Joint supplements for dogs?

ailurophilia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dogs are older than any of my cats, one is going to be 8 years old soon enough and one is over 10 years old. I've noticed that the both of them sometimes struggle to get going in the morning, which leads me to believe their joints might be sore, or they might be arthritic. I've asked the vets about this during exams, and they never did admit they did have any joint issues (my dogs were there for other reasons).

Regardless, I want to put them on a joint supplement and see how they react. What is a good one? Where do I start? Do they have them by prescription? What about anything from Drs Foster and Smith?

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get them out of dog magazines such as the one you mentioned. I would suggest Glucosomine or Yucca.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have stopped using all glucomine and chodrotin supplements and started using this www.trixsyn.com... This stuff works way better in my dog and my cat ... I always used human glucosime / condrotin/ msm due to them having less"junk"

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you should take your dogs to the vet and have them checked out and then go from there. what someone that isn't a licensed vet suggests what you should get isn't a good idea. your dog could have a bad reaction or something. and if you can't afford the prescripition, ask your vet if there is an over the counter supplement you can try.
good luck! oh and what breed(s) are your dogs?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

you should take your dogs to the vet and have them checked out and then go from there. what someone that isn't a licensed vet suggests what you should get isn't a good idea. your dog could have a bad reaction or something. and if you can't afford the prescripition, ask your vet if there is an over the counter supplement you can try.
good luck! oh and what breed(s) are your dogs?
Very good idea and what I use is given to me by my vet .... But in this case I think it is more a maintence issue or assistance in aging

eagleeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 12 year old dog, Stockey, has mild arthritis in his hips. I suspected he was having a problem so I asked the vet to check specifically for arthritis. I've tried a couple of supplements for him -- Osteo3 and Joint Support Plus. The vet sells them right there in his office (our vet is quite reasonable). Both supplements work equally well but Stockey prefers the taste of JSP better.