I cant wait!!!!

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well a few days ago we went to the animal shelter they had 2 4 month old ragdoll mix kittens a male and female. Soooooooo pretty I fell in love but talked myself out of them the male had a very icky bottom with poop caked on his backside.

So friendly the female let my son carry her all around.
Well guess what I am getting for x-mas my husband went back to the shelter and paid for the female. He wanted to get the male also but was worried about it being sick because of the rear end problem. I am picking her up tomorrow so we can take her to the vet before bringing her home.

He really wants to think about getting the brother also but dobt know. Now my husband dont really like cats so I am just amazed that he fell in love with both of them. I feel bad for seperating them but since we already have cats and a dog. I dont know whatwould you all do?? What could the problem be with the other kitten?

I am just worried about bringing something home to my cats already. But i just keep seeing both of there beautifull faces looking at us. I also am now thinking that our new baby is sitting in a cage waiting for us. I cant wait for tomorrow.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations!

Oh Please go back and get her brother. The poop could be from just being stuck in a cage. Im sure the vet will let you know what it is and help with the situation. You are going to have to keep them separated from your cats anyway as you do the introductions. With them being 4 months old already, they are so used to each other. He will probablly get so sad to see his sister go. I hope you go back to get her brother.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know ive never seen such beautifull kittens. They say ragdoll mix but they look just absolutly perfect. Its gonna be so hard to wait for tomorrow morning. I would get her today but I want to take her to the vet right away before bringing her home. They said the owners had to get rid of both of them cause they found out there son has allergies. Never seen so laid back cats. They just are so relaxed when being held.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you going to see if you can get the brother, too? That would be so great if you could.

Ragdolls are known for such a sweet temperament, very loving and loyal kitties. I hope you PLEASE take her brother since they are already so use to being together.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Congratulations!

Oh Please go back and get her brother. The poop could be from just being stuck in a cage. Im sure the vet will let you know what it is and help with the situation. You are going to have to keep them separated from your cats anyway as you do the introductions. With them being 4 months old already, they are so used to each other. He will probablly get so sad to see his sister go. I hope you go back to get her brother.
About a month ago I was helping out at Petsmart adoption day for Animal Control (who I foster from) and this one kitten pooped in the litterbox and then proceeded to sit in it. So I would definatly get the little boy too. BTW If he has something she will to because they were together. But I bet he pooed and didnt cover it and then sat in it.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you go and get the brother too. You will find that with raggies you can't just have one. You will want to get another one any way, so you might as well get him now, LOL!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YES! go and get the brother! I'm sure they just have it stuck on them from having such long hair and so little room to go and cover it.
It'd be a great gift to both you and those kitties of they got a home together to live out the rest of their days.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We are gonna check it out. I am soooo excited cant wait till tomorrow!!!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also vote that you get her brother too. They are litter mates and are used to each other and love each other. Also, you'll be rescuing one more kitty

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Right the other thing we are having a prob with is the cost. It costs $120 to adopt one cat plus the cost of getting them fixed later on. We already paid for the female and gonna have the expense of taking it to the vet. Vet wouldnt be much more with 2 but the cost of fixing them and also another 120 to get the male. We are going in the morning so we will see what happens. I am hoping we could get a discount if we decide to get the male also.

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most agencies offer a discount if you adopt 2. I can't imagine them not being totally thrilled about you taking both, and they are litter-mates, so it's extra special. Congratulations on the new addition, hopefully new additions.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by april31

Right the other thing we are having a prob with is the cost. It costs $120 to adopt one cat plus the cost of getting them fixed later on. We already paid for the female and gonna have the expense of taking it to the vet. Vet wouldnt be much more with 2 but the cost of fixing them and also another 120 to get the male. We are going in the morning so we will see what happens. I am hoping we could get a discount if we decide to get the male also.
They aren't altered already? And they charge 120 adoption fee! I am surprised they charge so much and don't fix them, with so many "free for the taking" kitties out there.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

They aren't altered already? And they charge 120 adoption fee! I am surprised they charge so much and don't fix them, with so many "free for the taking" kitties out there.
When we adopted our girls it was about $140 for both of them and it included their spaying and things. They also offered to refund a certain portion if we had them spayed at our own vet, which we did, but did not ask for the refund.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

Yeah, that's actually kind of apalling. I hate that some shelters don't alter every animal...that gives us shelters and rescuers such a bad name.

