Cat doesn't want to go outside.

hrp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know most of you are hardcore advocates for indoor-only, but I honestly believe that cats should be let outside of the house and should be allowed to hunt and run around and have fun.

One of my cats has been very reluctant to go outside. Everyonce in awhile if I have the door open while I'm bring groceries in or something he'll run out and we won't see him for a few hours, but he typically will not go out on his own. I don't necessarily want to force him to go outside, but I don't want him to be an indoor cat all his life.

Any ideas?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he chooses to be an indoor cat then will that be ok with you? Some cats would rather be inside than out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hrp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suppose. He's not very active and that's why I want him to go outside.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I think you have one very smart cat there. The outside is dangerous. Feral cats defending their territory, vermin that carry fleas and rabies, poisonous plants and bugs, hell, I'd stay inside too.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have things in the house to encourage him to be more active? It's little things like placing their food/water on platforms (the washer/dryer are great) to force them to jump up and down. Tall cat condos by windows for them to climb up and down.

I understand your opinion about wanting him to be outside, but if doesn't want to go, why force it?

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

Personally I think you have one very smart cat there. The outside is dangerous. Feral cats defending their territory, vermin that carry fleas and rabies, poisonous plants and bugs, hell, I'd stay inside too.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
It just breaks my heart to see any cat outside, especially since I've seen my neighbors cat get hit with a car this summer ( Garfield is fine, thank God ) and have seen so many close calls with Kidd ( now known as Elliott ) and cars.

Speaking of the little bugger he's is just a little sweetie and LOVES being inside.
I went out on the upstairs porch yesterday and left the door open..he looked outside for about a second, turned around and went back to playing with the other cats.
I'd say he's one smart boy!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats with bad memories of what happened to them "outside" will not go outside even if you want them to. One of the rescues a few years ago, Starlight (thread in the SOS forum at the top) is one of those cats.

If your cat is happy indoors, then you should be relieved. Although there are dangers inside, there are more dangers outside. Having seen cats shot with arrows, used for target practice, doused with gas and set on fire, poisoned or coming home with cat bites, inside living is a much safer option.

There are so many hazards outside, not to mention the real possibility of losing this cat forever. Considering all of that, perhaps you might reconsider letting him stay indoors.

*I have outside cats as well as inside. My outside cats are true ferals and reject any type of confinement. I live with my heart in my throat most of the time hoping they stay safe at least for another year.*

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd read the 'lost cat' posts on this site before considering letting a cat 'hunt and play and have fun' outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hrp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should have expected these kind of responses.

It's just surprising to me because every cat that I've ever had has liked being outside more than being inside.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HRP- it isn't a matter of cats liking it outside, most cats love it outside. The problem is that is it is no longer safe for them to be outside. There are sick, twisted people who might even be your neighbors, who dislike cats to the point that great harm comes to the cats through their hands. Even where I live which used to be quite rural, things are changing, roads are widening, more people moving in to get away from the city. More cars on the roads means the likihood of cats colliding with them will occur. I have seen kids intentionally run over animals on the road here, even if they have to move over lanes to do it.

Cats instinctively want outside, they want to climb trees, run and play and hide when they want. But again it is NOT safe. All my older cats here were once strictly inside/outside cats. But our vet bills were through the roof and I lost many wonderful feline friends. When Tazzy got hit by a car, had to have her leg amputated and then developed brain lesions from the impact and we had to put her down, that was IT for me. Hubby and I built from the ground up a cat enclosure. It is 35 feet long, 16 feet wide and 6 feet high. They have the best of both worlds out there, access it through two tunnels running to our dining room window. Best of all, they are perfectly safe there.

If I had my druthers, in a perfect world, I would let all my cats outside. But again, sadly it just isn't safe.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geezzzzzzzzz if the cat wants to be an indoor kitty - LET HIM ! If you have a screened in porch the cat can sit out there for fresh air.

Or find him a new home with someone that wants a totally indoor kitty.

IMO the cat is smart - he knows where its a lot safer

simonspokescat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Simon likes going outside and we take him on a leash sometimes. I too think it's great for cats to be able to go outside but you know it really depends on the cat and the area. I think you do have to let your cat decide though...

