Frustrated Feral

jaztile

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male feral at night he tear apart the cardboard box in his room is the any thing i can do? We have 2 female sister of his that are just lovable and one brother. I can handle him but he seem angry any suggestion would be appreciated

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The cardboax box - is it for him to have somewhere to hide? Apparently he doesnt see it as his hiding place...

Does he have somewhere to scratch? To scratch is almost as important as eat.

He has perhaps too much energy and must relive it somewhere? Most homecats have their cat-races...
Could you try with a laser-pointer? Homecats usually loves to chase it, perhaps also this semiferal will.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaztile

I have a male feral at night he tear apart the cardboard box in his room is the any thing i can do? We have 2 female sister of his that are just lovable and one brother. I can handle him but he seem angry any suggestion would be appreciated
Jaztile....are they all fixed??? I would first have them all spayed/neutered if they have not been fixed yet.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaztile

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have another male that is from the same litter that has taken residence under our bed should we force him out of our room to get use to the rest of the house. he does come out at night. He is a sweet heart loves to be pet purrs. My wife has set him up under our bed with food and litter box is this a bad idea?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old are these kittens?

If this is an older kitten- 6 months or better, he might either be playing, or stressed. Is the litter seperated for some reason? Is there a good place where this kitten can hide? Do you have a cat carrier available? If so, wash it out really well and dry it off, put in one old bathtowel for a bed- feral kittens are not used to "soft" things. Drape a cloth over the carrier leaving enough room for the kitten to get inside, prop open the door and leave this "kitty cave" in a dark corner of the room so he can hide.

Do not force the other kitten out of hiding, instead, go into the room and sit down on the floor near the bed. Take out a book and read softly to the kitten out loud. Keep your tone low, he will hear you. When you leave, leave the kitty a tasty meaty treat where the imprint of your body was on the floor. Do this on a schedule so the kitten will come to expect your visits at certain times during the day.

Also feed, water and scoop litter pans on schedule as well. He is hiding because he has no concept of humans. His safe place is under the bed, getting on your hands and knees and pulling him out to force him to accept you, will only set you back in the bonding process. Do not put the food and litter pan under the bed, but rather near the bed and always in the same place. Do not have the food saucers and litter pans so close that the litter can contaminate the food area. If this kitten does come out of hiding, avoid looking directly at him. If you make eye contact, blink your eyes several times slowly then lower your head. Try not to make eye contact for this will just serve to scare the kitten more.

Good luck

jaztile

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
these cat are almost a year old he was first caught he's very friendly we are keeping him the other 5 are going to be tamed and adopted out

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

these cat are almost a year old he was first caught he's very friendly we are keeping him the other 5 are going to be tamed and adopted out
Jaztile...you didn't answer my question...are all these cats spayed/neutered?? It is very important given their age to make sure they are all fixed.

Katie

jaztile

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Katie
Yes we have paid for out of our pocket so far for 6 spay and neuters 2 to go. What happened was momma cat had a litter of 6 last year we saw them one day as kittens then never again. We found out that the neighbor was feeding them. then this year she had 4 kittens we caught her neutered her caught the 4 kittens neutered them and adopted them out. these cat last years litter are older but i handle all 5 of them they all are friendly but scared. i play with them i lay with them they are in a spare bedroom with no furniture i have boxes so the can go in the one male tears up the boxes so I'm going to get something a Little more durable.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

they are in a spare bedroom with no furniture i have boxes so the can go in the one male tears up the boxes so I'm going to get something a Little more durable.
I ask again.

Do they have scratching-posts?

it is probably why he tears the cardboax-boxes.

jaztile

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

I ask again.

Do they have scratching-posts?

it is probably why he tears the cardboax-boxes.
Yes he does

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i play with them i lay with them they are in a spare bedroom with no furniture i have boxes so the can go in the one male tears up the boxes so I'm going to get something a Little more durable.
They are probably bored if there is nothing for them to play with....and yes, scratching posts would be very beneficial. I would also look to make a cat tree so that they have places to sit and climb. Also, provide them with some toy mice and balls.

Is the male in question one of the intact cats?

Katie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

no he's fixed
He could simply be more active then his siblings...so you should look for a home that will provide him with lots of things to do.

As for the cat that is hiding...there is a very useful thread about a cat called "lucky" who hid under a bed and what his caretaker did to work with him:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11395

Katie

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had very good luck getting Brady to come out from under the bed (guest bedroom) by tossing treats at him. Today you would never know he was feral. Of course each cat is different and I do not have that much experience.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
the positive here is he isnt no longer feral. A feral would hide, he wouldnt feel himself unoccupied and restless...

Thus said, he have use for toys and something to do.