I'd say that if you can afford to give the little boy a home for up to 20 years, adopt him. You'll need to separate the resident kittie from the new kitties and have the new kitties checked out by a vet asap anyway, so you can nip anything in the bud there. Be on the lookout for URI symptoms, not eating, not using the box and constipation/diarrhea in these little guys. I doubt your shelter offers any health insurance if they don't even fix the cats, so I'll just tell you that these are pretty common symptoms of treatable conditions that crop up because of the stress of moving into their new home...we see these things happen most often in kittens and they generally need to be treated to GI disturbances or minor URI's if they have these symptoms.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Yeah, that's actually kind of apalling. I hate that some shelters don't alter every animal...that gives us shelters and rescuers such a bad name.

I'd say that if you can afford to give the little boy a home for up to 20 years, adopt him. You'll need to separate the resident kittie from the new kitties and have the new kitties checked out by a vet asap anyway, so you can nip anything in the bud there. Be on the lookout for URI symptoms, not eating, not using the box and constipation/diarrhea in these little guys. I doubt your shelter offers any health insurance if they don't even fix the cats, so I'll just tell you that these are pretty common symptoms of treatable conditions that crop up because of the stress of moving into their new home...we see these things happen most often in kittens and they generally need to be treated to GI disturbances or minor URI's if they have these symptoms.
Not altering every animal isn't what gives shelters and rescues a bad name, charging redicules adoption fees for them not altered is. Early altering is just NOT available for some areas. I am a breeder (I already know what you have to say about that) I had to call literally 20-30 vets to find on that would alter my kittens before I placed them, I had one vets office even laugh at me and tell me I won't find one in Maine that will. But I did, and I do pediatric alters, but it is hard to find vets to do it. Even though the shelters I worked at doesn't alter every animal, and requires babies to be done at 6 months, they had a smaller adoption fee and it covered a free health exam, rabie shot, distemper, de-worming, tested neg for distemper, heart worms, ect, micro-chip, and a deposit on altering. When the new owner has it done, they already have $50 paid towards it, so if they don't do it, they loose their $50. I would like to see them at least alter all the adults, but they don't, atleast they have a deposit in the adoption fee (which BTW is still less then the $120 at OP's shelter) Oh, also included in the adoption fee, even though they don't even fix their animals, is a month of free health insurance.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That $120 without a spay sounds strange to me too. Around here none of the shelters will let you walk out the door with an unspayed/neutered cat or dog. The day I adopted Peewee they weren't sure if they could fit him in for a neuter and then the vet was going on vacation for a week so he'd be stuck in that cage the whole time... so I asked if I could get him neutered at my vet and was flatout denied. She said they used to let people do that, but then people were becoming neglectful and not getting it done. So now, doesn't matter what age it is, you can't walk out the front door with an unspayed cat/dog. They leave them in the cages unspayed, and then when you pay the adoption fee they alter them then. They also do first shots, and Peewee's adoption fee was only... $59 or $69 (give or take a dollar)

My dogs were more expensive (Karma was $100 and I think Buddha was either $100 or $150), but they too came with a spay/neuter/shots/deworming/etc.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a higher adoption fee than is charged here. At the main shelter here it is $60.00 for an adult and $70.00 for a kitten and they are altered before they leave the shelter. We have a vet school here though. Students, under the supervision of a professor, do the health checks and the altering though. That would definitely reduce the cost.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok just to clarify a little. MOST of the animals are fixed before leaving the shelter. But they know us and know that all of our animals get fixed so they are willing to let us take them before. We have to sign a paper saying they will be fixed within 30 days though. But usually alwasy they are fixed before leaving the shelter.

We have a appointment at the vet today for 3:45. Tim told them we would pick her/maybe him up at 11:00 not sure if I should wait to pick them up until the appointment. That will be difficult but might be the best thing for them as not too stress them out any more.

I am gonna call the shelter and have them save a stool sample when they clean out the cage. So we will already have that.

I think adoption fee is too high honestly.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
2 hrs to go!!!!!!! Right now looks like we are only gonna get the female. Money is alittle tight since its right after x-mas. Really cant afford to buy the male and get them both fixed in a month. I'll let you all know what happens and what the vet thinks.