He ate a 2 inch piece of nylon.

jokieman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well last night I set up the Panic Mouse we bought, and Poe proceeded to eat the nylon tail off of the thing before I could get it away from him. It was a 2 inch long piece. Is he in for trouble?

We had to take away all his feather toys because they don't hold up to his playing (Even Da-Bird wasn't strong enough). We found a new toy that he absolutely loves that uses leather string which I figure should be digestable if he happens to swallow a piece (Leather is nothing more than the skin off a cow. :p) , however it's holding up much better than I expected and that hasn't been an issue yet.

I popped a bit of Nutro in his bowl today to loosen his stool a bit and hopefully get the nylon out (it seems to give him the runs if he eats too much of it.)

He's otherwise been fine but I worry about blockages.

D.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd keep a close eye on his litter box to ensure he passes the nylon. If he doesn't pass it in a couple days I would have him x-rayed at the vet. Some cats have had to have surgery because they ate some string that got tangled around their intestines. If my memory serves me correctly, one of them died because they found the obstruction too late.

You might want to ensure he is eating and drinking and of course using the litterbox.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nylon might pass through since it's pretty slick. It would be a good idea to call the vet and tell him or her what happened.

I remove all button eyes and dangly things from mouse toys before giving them to Gizmo. and I replace the nylon strings on most toys with leather shoelaces from the drugstore. Where did you find a toy with a leather string already attached?

I hope Poe is well soon, but with a kitten you MUST modify commercial toys and supervise his play. Never let him have a toy until you have taken off anything that could be swallowed (and yes this would include felt ears.)

They make refills for Da Bird. It's supposed to get chewed up.

cheers and happy Christmas to you and Poe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jokieman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's from Cats Claws Inc. It's a 30 inch long wand with a 24 or so inch cord that has an interchangeable tip. The one we picked up came with suede strands. The dye they use is safe for animals so they can tug and chew on it all they want.

We picked it up at petsmart for $10.00. A bit steep in price but the extra long wand and cord is good for us and for Poe. We've taken to calling him Air Poe because he will literally do back flips in the air trying to get at it as it goes by. His best height yet is about 2 feet off the ground.

He's 2 years old, not a kitty. I should have specified that. We called the vet and he said not to worry about it as long as he's eating and using the bathroom. (which he is). When we get a chance we're probably going to go pick up a few more of the cats claws wands/suede attachments and dump the feather stuff all together.

It sort of looks like this, only the suede is not attached directly to the wand, but to a cord instead. http://www.catsclaws.com/catalogue2.asp?ItemCategory=3

Their website doesn't have the exact model/attachment we got (though admittedly their website isn't really working very well. hehe.)

Wand: http://www.amazon.com/Cats-Claws-Fel...&s=home-garden

Tassle Attachment: http://www.amazon.com/Cats-Claws-I-C...&s=home-garden

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to hear that Poe is going to be fine. Many cat toys are actually not safe for the cats. Those Mylar things have to be the worst.
Feathers should be all right, except that the cat will destroy them quickly. My girl prefers fur, and I make the toys from leather shoe strings and bits of mink and rabbit fur.
Happy Christmas to you all!

zoiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it is the one with the leather strips, I wouldn't worry. I'm sure kitty should pass it with no problem. My cat has eaten the leather tails off mice since he was a kitten. I freaked out the first time and the vet said not to worry. I actually have gone through several of those toys that you bought. My cat loves to chew them up. I have to put them out of reach or he would eat the whole thing. Leather is a natural substance, kind of gross but sort of the same as cats eating mice, fur, feathers etc.. in the wild. Good luck.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zoiecat, this kitten ate nylon, not leather--so it could be pretty serious. Fortunately the stuff is slick and he should pass it easily. At least i hope he does.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jokieman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep he passed it. Yesterday he had an extremely long poo, which is different from what he's ever had before (they're usually in chunks) and I, uhh, checked it, and found the ribbon smack dab in the middle of it. hehe.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jokieman

Yep he passed it. Yesterday he had an extremely long poo, which is different from what he's ever had before (they're usually in chunks) and I, uhh, checked it, and found the ribbon smack dab in the middle of it. hehe.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
hahaha ahhh that was close one!
once mikey ate the string off of one of my shirts that tied around the neck...I noticed he smelt like poo and mikey is a very very clean cat.
I looked at his behind and saw this string haning outta his rear-end.
I assesed the situation and figured I would pull on in it gentely to see if it was almost out or not nearly out...well it was not nearly the end of the string lol....He let out a cry and inreturn I started to cry.
I thought how to help him...hmmmm
THen i realized a little milk usually makes him go #2 soon after he drinks it. So i cut off what i could of the string hanging from his rear and gave him some milk. about 2 hours later i heard him scratching around in his litter pan and out came the rest of the string. NO MORE STRING LEFT UNATTENDED IN OUT HOME anymore

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very wise move. Cats must continue swallowing anything they start to swallow because of the backward-pointing ridges on their tongues, so string is often fatal. I'd also remove tinsel, fringes, anything that could cause problems from the cat's vicinity.