changing her to kitten food...she needs the extra calories for now and while nursing the kittens. A vet check would be a good idea...vaccinations should wait until the kittens wean, but she can be wormed and treated for fleas if necessary. The vet will be able to tell you safe methods. And read read read here at TCS...you will learn SO MUCH!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is going to stay in your basement, make sure you have a dark area or two with blankets. I would pick a few spots cause they might not like the areas you pick. Make sure it is quiet too. You could lay some towels down too. It can be messy and she might want to wrap the babies in the towel. Molly did this a few days after having her litter when she was ready to come down and eat on her own.

The birthing is very interesting. If you are there for it, make sure she cleans their face off. They come out with a googy sack. If she doesn't clean the kitty using a cloth. Don't touch the babies. You will also see her tummy move in waves. just before she delivers. Good Luck!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by danerescue6

I recently had a pregnant female cat wonder up to my house. I have had cats in the past and have plenty of animal experience but not with pregnancy. My pets have always been spayed/neutered. I have no clue where to even start with this litter. She is approx. due in 3-4 weeks. She was thin when I got her a week ago but has quickly put on the pounds. She is eating Felidae, canned cat food and tuna. She was really sweet when she first arrived but has gradually gotten more "frisky" If you pet her too long she will hiss, and try to bite or scratch. So needless to say, I am a little fearfull of her. She is currently in my basement. I have 9 month old twin daughters and her temperment is too "iffy" to have around them. I have 4 dogs as well, 1 Great Dane and 3 mixed breeds. Can anyone offer advice on what the next step should be and where to start??
Thanks!
I think you have received some wonderful advice....just remember to keep her and her kittens secure at all times with no access outdoors. I would recommend that once she has her kittens, you should plan to have her spayed once the kittens reach the age of 10-12 weeks of age.

Katie

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was wonderful of you to take this girl in!
Try not to be too fearful of her. She's probably not very comfortable now that she's so heavily pregnant. Limit her petting sessions. Try to stop if you see she is starting to get overstimulated (dilating pupils, or whatever sign she gives). Obviously you should keep the twins and the dogs away from her for all of their sakes. She's probably getting pretty anxious about the upcoming birth. Like other posters have said, have some potential birthing sites for her. You can use either boxes lined with towels (initial birth will be messy!) or maybe even rubbermaid tubs (the sides not too high so momma can easily jump in and out) with towels inside.

Try not to get too caught up right now on how her personality will be later, and what will happen. Like any pregnant girl, her personality will change drastically and often
. Later, after she has her babies, and she's been spayed, only then can her true personality be judged. In the meantime, enjoy the new babies to come!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danerescue6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the advice! I am thinking of moving her into my daughter's room within the next week (it is unfinished so the twins wont be in there, it's more secure, and quieter) My basement is more like a cellar, concrete floors and walls. And it is a little cool down there and too many places for kittens to get in trouble! I have witnessed a dog birth (my Great Dane) so I know how messy it can be, for dogs anyways. I do have a box lined with blankets in my daughter's closet for when (or if) we decide to move her up there. I have noticed that she is starting to meow alot more then she did before and for longer times. Is this a sign of anything?
I havent taken her to the vet but I did have a fecal done and it was clear and she didnt appear to have any fleas. They said I could use advantage on her just in case and I gave her half of the dose.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks so much for the advice! I am thinking of moving her into my daughter's room within the next week (it is unfinished so the twins wont be in there, it's more secure, and quieter) My basement is more like a cellar, concrete floors and walls. And it is a little cool down there and too many places for kittens to get in trouble! I have witnessed a dog birth (my Great Dane) so I know how messy it can be, for dogs anyways. I do have a box lined with blankets in my daughter's closet for when (or if) we decide to move her up there. I have noticed that she is starting to meow alot more then she did before and for longer times. Is this a sign of anything?
I havent taken her to the vet but I did have a fecal done and it was clear and she didnt appear to have any fleas. They said I could use advantage on her just in case and I gave her half of the dose.
I've seen several suggestions of towels as bedding...I learned here at TCS that kitten claws can get caught in the loops of the towels, so if you use towels, put them in a pillowcase. Old sheets, old flannel fabric, and newspapers are other good choices. The initial bedding is often quite messy, and will be thrown away.

