Cracked Pads?

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ever since Ive had Nazumi his pads have been really cracked. They arent extremely dry but they look painful from all the cracks in them.
Any ideas on what could be causing them to crack like that? Like I said they dont really feel dry. It almost looks like they are trying to peel but cant. But they are peeling! The new skin always looks cracked after about a day though. Any ideas on how to fix this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nazumi is 7 months old and Ive had him a month.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he go outside? He could be building callouses on his feet. You can use Bag Balm to help smooth and protect them.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Does he go outside? He could be building callouses on his feet. You can use Bag Balm to help smooth and protect them.
I never even thought of bag balm! I will definatly try that. But no my cats are indoor only. But he was outdoor before I got him.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another recommendation for Bag Balm here! That stuff works wonderfully!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ping's feet sometimes has that cracked looked but doesn't feel dry. Where could I get some of this bag balm?

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Ping's feet sometimes has that cracked looked but doesn't feel dry. Where could I get some of this bag balm?
You can get Bag Balm at walmart or any drug store.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will look for it next time I am at Wal-Mart.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Another vote for bag balm (although, of late I've been a bad mama and have forgotten to apply it!)... Oliver was a street kitty before I took him in and although his feet feel smooth as a baby bum, they look like they're all dry and cracked... I just rub a little in his feet and try to distract him long enough to let some soak in - he always eventually ends up licking his feet though, haha...

Note: you may have to ask at the pharmacy counter if you cant find the bag balm on the shelf by the lotions... I had to do this at CVS, I asked the pharmacist if there was any reason it was kept back there and he said simply cuz they don't have room on the shelf! haha (btw, it comes in a big, square green can with red and white writing)

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Another vote for bag balm (although, of late I've been a bad mama and have forgotten to apply it!)... Oliver was a street kitty before I took him in and although his feet feel smooth as a baby bum, they look like they're all dry and cracked... I just rub a little in his feet and try to distract him long enough to let some soak in - he always eventually ends up licking his feet though, haha...

Note: you may have to ask at the pharmacy counter if you cant find the bag balm on the shelf by the lotions... I had to do this at CVS, I asked the pharmacist if there was any reason it was kept back there and he said simply cuz they don't have room on the shelf! haha (btw, it comes in a big, square green can with red and white writing)
Is there anything wrong with cats licking this stuff off their feet?

Teddy's feet get very cracked, but it doesn't seem to bother him at all. We've asked the vet, and they've said that he's fine, but I've considered trying to put something on his feet. However, because he has digestive problems, I hesitate to put anything on him that he could eat!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't their should be any issues with them ingesting it--it's mostly petroleum and lanolin, with a bit of antiseptic. Since it is commonly used or recommended by vets, I don't think there should be any issues with cats licking a little off their feet.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MNJULZ

Could he be allergic the litter?
I dont think its that since he already had the cracked paws when I got him. Unless they used the same litter at the shelter? I might try to switch litter in his box and see if that helps. I got some bag balm and put it on him. He wasnt happy at all and kept meowing very patheticly. I hope that helps.

malynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has always had kind of dry flaky looking pads, he is 4 years old, recently they started to crack and bleed. Took him to the cat vet and she said it was pododermatitis. He is on prednisone now for 3 weeks and is so much better. If it gets worse you may want to take your cat in and see if thats what it might be.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't had a cat with cracked pads, but my dog had that as a pup. I started giving her fish oil every day and that solved the problem. It would be worth a try - fish oil is very good for cats in any case.