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ashley would love to stay indoors but I do not let him. He stays outside with his pal Buddy. Wawa won't let them in. And if he had his way, those two would not be allowed within a mile of the property. Fortunately there is no winter in the tropics and A and B keep away from Wawa and do not go off to the neighbors or the streets. A and B are what I consider smart cats.

foxfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You may want to get your cat walking on a leash, and take him out periodically to a safe area. I bought a cat walking jacket and a retractible leash. It took a while for him to get used to the jacket, but he's walking much better with it by now.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also believe cats should get to play and have fun and get some fresh air... but I also believe it is my responsibility to keep her safe and away from the dangers that she is unaware of. She trusts all humans, because none have ever mistreated her, so she would quickly make friends with someone whose intention is to kill her or worse. So, I make sure she has plenty of window space, toys, scratch posts and a tree, interaction with me, she even travels a few times a year, and I bring her outside with me, on a leash, a few times a week weather permitting. Perhaps, if you really want your cat to go out, you could try coaxing her with you, she may feel more secure that way. Or she might just not like it at all. (Sorry, he). He just might be a homebody, like some people are, and that's his personality. If so, make sure he has plenty of stimulation. Also, what is the cats background? If cats are raised for their first couple years as indoor-only, most have no desire whatsoever to go outside. I lived with a cat that would sit in front of a wide-open door for an hour or more and not so much as put a toe on the porch.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I respect your opinion that cats should go outside, though I do not agree. Your cat does not seem to have any interest going outside. Can you still love your cat and care for her/him if he always wants to be outside. Some cats have no desire to be outside. And because of that they should not be forced the owners should just understand their cat does not wanna be an outside cat, even part time.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oz used to be a stray cat, and in all the time he's lived with us (more than two years), he's never shown any inclination towards going outside. (Which is good, 'cause he and Spike are both indoor-only cats.) I think his time as a stray was unpleasant enough that the "great outdoors" holds little appeal for him. It's possible that your cat is the same -- or maybe your cat just appreciates the finer things in life, such as a warm place to sleep, good food to eat and a distinct lack of rain or snow.

I can respect your opinion on having an outdoor cat, although that set-up wouldn't work for me (I live on a busy street in a neighbourhood with lots of wild animals, and one of my cats is brain-damaged -- I have nightmares about him escaping). I know we have a number of overseas members who do have outdoor cats, where it's much more the norm than it is here in Canada and in the US, so perhaps they can provide better advice. My only advice would be to try and make the outdoors as pleasant and safe as possible for your cat. Perhaps an enclosure with things your cat associates with security, like a blanket that smells like you or some toys? Or maybe you could take your cat out on a leash, as other members have suggested? (I've considered doing that with my own cats, but frankly I'm terrified about Spike getting away -- I don't see Oz taking to the leash at all.)

If your cat is truly disinterested in or frightened of the outdoors, you may have to accept that you have an indoor cat, and find ways to keep him stimulated inside. Indoor cats can and do lead exciting, stimulating lives: my own two boys have a ton of toys (cat trees, old socks stuffed with catnip, fuzzy mice, toilet paper rolls, you name it!), plus the many windows in our apartment provide twenty-four-hour access to Kitty TV. Both my cats are active and happy, and I don't think they're missing out on anything by being kept inside. Maybe your cat simply feels the same way about it?

miamispartan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tigger goes thru phases where she wants to be outdoors more than in. Currently, however, she's sleeping on our bed right now.

I guess she's in her indoor phase now....

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand what everyone is saying but can't help noticing that when a cat wants to be indoor the common comment is LET HIM DO WHAT HE WANTS!!! But when the cat wants out the word is NO NO NO.

my cats are outdoor/indoor

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

I understand what everyone is saying but can't help noticing that when a cat wants to be indoor the common comment is LET HIM DO WHAT HE WANTS!!! But when the cat wants out the word is NO NO NO.

my cats are outdoor/indoor
Ah, but cats who are never taught to be outdoor cats usually have no desire to go outside, whereas a cat who is a stray will often adjust quite well to indoor-only. IMO, the only cats who should be outside unsupervised are those like Hissy's ferals whose options are often very sadly being outside or being put down by the shelter. My guess is that you don't have to force your cats to come inside except occasionally, while the OP is talking about trying to convince his cat to go outside. You're comparing apples to oranges.
The common argument for letting cats outside unsupervised is often "cats want to go outside" and really there is no other argument for the proven detriments to their health and well-being. But that argument is void here, because this cat does not want to go out and therefore there is absolutely no argument for encouraging it. So, since there are always numerous good reasons for keeping a cat in, and in this case not a single reason for him to be outside, the obvious answer becomes, let the cat stay inside!