Moving her to a bedroom by herself is a great idea...

danerescue6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well she is still in the basement and starting to cry a lot and also nesting so I guess the birth are sooner than I thought. We are moving her upstairs tomorrow. Hopefully labor and delivery will go smoothly and I am able find all the kittens and mama a great home!

straykat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you will do fine, I know that you are a GREAT rescue mom

Post as soon as the babies are born, And I like the new plans for the mom with the X pen

minuets_mum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Newspapers are great for the initial birth due to the blood and gunk, Moma cat will eat the sacks from the kittens, the first time I saw that I freaked out! If you have an extra laundry basket those are great for keeping moma and babies in after she has delivered. Good luck and be sure to post pics when you can!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minuets_Mum

Newspapers are great for the initial birth due to the blood and gunk, Moma cat will eat the sacks from the kittens, the first time I saw that I freaked out! If you have an extra laundry basket those are great for keeping moma and babies in after she has delivered. Good luck and be sure to post pics when you can!
Actually, we don't recommend using newspaper unless it is stuffed inside a pillow case..the reason is that the paper can stick to the kittens or to mom..whereas, if it is enclosed in a pillowcase, it cannot stick to them, nor can it leave any ink on them from the paper.

Katie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minuets_Mum

Learn something new every day, thank you!
Welcome....I learn something new everyday as well.
BTW...that piece of advice was from our moderator Gaye.

Katie

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So how's she doing now? I can think of one other piece of advice is be sure they stay warm. My pregnant stray gave birth in March in the middle of the night and the kittens were fairly chilly when I found them. So the bedroom would definitely be a good idea, as opposed to the cellar.

Also - the mama meowing may just be a way for her to sort of use "sonar" to tell her more about the house (I've had cats do that), or she may be just a talkative girl. If she lets you pet her she must be pretty tame. I hope everything goes well.

danerescue6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well we have a change in plans...My Dh has been on vacation since last Friday and has worked really hard and the girls' room will be done by next weekend so the cat cant go upstairs b/c my girls' need the room ASAP. We have decided to keep her in the basement. Under our kitchen we have a room that we are going to Xpen off and make that her area. It is big enough for her and her kittens.
How should I go about finding her and the kittens homes? I have asked everyone I know and I might have 1 maybe 2 kittens placed already but the others, I am not so sure about. I really dont want to run an ad in the paper b/c I dont want strangers in my house. I have been thinking that I will try to find homes for the mama and her babies until they are around 10-12 weeks old and then take them to the local animal shelter.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How should I go about finding her and the kittens homes? I have asked everyone I know and I might have 1 maybe 2 kittens placed already but the others, I am not so sure about. I really dont want to run an ad in the paper b/c I dont want strangers in my house. I have been thinking that I will try to find homes for the mama and her babies until they are around 10-12 weeks old and then take them to the local animal shelter.
What I recommend is to contact local rescue groups and explain that you would be willing to foster this mom and her kittens until they are adopted if the rescue group would be willing to spay/neuter the kittens and mom and place them into good homes. The rescue group will be able to interview appropriate applicants (they may even want the kittens to be shown at an adoption event) and they will ensure that the kittens will never end up at a shelter. I do recommend that if you can get these kittens fixed before they go into homes..that is best..which is why it is great to work with a rescue group.

Katie

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are so good in taking in this stray cat, good luck and I do hope that everything goes ok for you.

Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for rescuing the pregnant mama kitty! You are a true guardian angel

Sounds like you have your hands full, with 9mo old twins, dogs, remodeling, etc. And yet you find the time to help a cat
AND are doing research on proper home-finding
My hat's off to you!

danerescue6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I have had her for a month now and no sign of labor. I thought she was getting close b/c she stopped eating her canned food but is eating it all again. She still looks very pregnant and this waiting around is killing me! We set her up a nice place in our basement, but she doesnt like it. She literally climbs the walls and escapes. I think I know the spot that she has chosen and if I am correct, it is going to be very difficult to move them. In my basement it has a ledge all around the top and I believe that is where she will deliver and I am afraid they will fall off and get killed. Should we move them right way to avoid this? I'm afraid if I move them too soon, she will just move them again herself.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Well I have had her for a month now and no sign of labor. I thought she was getting close b/c she stopped eating her canned food but is eating it all again. She still looks very pregnant and this waiting around is killing me! We set her up a nice place in our basement, but she doesnt like it. She literally climbs the walls and escapes. I think I know the spot that she has chosen and if I am correct, it is going to be very difficult to move them. In my basement it has a ledge all around the top and I believe that is where she will deliver and I am afraid they will fall off and get killed. Should we move them right way to avoid this? I'm afraid if I move them too soon, she will just move them again herself.
Sometimes when space is limited...it is better to set up a cat in a large dog carrier then risk her having her babies in an unsafe location. The other concern I have is once she has her kittens, what prevents her from trying to escape back outdoors. Can you get a hold of a large dog crate and set her up with food/water/litter and a birthing box? Are you certain of the due date??

Katie