Having second thoughts about getting a cat...

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey everyone, I'm supposed to finally take my Bengal home after a month, the thing is, I started my new job this week, and monday through fridays, I'm out of my apartment from 7am to 6pm, and now I'm having second thoughts, is it fair to leave him there alone for that long?

I appreciate everybody's input.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'd also recommend getting two, as they can keep themselves occupied while you're at work. You wouldn't necessarily have to get another Bengal. Perhaps you could adopt a shelter cat of around the same age?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I'd also recommend getting two, as they can keep themselves occupied while you're at work. You wouldn't necessarily have to get another Bengal. Perhaps you could adopt a shelter cat of around the same age?
Agree. I had a single cat for many years and used to work long hours. It wasn't fair to adjust him to a second cat when he was older, so after he crossed, I started adopting in pairs. Two cats will keep each other company and they don't need to be the same breed.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just going to say exactly what the others have said. Get TWO!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks everyone, unfortunately, I can't get 2, I'm only allowed one cat in my building, so really my choices are one cat, or none. can leaving the little guy for almost 12 hours a day fair? or should I just hold off on adopting him?

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this a kitten?

I have one five year old cat, and she wants company with me all the time when I'm here since I am away at work 10 hours a day. Now that i'm on holiday she's acting like a demanding kitten.

An older cat can deal with absences better than a baby. You obviously can't have two.
Is there someone who can look in on the cat during the day?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if you can't have two and the bengal is a baby (and a very active cat); perhaps it would be better to back out now (hopefully the breeder has more on his/her list for adoption).

I'd look for an older cat - 1 to 2 yrs old that is more laid back. Kittens by themselves will get lonely and may get into more trouble while you are away.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about adopting older shelter cats (one at a time) that otherwise would be slated for kitty heaven in the near future?

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
An older cat would be ideal for you. Many older kitties prefer to be single cats, and they'll sleep most of the day or entertain themselves. My dear Patches is sitting next to me now and sleeping. She's 18, and she's been actually happier since our other old girl passed away.

If you want a bengal, maybe explain the problem to your breeder, and ask if they have any breeders that are ready for retirement. A retired purebred will also be cheaper than a kitten. Maybe they will allow you to put your deposit toward the purchase of a retiree?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jericho 2550

thanks everyone, unfortunately, I can't get 2, I'm only allowed one cat in my building, so really my choices are one cat, or none. can leaving the little guy for almost 12 hours a day fair? or should I just hold off on adopting him?
If you are having second thoughts, then my advice would be to err on the side of caution and not get the cat.

I used to work 12 hour shifts and my cat was home alone, and the time I was home I was so exhausted from work that all I had time to do was come home, make my 3 meals for the next day, maybe do a load of laundry and then fall into bed.

The shift is 12 hours long, and the other 12 hours of the day you have to fit in:

- sleep
- getting ready for work
- travel time to work
- travel time home
- anything else you need to do

That doesn't leave a whole lot of time to devote to a cat, especially a new one who needs reassurance.

My vote is to not get the cat and wait until you are working more sane hours that will allow you to spend time with it beyond 1/2 an hour a day during the week and a bit more on weekends.

Thank you for thinking of the cat's needs.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bab-ush-niik

If you want a bengal, maybe explain the problem to your breeder, and ask if they have any breeders that are ready for retirement. A retired purebred will also be cheaper than a kitten. Maybe they will allow you to put your deposit toward the purchase of a retiree?
I think that's a great idea, that way you still get your breed of choice.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An older cat should be fine with your schedule. I disagree that you should not have one at all; you ARE home each day, and that should be sufficient. Older cats can deal with being along during the day. Kittens can't.

If your job involves extended stays away from home, I'd reconsider getting the pet, but only then.

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update, GREAT NEWS!!!

I spoke to my management office, since I own my apartment, the rule really doesn't apply, I can't believe this, I'm getting 2 Bengals!!! my original Bengal and his sister, now is it completely ok to be out of the house 10 hours a day if both are there entertaining each other?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you nail down everything that moves and most of what doesn't! Seriously, you'll have to 'cat-proof' things for the sake of your stuff and for their sakes. You wouldn't believe what they can get into, or what they can wreck, so just go minimalist with everything if you can, except for a great big cat-tree with lots of perches and hide-a-ways. Do have lots of little balls, etc. around for them to play hockey with (though most will be under the furniture when you get home).

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

As long as you nail down everything that moves and most of what doesn't! Seriously, you'll have to 'cat-proof' things for the sake of your stuff and for their sakes. You wouldn't believe what they can get into, or what they can wreck, so just go minimalist with everything if you can, except for a great big cat-tree with lots of perches and hide-a-ways. Do have lots of little balls, etc. around for them to play hockey with (though most will be under the furniture when you get home).
I will definitely consider that, the thing is, I don't have much furniture, or anything breakable, the only breakable things are in the kitchen, like, plates and cups, and the kitchen is off limits, my living room has a $120 couch and 2 $20 dollar nylon chairs, my TV is valuable, but it weighs over 200 pounds, so I think my apartment comes standard with cat proofing

thanks for all the advice, and any new advice is welcome!

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jericho 2550

I will definitely consider that, the thing is, I don't have much furniture, or anything breakable, the only breakable things are in the kitchen, like, plates and cups, and the kitchen is off limits, my living room has a $120 couch and 2 $20 dollar nylon chairs, my TV is valuable, but it weighs over 200 pounds, so I think my apartment comes standard with cat proofing

thanks for all the advice, and any new advice is welcome!
If by chance your TV is an LCD or Plasma, (actually I'm not sure about a plasma screen), you will want to get something to protect the screen. Kitty claws can really reek havoc on those.

Besides a good cat tree, my cats love the nylon cat tunnel to play in and around. They are not expensive and they fold up to nothing if you need to put it out of the way. I watch them dive into it, chase each other through it and attack one another through the gaps where I have two sections tied together.

You'll have to post pictures of your babies when you get them.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations and enjoy your two new babies!
Toilet paper rolls (empty) are excellent cheap toys, and I'd invest in a few toy mice!

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And don't underestimate the power of an old cardboard box, or several that have been taped together with windows and doors cut into them. Free entertainment!

Enjoy!

ps---don't forget to spay and neuter!!!!